You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

pep for sure. and didn't mourhino say he would never mange liverpool once?

edit:hxxp://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/threads/194235-Mourinho-exclusive-i-ll-NEVER-manage-Liverpool-and-Gerrard-should-leave

Liverpool can forget about ever luring Jose Mourinho to Anfield.

He said: “Manchester United would be a great challenge for me. But Liverpool is not the club for me. I know why, but I cannot tell you.

Edited by justinius23
adding info

didnt know mouriniho said that. of course pep would be worth a shot if it came up but although it may sound daft not yet convinced on him. inherited 3 of best 5 attacking players in world.

not convinced on his transfer acumen. Sanchez was courted by the best teams all over europe so that was no surprise he worked out- prob equivalent to hazard now.

Suppose hes brought a lot of youth through.

But nobody really wants rikarrd now do they. Credentials wise I wouldnt say he is anywhere near comparable to mouriniho yet.

Mentally beaten? Fuck me! How can a team be mentally beaten when they need to score one goal, at home, against a team with 10 men with a makeshift back line, to reach the final of a competition in which they're the reigning champions? If Barca were mentally beaten then serious questions need to be asked of Guardiola's motivational abilities as well as his tactical nous.

Sanchez is not an out and out centre forward.

I know, I was talking about his ability to succeed in the Premier League.

OK, we'll ignore context to arrive at silly conclusions. Pointless.

Villa isn't an out and out centre forward.

Surely, it's impossible to judge how his ability to succeed in this country.

Can this help put an end to the group rimjob that is being given to Guardiola here:

Oh goodness, top class manager in wanting to improve shocker.

Salgado spoke brilliantly about the situation at Barca, they've become obsessed with possession of the ball. Why? Fatigue, physically and mentally it's very difficult to maintain the kind of level they've shown these past few years.

People have been waiting a long time to criticise this team and now here's their chance.

Oh goodness, top class manager in wanting to improve shocker.

Salgado spoke brilliantly about the situation at Barca, they've become obsessed with possession of the ball. Why? Fatigue, physically and mentally it's very difficult to maintain the kind of level they've shown these past few years.

People have been waiting a long time to criticise this team and now here's their chance.

Sacchi's Milan had the same problem.

OK, we'll ignore context to arrive at silly conclusions. Pointless.

No idea what you mean by this. Assuming you're matching your paragraphs to mine and are referring to what I said about being mentally beaten, can you explain what context I've ignored?

Villa isn't an out and out centre forward.

Villa has all the qualities required of a modern centre forward. The fact that he also excels as a wideman in a front three doesn't alter that. Sanchez is primarily a winger.

Surely, it's impossible to judge how his ability to succeed in this country.

I never said he couldn't do it, I said there's no evidence to suggest he can. My post that started this particular exchange was actually in response to someone asking me whether I'd want Guardiola to manage us. If we're going to replace Kenny I'd want a manager who's shown enough tactically to demonstrate that they could do well in this country, and Guardiola hasn't. Maybe this change of approach he's talking about will address that, let's see.

I know that wasn't in response to one of my posts, but for the record I'm not one of these people you refer to. I love watching this Barcelona team and have never wanted them to fail. My comments are born out of frustration that a team with such quality and resources is seemingly incapable of finding a different way to play when the one they're using clearly isn't working.

No idea what you mean by this. Assuming you're matching your paragraphs to mine and are referring to what I said about being mentally beaten, can you explain what context I've ignored?

Villa has all the qualities required of a modern centre forward. The fact that he also excels as a wideman in a front three doesn't alter that. Sanchez is primarily a winger.

I never said he couldn't do it, I said there's no evidence to suggest he can. My post that started this particular exchange was actually in response to someone asking me whether I'd want Guardiola to manage us. If we're going to replace Kenny I'd want a manager who's shown enough tactically to demonstrate that they could do well in this country, and Guardiola hasn't. Maybe this change of approach he's talking about will address that, let's see.

I know that wasn't in response to one of my posts, but for the record I'm not one of these people you refer to. I love watching this Barcelona team and have never wanted them to fail. My comments are born out of frustration that a team with such quality and resources is seemingly incapable of finding a different way to play when the one they're using clearly isn't working.

Context as in the key moments in the game and the effects they had. Messi has never scored against Chelsea, on another day he would have had a hat trick, maybe there is a hoodoo for him playing that team, something that isn't tangible for us to analyse. Messi is the best, most devastating player in the world, as a coach you do everything to maximise his game not hinder it, you find players like Villa and Sanchez who can play in the channels but also score goals.

You say Guardiola hasn't done enough tactically in his time as a coach and i'd say you haven't watched much of Barcelona in the last 4 years. He earned his chance with the work he did at Barcelona B, he came in to the job of coaching the first team when the club was at a crossroads, he wasn't the ideal candidate but since has gone on to win every trophy possible. He's done this, not only because he's had the best players at his disposal, but more importantly he's done it because he provided a platform for the likes of Messi with his tactics and his philosophy, introducing young players who have become key players, high energy pressing, quick passing, constant movement with the kind of freedom and fluidity that has been unplayable. They've won everything playing some of the best football this game has seen and that they've managed to maintain such a level for so long is testament to Guardiola's tactics and beliefs as a coach.

2 weeks ago people were saying Barca have hit their peak just at the right time of the season, they're going to win it all again. 2 defeats later and their season is pretty much over. How can you ditch a style of play that has served you so well for so long midway through a game and expect the players to immediately respond? It's not realistic is it? You cannot have a Lineker type goal poacher on the bench ready to slot in seamlessly just in case Messi n co are not firing on a certain day. It's not realistic, it's not a computer game where you can switch style of play modes midway through a game or a season.

Sometimes it's better not to try and analyse, just sit back, admire and enjoy.

Not many people were.

Before the defeat to Madrid they'd won 11 on the bounce in the league, in the build up to that game the momentum certainly was with Barca. Had they won they would have been a point behind Madrid with 4 games to go and with a better head to head.

Before the defeat to Madrid they'd won 11 on the bounce in the league, in the build up to that game the momentum certainly was with Barca. Had they won they would have been a point behind Madrid with 4 games to go and with a better head to head.

Nah, it wasn't fooling many. Some scrappy wins there, bit of luck, some easy games in La Liga.

This Barca team hasn't been right for the last 4 or 5 months. There was a CL game where it all seemed to be a bit muddled, and ever since then they've not looked the same force they did 12 months ago IMHO.

133 goals from Messi this season has papered over a couple of cracks, so when he doesn't score there is always currently a chance they can be turned over.

Thankfully, for them, it's not often he doesn't score.

If I was Pep, and I was staying next season (which isnt a given, he may take a years break from the game according to some), then I'd give all the big players a holiday starting yesterday.

Messi, Xavi, Pique, Alves, Busquets, Mascherano, Puyol, Valdes. They all need to go away and get as much rest as they can. They all look a bit frazzled from constantly playing at such a high level, in so many games, for both club and country.

I expect the problem will be keeping someone like Messi away from a ball for 4 months.

barcastuff ‏ @barcastuff

Several media and journalists claim that Guardiola has decided not to renew his contract, ahead of a meeting with president Rosell today.

barcastuff ‏ @barcastuff

Entourage of Guardiola as well as the club don't make any comment on decision to renew or not. Players will be first informed tomorrow [ona]

barcastuff barcastuff ‏ @barcastuff

Guardiola met yesterday for 3 hours with president at his home. He's more likely not to renew, announcement of final decision tomorrow [ona]

Guillem Balague ‏ @GuillemBalague

If Guardiola leaves, he will start a sabbatical

barcastuff ‏ @barcastuff

Several media and journalists claim that Guardiola has decided not to renew his contract, ahead of a meeting with president Rosell today.

barcastuff ‏ @barcastuff

Entourage of Guardiola as well as the club don't make any comment on decision to renew or not. Players will be first informed tomorrow [ona]

barcastuff barcastuff ‏ @barcastuff

Guardiola met yesterday for 3 hours with president at his home. He's more likely not to renew, announcement of final decision tomorrow [ona]

Guillem Balague ‏ @GuillemBalague

If Guardiola leaves, he will start a sabbatical

Until he cuts it very short for a £4 million a year contract somewhere.

Defo. A CL semi final loss makes his record look so shit.

I, for one, am not criticizing the team which is brilliant, thats the point. The team is brilliant - whether Pep is brilliant is yet to be found out. This also applies to our side btw - it is down to the quality on the field, not on the bench.

Is DiMatteo going to be a great manager winning the league and CLs for the next twenty years, or is it a bounce similar to what Dalglish was able to do with the same group at the end of last season, time will tell.

As for his record, very good. I will lay you a fiver that Barca wins silver again before Guardiola does in his next job.

He'll stay

He's playing poker with the president to get more money for players

why do people not see this?

He's football through and through, if he wanted a break he'd of took it when he retired before coming back in to the game but he didnt he went straight in to coaching

Plus, Ballague knows fuck all