You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't at the moment but used to, why do you ask?

Just thinking of giving cycling a go. If only to give my brain some space.

whats your price range Numero?

Not sure, really. Just looking to start out, so probably not a £2k carbon jobbie.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Just got myself a new bike.Didn't spend a lot on it but am absolutely loving it. Got a computer to go with it to track time and distance which adds to the experience.

What did you get, Champ?

Just thinking of giving cycling a go. If only to give my brain some space.

Not sure, really. Just looking to start out, so probably not a £2k carbon jobbie.

Canyon | Homepage

check those guys out. They're the biggest selling bike brand in central europe, Not in shops btw.

dont let that put you off. These guys make the best bike for the cheapest prices ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. I race bikes myself and the amount of these around the scene is crazy, the bikes are just so bloody good.

they also supply the bikes to the Katusha Pro tour team. So to the layman they are used in the Tour De France.

trust me, you wont go wrong buying one of these. The equivalent Trek or Specilized will be 30% more expensive

What did you get, Champ?

Its a hybrid, really nothing fancy, but just wanted something to get me started. Was on offer.One of Edinburgh Bicycle Coop's own brands. I just wanted to see how much I would use it and if I did get into it could always get something a bit more technical... which I did might well do

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Its a hybrid, really nothing fancy, but just wanted something to get me started. Was on offer.One of Edinburgh Bicycle Coop's own brands. I just wanted to see how much I would use it and if I did get into it could always get something a bit more technical... which I did might well do

I'm looking to cover some miles every day - not actually racing (at least not yet, fuck me) - so I'll probably do the same. Get something to see if I get into it. Don't want anything too shabby though.

I'm looking to cover some miles every day - not actually racing (at least not yet, fuck me) - so I'll probably do the same. Get something to see if I get into it. Don't want anything too shabby though.

If your looking to get some good exercise cycling and your wanting to do sportives and getting out and about then buy a racer not a hybrid or a mountain bike. You will never go off road so you will never need to buy a mountain bike but you can cover distance much easier on a racer which will make cycling much more fun as you can geet out into the sticks.

Go for a specialized allez ellite which will cost about £900, you wont need to buy another bike, or if not that buy an Allez Sport. If you buy a mountain bike or a hybrid then you may find that you will want to buy a racer.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Definitely looking at a road bike, mate. Racer, probably. Already have a fancy MTB that I don't really use any more. Just looking at the Allez Sport right now.

Definitely looking at a road bike, mate. Racer, probably. Already have a fancy MTB that I don't really use any more. Just looking at the Allez Sport right now.

dont buy an Allez over a Canyon Roadlite 6.0, just look at the specs!!

here's how the grouping works .

Shimano, from their cheapest (worst) to most expensive (best) groupsets

2300 (cheapest)

Sora (cheap and crap, i can vouch for that)

Tiagra (a lot better than sora, but still shite)

105 (excellent grouset, basically ultegra only heavier)

ultegra (again, excellent groupset, only slightly heavier than Dua ace)

Dura Ace (the pro level standard, amazing groupset)

The Specilized allez has the 2300 groupset on it. its not very good. Granf frame though.

The Canyon roadlite 6.0 has better wheen then the allez, and has a full 105 groupset. The groupset alone costs about £300-400. You get way more bang for your buck with the Canyon. And this is coming from a guy that rides a Specilized!!!!

Guest Numero Veinticinco
how much is the Allez?

No idea. When I said that I was 'looking at it', I basically meant 'yeah, I just typed what you said into Google images'. I didn't mean I was looking to buy it. Those ones you linked looked quality. Just probably a bit more than a want to spend. Maybe £500, but nearly 1k is probably a bit much for a bike that I'm not 100% sure I'm going to get the most out of, at least to begin with.

i just checked, an Allez is about £600.

i get where you're coming from, i really do. But to put it into perspective

the groupset you'd get on the Canyon, for £800 has Shimano 105 blacl groupset, that on its own costs £500 to buy. The wheels the canyon comes with cost £200, thats £700 of components on an £800 bike.

trust me, you'll be better served paying the extra at the start. if you have the money of course. If not, then buy what the pocket allows

I've had 2 Specialized bikes, and you definitely pay a premium for the name, same as Treks. I reckon one set of decals on a frame should cost the same as any other set of decals, so fuck them. They're mostly made in the same factories anyway.

Those Canyons look to be good value to me. After looking through their site, they're much better looking than I expected too. I'd buy one of them over a Specialized.

All my bikes were bought/built for their looks and comfort first. I'm not racing and never will so absolute performance isn't such an issue for me. The actual differences are so tiny that only an elite racer will notice. It's the engine that counts.

i just checked, an Allez is about £600.

i get where you're coming from, i really do. But to put it into perspective

the groupset you'd get on the Canyon, for £800 has Shimano 105 blacl groupset, that on its own costs £500 to buy. The wheels the canyon comes with cost £200, thats £700 of components on an £800 bike.

trust me, you'll be better served paying the extra at the start. if you have the money of course. If not, then buy what the pocket allows

This,this and this again! Skimping out is pointless as You get what you pay for but then again once you get bitten by the cycling but you will probably want a new bike after a while anyway

It was only a matter of time, I suppose. Took my first hit today. Was turning right round a roundabout when a woman, all cosy in her blue Mini Cooper, drove straight at me as she attempted to exit causing me to fall off in my efforts to avoid being taken out by her completely. I ended up coming off my bike but wasnt hurt besides from bashing me knee and elbow and jarring my wrists.

My other near miss was with a woman entering a mini roundabout, apparently without even seeing I was there.

Ah, shit. Sorry to hear your scrape, Champ. Women, isn't it?

BTW, I've been looking at this:

Specialized Allez Sport Compact 2012 Road Bike | Evans Cycles

If you want my advice from my own experience then I would highly recommend spending an extra £200 and buying the Elite as you will get out on the roads and see other peoples bike and get a bit of envy as you realize that other peoples bike are shit hot. Don't get me wrong the bike your looking at has nothing wrong with it, but the Elite is a much better bike.

I would also recommend buying from a local independent bike shop as the people who work in them shops are cycling enthusiasts and as such have much more knowledge and experience than the people who work in the likes of Evans and Halfords. You also get a much better customer service in independent shops and if your bike goes wrong they don't mind you taking it in to get sorted. Chain shops make you feel very un welcome once you have bought your bike.