You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I would, yeah. Being out of the Champions League means we need to use every other possible asset to draw players to the club. Pep as manager and somebody like Cruyff in a role like DoF, or advisor, with David Dein as CEO, would attract a wealth of players. They'd know we mean business for the future.

Kenny is massive to us, but to 22 year olds from Germany or Spain (or England for that matter)? Nah. I want us to rebuild this football club by looking forward, not back. We harp on about our history, I want to get excited about the future.

Guardiola is a superb manager - but is unlikely to want to downgrade out of the CL.

NV's post is as it is. the opportunity for a fresh start and a fresh direction with FSG is there. A new management team of CEO, DOF and manager (of the calibre that NV suggests),and Kenny as a non-exec director would have the club firmly in the first decade of the 21st century rather than having one foot in the eighties, and the other in the Rafa era.

Context as in the key moments in the game and the effects they had. Messi has never scored against Chelsea, on another day he would have had a hat trick, maybe there is a hoodoo for him playing that team, something that isn't tangible for us to analyse. Messi is the best, most devastating player in the world, as a coach you do everything to maximise his game not hinder it, you find players like Villa and Sanchez who can play in the channels but also score goals.

You say Guardiola hasn't done enough tactically in his time as a coach and i'd say you haven't watched much of Barcelona in the last 4 years. He earned his chance with the work he did at Barcelona B, he came in to the job of coaching the first team when the club was at a crossroads, he wasn't the ideal candidate but since has gone on to win every trophy possible. He's done this, not only because he's had the best players at his disposal, but more importantly he's done it because he provided a platform for the likes of Messi with his tactics and his philosophy, introducing young players who have become key players, high energy pressing, quick passing, constant movement with the kind of freedom and fluidity that has been unplayable. They've won everything playing some of the best football this game has seen and that they've managed to maintain such a level for so long is testament to Guardiola's tactics and beliefs as a coach.

2 weeks ago people were saying Barca have hit their peak just at the right time of the season, they're going to win it all again. 2 defeats later and their season is pretty much over. How can you ditch a style of play that has served you so well for so long midway through a game and expect the players to immediately respond? It's not realistic is it? You cannot have a Lineker type goal poacher on the bench ready to slot in seamlessly just in case Messi n co are not firing on a certain day. It's not realistic, it's not a computer game where you can switch style of play modes midway through a game or a season.

Sometimes it's better not to try and analyse, just sit back, admire and enjoy.

Ah yes, that old chestnut, the unseen supernatural force which stops players scoring against particular clubs. Scuppered the tactical masterplan of many a top manager that has.

This different system I'm suggesting Guardiola and Barca could have adopted isn't a complete overhaul, it's just a small tweak to fit in a striker who's dangerous in the box and can cause more problems for resolute defences than any of their current squad bar Villa can. Barca wouldn't have to ditch their entire philosophy to accommodate a striker like Llorente or Soldado up front. They could still have Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Sanchez, Pedro and the rest interchanging behind and around him. The Spanish players in the side are perfectly fine playing this kind of system for Spain, and Messi's hardly going to suffer for it is he? He played a major part in winning two European Cups with Eto'o leading the line.

These are some of the most technically gifted footballers on the planet we're talking about here. I think you're doing them a pretty big disservice by saying they couldn't adapt to switch their game between two slightly different systems.

big question is who gets the Barca job? Luis Enrique was said to be lined up for it but he has not really pulled up any trees with Roma who have more money than they have had in a long time although Milan and Juve aside the Italian league is tight and they are still only a few points off 3rd

would think an internal appointment would be likely but don't know whos there, the only managers I can think off who immediately spring to mind as up to the top job in the world at the minute are Ferguson and Mourinho both of whom wouldn't be attainable, Rafa has always been linked with Madrid rather than Barca, know it sounds a little bit mad but I wouldn't be all that surprised if Villas Boas gets it if it doesn't go internal or Enrique

Villas-Boas could step in and keep Guardiola's seat warm while he's on sabbatical. But I think Bielsa looks like the better candidate should he win the Europa League with Athletic. He's also worked with Mascherano and Messi when he was the coach for Argentina so I think he's generally respected.

Can Pep Guardiola walk away from the team he built though?

Ah yes, that old chestnut, the unseen supernatural force which stops players scoring against particular clubs. Scuppered the tactical masterplan of many a top manager that has.

This different system I'm suggesting Guardiola and Barca could have adopted isn't a complete overhaul, it's just a small tweak to fit in a striker who's dangerous in the box and can cause more problems for resolute defences than any of their current squad bar Villa can. Barca wouldn't have to ditch their entire philosophy to accommodate a striker like Llorente or Soldado up front. They could still have Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Sanchez, Pedro and the rest interchanging behind and around him. The Spanish players in the side are perfectly fine playing this kind of system for Spain, and Messi's hardly going to suffer for it is he? He played a major part in winning two European Cups with Eto'o leading the line.

These are some of the most technically gifted footballers on the planet we're talking about here. I think you're doing them a pretty big disservice by saying they couldn't adapt to switch their game between two slightly different systems.

How do you explain it? Where is the logic behind Messi not being able to score against Chelsea? It's the magic of football and yes, these types of things do effect even the very best managers, like Guardiola.

Do you remember when Zlatan played for Barca? Or the reasons why Eto'o left? Messi is your focal point, you want players making room for him not standing in his way as a typical number 9. What you're asking isn't just a small tweak at all. Eto'o and Villa didn't play centrally for Barca whilst in the team with Messi. What does that tell you? (Also, Messi only established himself as a regular first team player after the CL win in 2006) He hasn't repeated his form for Argentina because there isn't the same platform there for him to perform. That team lacks balance.

There's a reason Messi has scored so many goals for Barca, it's because he's the spearhead. You want players who compliment his game, something a typical number 9 doesn't do. You build the team around him and then you have to keep faith with that idea.

You're doing Guardiola a disservice because your expectations are not in sync with reality.

Cant believe he's going to go but he mustnt want to ruin his legacy

With no money from the top the team is going to struggle due to lack of depth

Fair fucks to him for standing up for his beliefs

The barca fans will feel like we did when Kenny went back in the day

Would love him here but I reckon Romans millions will speak too loud

How do you explain it? Where is the logic behind Messi not being able to score against Chelsea? It's the magic of football and yes, these types of things do effect even the very best managers, like Guardiola.

Do you remember when Zlatan played for Barca? Or the reasons why Eto'o left? Messi is your focal point, you want players making room for him not standing in his way as a typical number 9. What you're asking isn't just a small tweak at all. Eto'o and Villa didn't play centrally for Barca whilst in the team with Messi. What does that tell you? (Also, Messi only established himself as a regular first team player after the CL win in 2006) He hasn't repeated his form for Argentina because there isn't the same platform there for him to perform. That team lacks balance.

There's a reason Messi has scored so many goals for Barca, it's because he's the spearhead. You want players who compliment his game, something a typical number 9 doesn't do. You build the team around him and then you have to keep faith with that idea.

You're doing Guardiola a disservice because your expectations are not in sync with reality.

There's nothing to explain about the Chelsea stat. There's no jinx or black magic involved, sometimes these things just happen. It's hardly a jaw-dropping stat anyway, Messi has only played against Chelsea 8 times I think. You'll be able to find lots of top players who have similar barren records against particular teams.

Zlatan was the wrong fit for Barca, that's why I deliberately didn't mention him. They'd need a striker who's actually be arsed to run about. I stand by Eto'o as an example though, he certainly did play central for Barca whenever I saw him. I never said Villa did, I know he doesn't and that's presumably the reason why he's rumoured to be unhappy there.

I stand corrected about Messi not being a regular starter until after the 2006 win, my memory's let me down there. I just remember him destroying Chelsea in the first leg of the knock-out round, and I'll stick my neck out and say he would have kept his place for the rest of the season if he hadn't done his hamstring in the second leg.

This idea of a number 9 "getting in the way" of Messi is ridiculous. It's not as if he's going to stand still on the edge of the box. If anything a dangerous striker would give opposition defences something else to worry about and create more space for Messi. Building the team around one player is a bad idea, what if he gets crocked? It's a team game. Playing a centre forward in the team might lose Barca 20 goals a season from Messi, but if they get the same number of goals back from the striker and are able to vary their play at the same time, that's an improvement overall.

If Messi's game is blunted by having a centre forward in the team then maybe he's not the best player in the world after all. Ronaldo is equally effective playing with or without a number 9.

I think Messi was a regular during the 05/06 season, he just didn't play the final as he wasn't fully fit, I remember on the day hoping he'd start as he'd tear Arsenal a new one, think the injury was also why he was on the bench for a lot of that world cup

Guest Pistonbroke
Second highest wage bill in world football.

£200m spent on players in the last 4 years.

Boofuckinghoooo

Plus they offered him an open chequebook to stay by all accounts.

Some looney cunts actually think he's coming to Liverpool. No doubt the same type that believe we should have signed Aguero instead of Carroll & Mata over Downing.

It'll be interesting to see how he copes without inheriting some of the best players in the world in their positions.

He'll not get away with playing no centre backs, full backs stood in the oppositions half all the time or his tippy tappy, no plan B at most other clubs. That much is for sure.

Some looney cunts actually think he's coming to Liverpool. No doubt the same type that believe we should have signed Aguero instead of Carroll & Mata over Downing.

It'll be interesting to see how he copes without inheriting some of the best players in the world in their positions.

He'll not get away with playing no centre backs, full backs stood in the oppositions half all the time or his tippy tappy, no plan B at most other clubs. That much is for sure.

heh

The backlash starts HERE kids!

*jumps on board*

Actually, you can't jump on board a backlash. That's for bandwagons. How can I show support for a backlash?

heh

The backlash starts HERE kids!

*jumps on board*

Actually, you can't jump on board a backlash. That's for bandwagons. How can I show support for a backlash?

You're mad as a box of frogs, and it scares me slightly that I agree with what you say often.*

*When you're not talking about the England u21 captain.

Fair play to the fella though, spent most of his career at barca and just wants a change. won all there is to win there an wants a challenge out of the barca limelight after maybe a break!

dont see Kenny going this summer and would be surprised if its a full 12 months before guardiola is back in a job therefore our paths may not cross but im surprised people are so negative about us being able to attract decent managers.

I remember when rafa came in and the situation wasnt that fuckin rosey then if i remember rightly. best players wanted out etc an rafa came on the back of major success in spain and we had also been close with mouriniho.

Yeh some of these modern players may just want the team who pays the best wages or who is now in the champs league but LFC is a major name around the world an were there top managers available an we had a vacancy then I dont doubt for a minute we could get one.