Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Manchester Evening News reports he was present for their training before the game this week. You just know that poisoned little dwarf didn't drill his team for this, the shit head. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, φαίνω said:

Manchester Evening News reports he was present for their training before the game this week. You just know that poisoned little dwarf didn't drill his team for this, the shit head. 

 

 

 

24A371B2-21CD-40C2-909C-00F756CEDBC6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, φαίνω said:

Manchester Evening News reports he was present for their training before the game this week. You just know that poisoned little dwarf didn't drill his team for this, the shit head.

 

 

When you say 'their', you mean Martin Atkinson and co, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the documentary made about him earlier, much to my dismay, but the mother in law wouldn't let it lie so on it went.

 

Despite what you think of him he was a real force of nature and a really interesting psychological study if you can put aside the rivalry and him being a world class cunt, obviously.

 

This is after Aberdeen had just WON the Scotish cup, a time in Scottish football never surpassed...

 

 

 

Never the man Bob was and never will be, but fucking hell he was a winner, the absolute cunt.

 

Destroyed my early football years.

 

A lot of it is fluff, but the first hour in Scotland is well worth a watch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Watched the documentary made about him earlier, much to my dismay, but the mother in law wouldn't let it lie so on it went.

 

Despite what you think of him he was a real force of nature and a really interesting psychological study if you can put aside the rivalry and him being a world class cunt, obviously.

 

This is after Aberdeen had just WON the Scotish cup, a time in Scottish football never surpassed...

 

 

 

Never the man Bob was and never will be, but fucking hell he was a winner, the absolute cunt.

 

Destroyed my early football years.

 

A lot of it is fluff, but the first hour in Scotland is well worth a watch.

 

Read a few of his books and seen a few documentaries on him (always good to know the enemy) and he really was a superb football manager. Dark art, scheming bastard but he was successful with it. Ruined my early football years as well but I'm not too fickle to admit he is one of the greats of football management. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

He won 13 titles…..13


One of the weirdest bits is they omit that Cantona came from Leeds and make it look like he took a punt on a rebel from France.

 

Theres a lot of fluff stuff, just turn of before ‘That balmy night in Barcelona’ and it’s a decent character study.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

He won 13 titles…..13

Averaging one every second year he was manager there. Mad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was an excellent manager of course, but also possibly one of the luckiest in history. I'm struggling to think of another club in history that was able to field so many players they'd got for free from their youth system, it was fucking ridiculous how many international-quality players they had come through at the same time. Scholes, Beckham, Butt, the Nevilles, Giggs a few years before that. Even Pep's Barca side never had that many through at once, although obviously theirs were head and shoulders above Ferguson's.

 

Combine that with the club being the best in the country off the pitch at the time, perfectly positioned to take advantage of the new Premier League and Champions League revenue opportunities, and he had enough of a budget that he could basically sign whoever he liked. No club in England could compete if they wanted a player back then, ourselves included. Literally the only player who could have improved them who turned them down was Shearer, and thank fuck he did.

 

I know he made some brilliant signings and his motivational skills were obviously incredible but it's a lot easier to win titles when you've already been given half a class team for free and you're managing the richest club in the country by absolute fucking light years. Just ask Bayern.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

He was an excellent manager of course, but also possibly one of the luckiest in history. I'm struggling to think of another club in history that was able to field so many players they'd got for free from their youth system, it was fucking ridiculous how many international-quality players they had come through at the same time. Scholes, Beckham, Butt, the Nevilles, Giggs a few years before that. Even Pep's Barca side never had that many through at once, although obviously theirs were head and shoulders above Ferguson's.

 

Combine that with the club being the best in the country off the pitch at the time, perfectly positioned to take advantage of the new Premier League and Champions League revenue opportunities, and he had enough of a budget that he could basically sign whoever he liked. No club in England could compete if they wanted a player back then, ourselves included. Literally the only player who could have improved them who turned them down was Shearer, and thank fuck he did.

 

I know he made some brilliant signings and his motivational skills were obviously incredible but it's a lot easier to win titles when you've already been given half a class team for free and you're managing the richest club in the country by absolute fucking light years. Just ask Bayern.

His record in Europe is what let him down from being up there with the best. He also won the league when few could compete and where refs were shit scared of him and the power United held during that time. An excellent manager but below the very elite for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

His record in Europe is what let him down from being up there with the best. He also won the league when few could compete and where refs were shit scared of him and the power United held during that time. An excellent manager but below the very elite for me.

I hate to say it mate but as much as I dislike Slur to say he wasn't one of the very best doesn't fly. Grit your teeth and give him his due.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

His record in Europe is what let him down from being up there with the best. He also won the league when few could compete and where refs were shit scared of him and the power United held during that time. An excellent manager but below the very elite for me.

The only thing that let him down is that he is a cunt.

 

He belongs with the very best in terms of success but he never had the grace or dignity the likes of Busby, Stein or Shankly had.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, magicrat said:

I hate to say it mate but as much as I dislike Slur to say he wasn't one of the very best doesn't fly. Grit your teeth and give him his due.

Is right.

 

Yes he was a horrible bastard.

 

Yes his teams were full of horrible referee surrounding gobshites.

 

Yes he was a graceless twat.

 

Yes he was a bully.

 

Yes he hated us as much as we hated him and his club.

 

But he was one of the very best, his record speaks for itself even before he arrived at the toilet he was leading Aberdeen to success they had never seen before.

 

Horrible, horrible twat - but a truly great manager.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, magicrat said:

I hate to say it mate but as much as I dislike Slur to say he wasn't one of the very best doesn't fly. Grit your teeth and give him his due.

Nah. Never has a club in history had so much in their favour on and off the field. Very very good but not the very top.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Nah. Never has a club in history had so much in their favour on and off the field. Very very good but not the very top.

It's no coincidence that he won fuck all for 7 years, but once the Premier League arrived (which gave more power to the richest clubs) and he had a freakish number of top quality academy players coming through at the same time (meaning he could spend big elsewhere in the squad) he won loads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

His record in Europe is what let him down from being up there with the best. He also won the league when few could compete and where refs were shit scared of him and the power United held during that time. An excellent manager but below the very elite for me.

So Ferguson wasn’t up there with the best? Give your head an almighty wobble, he’s won more trophies than any manager in the history of football but he’s not up there with the best??? Jesus I despair at times I really do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's no coincidence that he won fuck all for 7 years, but once the Premier League arrived (which gave more power to the richest clubs) and he had a freakish number of top quality academy players coming through at the same time (meaning he could spend big elsewhere in the squad) he won loads.

He’d already started winning stuff at Manchester United pre-Premier League, though. FA Cup in 1989/90. Cup Winners’ Cup in 1990-91. League Cup in 1991-92, and came close to ending their quarter of a century league title drought that season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very good manager no doubt. His European efforts leave it a

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

So Ferguson wasn’t up there with the best? Give your head an almighty wobble, he’s won more trophies than any manager in the history of football but he’s not up there with the best??? Jesus I despair at times I really do.

 

Calm down captain. Vlad is right about the European failures. This is what separates the very good from the great. Out thought and bamboozled by his euro counterparts season after season. A very good manager no doubt. He doesn’t get a chair with the very best. It would be disrespectful to think that brother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, corro said:

A very good manager no doubt. His European efforts leave it a

Calm down captain. Vlad is right about the European failures. This is what separates the very good from the great. Out thought and bamboozled by his euro counterparts season after season. A very good manager no doubt. He doesn’t get a chair with the very best. It would be disrespectful to think that brother.

He won 8 European/world trophies and was a beaten finalist in 2 CL finals, Vlad is not right at all, this is genuinely an embarrassing argument, just stop it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s some Everton levels of whinging and revisionism here.

 

“They were jammy having loads of players come through, but they weren’t as good as other players elsewhere”

 

”They had it all going for them on and off the pitch”

 

They created their own luck - isn’t bringing academy players through the pinnacle of generating success? They also built on this success and self-generated everything they earned, not like Chelsea and city. They were the top dogs and it was down to Ferguson. How many times he reinvented that team was ridiculous, and had them competing with the charity cases for years after they inherited their money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

He won 8 European/world trophies and was a beaten finalist in 2 CL finals, Vlad is not right at all, this is genuinely an embarrassing argument, just stop it.

Yep. Would probably have had 4 European cups only for Barca and especially Messi, thank fuck..

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horrible bastard and questionable European record aside, he was am absolutely brilliant manager, one of the best ever and arguably the best.

 

Look at the squad he won the title with in his last season. The level of competition was not as fierce as it has been in the last few seasons but I doubt that 2012/13 squad would even get in the top 6 nowadays. It was littered with jabronis and they still won the league comfortably.

 

Along with his Aberdeen league win, it might be his greatest achievement 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Belarus said:

There’s some Everton levels of whinging and revisionism here.

 

“They were jammy having loads of players come through, but they weren’t as good as other players elsewhere”

 

”They had it all going for them on and off the pitch”

 

They created their own luck - isn’t bringing academy players through the pinnacle of generating success? They also built on this success and self-generated everything they earned, not like Chelsea and city. They were the top dogs and it was down to Ferguson. How many times he reinvented that team was ridiculous, and had them competing with the charity cases for years after they inherited their money.

How is it whinging or revisionism to suggest that their "class of '92" was an extraordinary group of players?  Or that the comparative spending power of clubs became a more important factor during the early years of the Premier League. (I mean... Blackburn fucking Rovers?)

 

In the early 90s, it's undeniably true that some things fell into place for them; it's also undeniably true that it takes a very, very good manager to make the most of those circumstances and to build something to endure beyond that first flush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×