You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Then you have taken an extremely simplistic view of it. If the management have done the same, we're among the top five candidates for relegation next season.

Relegation doesn't seem to have done Newcastle any harm at all. Mind you, they have a stadium that seats over 52,000. I'd say they filled most of those seats last season.

Our club, may well have to walk a similar path to Newcastle (with or without Kenny), but personally, I don't think so. There's hard decisions to make yes, like are we prepared to replace Carroll in the short term, either with an extra acquisition or two, or getting rid of? Is Kenny the man to get the job done? The owners will decide, for sure, but I still say we aren't as broke as some are making out.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Relegation doesn't seem to have done Newcastle any harm at all

I'm not sure we should make it our priority, to be honest.

I agree with you about the abuse some of the players get, particularly the likes of Henderson who is still a young lad learning is fucking disgusting but the whole "battered them and got unlucky" stance just doesn't wash anymore as its happened all bloody season, its no-ones fault but our own that we haven't got the results and it isn't good enough by a long way, for fucks sake we're down in midtable when a team as shite as Arsenal are in 3rd!

Now I didn't see your tongue planted firmly in your cheek, so I'll just come out with more sobering facts. Arsenal have Robin van Persie who has been named as the Professional Footballers' Association's Player of the Year. Oh yeah...he's scored 34 goals in all competitions. I have this funny feeling that if he'd been in a red shirt at Anfield yesterday, he too, would have been served up enough chances by our British midfield, to secure the match ball.

Pay no attention to what he says to the press. What he says to the press and what he thinks/says behind closed doors will be two very different things.

I accept that what a manager says in a press conference may vary from what is said to the players.

In this instance, I don't think that this is the case. Kenny thinks the pattern of pay is fine and its about bad luck, as a result the pattern of play continues - with the same proportion of bad luck.

Fans who watch the games every/most weeks in the flesh, and the millions who follow them on TV are owed an honest appraisal of the game. If he is saying something different to the players than he says in the press it is having no affect on the players and making him look foolish, a bad combination.

Now I didn't see your tongue planted firmly in your cheek, so I'll just come out with more sobering facts. Arsenal have Robin van Persie who has been named as the Professional Footballers' Association's Player of the Year. Oh yeah...he's scored 34 goals in all competitions. I have this funny feeling that if he'd been in a red shirt at Anfield yesterday, he too, would have been served up enough chances by our British midfield, to secure the match ball.

which just empthasises exactly how shit this league is this year when one player can get a load of crap into third

Each league place is worth £750,000, getting 5th rather than 8th is worth more to the Club than winning the FA Cup.

What is £750k worth to us these days? That was a transfer fee 30 years ago ffs!!

The main problem we have, are the players are shite. Several of them have been shite for the past 3 years. Despite that, Kenny has dragged them to two cup finals, got us back into Europe, and won our first trophy in 6 years, with another (possibly) less than 2 weeks away.

He's doing the best he can, but it's like trying to drive a car with a flat wheel.

Are the Yanks prepared to bankroll another striker or are they going to insist on selling to buy or put faith in Kenny again?

I dont think we are as bad as people are saying we are but we are in need of goalscorers both up front and in midfield too.

I cant believe the criticism of Suarez,he is a shining light among the darkness of some of our dismal performances this season.

He hasnt scored as many as he should have but its easy to get frustrated when you do everything by providing the chance for 30 tap ins and the 'striker' is 30 yards behind you!

Why are Arsenal deemed to be crap? People were laughing at them at the start of the season but it is them that look foolish now. Van Persie may have carried them in many games with his goals but the rest have also contributed a lot. Their keeper has been much improved and they have done well considering their defence has had to deal with a lot of injuries throughout. People like Walcott and Rosicky have played well and would walk into our team as Kuyt/Henderson and Downing have offered fuck all for us. As Lucas and Gerrard have been injured for most of this season any of their central midfielders would stroll into our team.

Arsenal have done what good teams do and that is win games, we are the ones that are shite. People need to take their heads out of the sand and look closer to home. Stop defending our team and just admit what they are. The majority of them are over paid limited players that are not good enough. Couple that with a manger that does not seem to get the best out of what little talent they possess and we are what we are.

People laugh at Everton for being bitter etc but I am tired of hearing the same old we were unlucky, their keeper had the game of his life and the ref had a shocker. Our team and manger are the problem and we the majority of our fans are deluded and bitter. Sad times are upon us and changes need to be made.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I don't even think United are a very good side at the moment, let alone Arsenal. People get blinded by comparison and league position, but ask any United fan how this team compares with others they've had over the years.

The club is coming out of massive debt, trying to make ends meet on relatively mediocre attendances (Anfield is a medium sized stadium). We can't spend shit loads (the net spend on players in Jan and in the summer was about 30 million or so) Serious business people know that you don't dig your way out of crap overnight.

Today's defeat wasn't about us 'being easily defended against' - we had 28 targeted shots. We battered them with a well prepared team. We failed to get the ball across the line with ANY targeted shot. End of.

It will take painstaking work by everybody at the club to drag us up to the top clubs who deal in big gate receipts.

That's the end of my post cos I've got to go-but its the beginning of the real debate.

Cheers. I am very aware what out situation was but the fact is we did spent shitloads, predominantly paying top prices for extremely average players. Whether we can afford that is another debate all together. We certainly can not afford to make the mistakes that those clubs with higher revenue streams can, and recent transfer dealings have been abysmal.

Regarding goals, we failed to get the ball over the line as the players are wasteful. It is not luck, it has been going on all season. One of the reasons is by the time we have got the ball into the box the build up play has been so slow that opponents have got players back in numbers to tackle and block. That makes us easy to defend against and results in a lack of goals IMO.

I don't even think United are a very good side at the moment, let alone Arsenal. People get blinded by comparison and league position, but ask any United fan how this team compares with others they've had over the years.

Agreed. I wouldn't say they're a poor side, because they have lots of good players, but there's more holes in the squad than I've seen for a while, and they lack the consistency of the great United sides.

Certainly, a vintage United or Mourinho-era Chelsea would have pissed the league by now.

RVP is not Arsena's only good player. Song and Walcott are a hundred million miles better than anything we can offer. Vermaelen, Koscielney, Sagna, Arteta are all very good.

hmmm Gerrard and Suarez or Song and Walcott?!

Lucas is better than Song and Walcott is utter shite but would unfortunately still get in our team, the others you mentioned are decent players to be fair but they have still been majorly carried by Van Persie and would be in a similar position to us without him, its the worst Arsenal side in a long time

I am very aware what out situation was but the fact is we did spent shitloads, predominantly paying top prices for extremely average players. Whether we can afford that is another debate all together. We certainly can not afford to make the mistakes that those clubs with higher revenue streams can, and recent transfer dealings have been abysmal.

Regarding goals, we failed to get the ball over the line as the players are wasteful. It is not luck, it has been going on all season. One of the reasons is by the time we have got the ball into the box the build up play has been so slow that opponents have got players back in numbers to tackle and block. That makes us easy to defend against and results in a lack of goals IMO.

A fair summary.

We do not know what FSG are prepare to invest on, and off the pitch.

Arsenals finances will continue to improve as their stadoum debt is paid down, Man U's finances are likely to improve still further with a Far east Float to reduce their debt, and Mansour and Abrahamavic will continue to find spare change at the back of the sofa. We need to make strides just to stand still.

I also fear for us in the EL, not only were we well beaten, but Man City and utd were dumped out.

A clever coherent strategy by football savvy men is required - Kenny cannot do this on his own. There is a real risk that he wil end up isolated as Benitez was.

hmmm Gerrard and Suarez or Song and Walcott?!

Lucas is better than Song and Walcott is utter shite but would unfortunately still get in our team, the others you mentioned are decent players to be fair but they have still been majorly carried by Van Persie and would be in a similar position to us without him, its the worst Arsenal side in a long time

Arsenal are 19 points ahead of us. I agree that this is the worst Arsenal side in years, I also agree that man for man we are not significantly worse than them, which is a pretty savage indictment of our coaching staff.

Most of Rafas teams would have snotted the league this season.

The standard is dreadful

Which leaves us.....oh dear...

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Does anyone remember when we were top of the league a few years ago and people were complaining about Rafa?

Yep. It was utterly ludicrous. Some people just hated Rafa.