You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My first, and still only time so far, was at a set of bust traffic lights. Worra prat I felt

My most perilous was riding slightly uphill to a set of traffic lights on red and could I unclip the bloody things. I shouted over to some old bloke on the pavement to catch hold of me but I think he was so startled he did nothing and just watched me fall. The bugger never even asked if I was ok

• 3 months later...

Got both of my bikes stolen the other week from my (locked) shed. Gutted.

Just waiting for the insurance to pay out before going for a new one. I'm still livid over someone breaking in in the first place.

The whole concept sickens me.

That's shite mate, boils my piss.

Got myself a road bike for the first time ever, just need to start using it, felt weird riding it after years of bmx and mountain biking. Just having sleepless nights now i have two carbon babies locked in my garage, they'd be in my bedroom if it wasn't for the wife.

That's shite mate, boils my piss.

Got myself a road bike for the first time ever, just need to start using it, felt weird riding it after years of bmx and mountain biking. Just having sleepless nights now i have two carbon babies locked in my garage, they'd be in my bedroom if it wasn't for the wife.

I reckon you'll be OK with them in a locked garage, mate. When I get my replacement bike I'll be fucked if I'm leaving it on the shed again though.

I don't know about that, if they want something and know it's there they'll find a way. The trick is to make it as hard as possible for them.

I want to set up a sort of "First Blood" type scenario in my garden where firstly they would have to negotiate various booby traps before they even make it to the shed. Then if they manage to get through the triple bolted door of the shed itself and so much as touch the bike that is inside it, bolted to the floor, either spears fly up and maim them or some sort of flame-throwing device singes them beyond recognition.

I would just worry that i would forget this myself at some stage and do my self some serious damage. 

And also that it's seriously against the law.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I've hardly done any cycling of note since last year. I've been struggling to motivate myself to get back in the saddle so I've just bought myself a Garmin Edge Explore 1000. Took it and myself out for a test run today and managed to do 80 miles on trusty hybrid.

Here's the route I did and stats of the ride. I'm sore as fuck but I'm feeling quite pleased with myself

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1189639099?share_unique_id=1 

I really want to try and do a Lands End to John o' Groats this year. I've looked on the net and there's a company that will provide me with a route and arrange all my overnight accommodation. I'm looking to do about 70 miles a day so it's going to take about 15 days to complete.

I'm unsure whether to do it on the hybrid or the road bike. I know L19 Red has done a LEJOG but not seen him on here for a while so any advice on route, accommodation, kit etc is welcome. I'm thinking of doing it on the hybrid as I want to avoid as many busy roads as possible.

• Upvote 1

I've hardly done any cycling of note since last year. I've been struggling to motivate myself to get back in the saddle so I've just bought myself a Garmin Edge Explore 1000. Took it and myself out for a test run today and managed to do 80 miles on trusty hybrid.

Here's the route I did and stats of the ride. I'm sore as fuck but I'm feeling quite pleased with myself

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1189639099?share_unique_id=1

I really want to try and do a Lands End to John o' Groats this year. I've looked on the net and there's a company that will provide me with a route and arrange all my overnight accommodation. I'm looking to do about 70 miles a day so it's going to take about 15 days to complete.

I'm unsure whether to do it on the hybrid or the road bike. I know L19 Red has done a LEJOG but not seen him on here for a while so any advice on route, accommodation, kit etc is welcome. I'm thinking of doing it on the hybrid as I want to avoid as many busy roads as possible.

Just the lazy 80 miles first time out. I think I've only done more than that about 3 times ever after working up to it for a couple of months.

My amateur tip is to count distances and speed in kilometres as it makes you go faster and further.

I would normally definitely do any long ride on a road bike as it's less effort than a hybrid. But for something as long as JOGLE I suppose you will need panniers full of stuff so it wouldn't really matter.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have an programs for building up fitness initially?

If I start with half of my 18 mile commute, and do intervals, will that help build up my stamina more? Or is steady state better in this scenario?

When you collect your bike, make sure you've been measured with it. A 54cm bike when you're really a 56cm will begin to show after a couple of rides.

With regards to the training for the 18 mile commute, have a ride when you get your bike and see what you get. Get yourself a little garmin watch or use the strata app on your phone for a rough measurement. If you can do half of it, you can just build that up by allowing extra time for your commute.

• Upvote 1

ROTOQ, 18 miles is a long old ride to work and back but if you've got basic fitness it shouldn't require any real training to do it

Maybe just leave super early the first day, to allow myself as much time as I can?

I'm actually really excited. Haven't owned a bike since I was about 17 (I'm 28 now).

Maybe just leave super early the first day, to allow myself as much time as I can?

I'm actually really excited. Haven't owned a bike since I was about 17 (I'm 28 now).

You'll be starting out at a decent time of year but get yourself a helmet, a rainproof/wind proof jacket and some padded gloves. The gloves are pretty much essential to save the palms of your hands on less than perfect roads

• 2 years later...

I had a bit of a slack year last year and after shocking myself on a social ride just before Christmas at how much bike fitness I’d lost my plan is to do better this year.

I arranged to do a ride with my friend this morning. She didn’t want to go too far as she’d not been out for a while but we did a big loop out towards the Union canal and it was fabulous. The sun was shining, hardly a breathe of wind. You can’t beat it when it’s like that. You’ll be hearing from me.

Anyone else planning anything this year?

Guest Kemlynreds

Didn’t touch the bike last year, need to get my arse in gear and get out. Need to have a target to aim for and have been thinking about doing the coasts and castles Newcastle to Edinburgh. But it’s still just thinking about it.

5 minutes ago, Kemlynreds said:

Didn’t touch the bike last year, need to get my arse in gear and get out. Need to have a target to aim for and have been thinking about doing the coasts and castles Newcastle to Edinburgh. But it’s still just thinking about it.

Tell me more