You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

School holidays could be shortened

PestiRed

Comparing teachers and soldiers is completely relevant..its not relevant at all that one is educated to a higher level than the other, the point you either chose to miss or deliberatley missed, is that they both CHOSE THAT JOB.

If you wife was a solicitor she cant be as stupid as you make her out, wanting a 'worthwhile' career.. give me a fucking break, like working for the CPS wouldnt have be worth while?? But there again Solicitors dont get the same hols as teachers do they???

I wouldnt tell your wife that chosing to become a teacher and chosing to take a job in a school where all the kids are criminals in the making, isnt stressful - but what I would tell her is that she CHOSE that... do you see where I am going with this???

If your poor wife is being traumatised by kids blinding her teaching assistances and pissing and shitting themselves then perhaps, just perhaps she should apply for another teaching position in a better area!!!

Worthwhile, as in making a difference to deprived children, teaching them to read,write and count ? Fucking hell, I would argue that there are very few jobs more worthy !

Kind of defeats the point if she goes to teach at a posher/ private school does it not ? Otherwise she'd have stayed in the legal profession.

I thought she had it pretty much nailed.

I wouldn't go into teaching, far more hassle then it's worth. The argument Aveez makes is justifiable, soldiers go into the services with their eyes wide open, there is a chance they'll go to war and die. Society the way it is, teachers surely know whats coming once they've done a placement or two. Academic attainment has nothing to do with someones profession being more worthwhile.

The rest of your post is aimed at the dregs of society for poor parenting, nothing to do with changing holidays?

My point was that a lot people, especially ones that i know of (family included) go into the armed forces because they have a lack of other options available.

Also they know there's a good chance they'll get injured in service, teachers on the other hand ?

Yes it is relevant, because thanks to those dregs a once respected profession is now being ridiculed for wanting to retain one of the only perks of the job, it ain't the pay thats for certain.

We can all remember our favourite/ best teacher from our childhoods. Without going all 'Dangerous Minds' a good teacher at that age can help turn a potential scumbag into a more productive (and tax paying!) member of society.

Isn't the point that their holidays are potentially being altered quite significantly?

If this is the case then it's got fuck all to do with having their eyes open or knowing what they chose, rather than one of the attractions of the job (long holidays) being taken away? As people on here have alluded to it's a pretty difficult and thankless task at times, so to many the holidays are their trade off (so to speak).

Exactly, now civil servants on the other hand.....:whistle:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fucking love my job. All the aforementioned holidays, plus only 5 hr days when you've factored in dinner and playtime. I'm on my Playstation by quarter to 4, thinking about where I'll jet off to on my next jaunt.

If the holidays are to be shortened, the teachers can counteract this by having more 'teacher training days'. These training days started to come in when i was in my final years and i often wondered are they not trained enough already to teach?

My missus had to go on one the other week to teach her how to safely restrain a child who was attacking other people without harming the child.

People are quick to forget all the bullshit paperwork and directives that they have to comply with nowadays.

Actually I prefer my wind ups to be original and not be a tireless bore like everyone else. I would probably go for accusations of blanket copy & paste marking, with comments that are deliberately vague to save time so that they can watch Countdown by 4pm (or whatever is on at 4pm).

My brothers report once had the name of another kid in the bit where the teacher comments on how your doing.

It was a blatant copy and paste job, lazy fuckers.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

just don't know why teacher training days can't be incorporated into the normal holidays. Or will this disrupt the 4 week cruise they can book in the summer, besides teachers have got it fucking easy these days especially with the choice of a cheap new build house that puts them first on the list. Let's face it, when i had homework to complete during the holidays i done the lot in a mad rush at the very last minute. I can't see why this attitude would change in adult years and i would stake my life on it that teachers do fuck all for 4 weeks in the summer and then quickly mark whatever the fuck they feel is appropriate in the final 2 weeks of summer.

Only job in the world where your employer provides you with a room where you can go during the working day to back-stab your colleagues, slander your boss, moan about your job and pay, criticise those your providing a service to, undermine your employer and stir the shit generally.

My point was that a lot people, especially ones that i know of (family included) go into the armed forces because they have a lack of other options available.

Also they know there's a good chance they'll get injured in service, teachers on the other hand ?

Yes it is relevant, because thanks to those dregs a once respected profession is now being ridiculed for wanting to retain one of the only perks of the job, it ain't the pay thats for certain.

We can all remember our favourite/ best teacher from our childhoods. Without going all 'Dangerous Minds' a good teacher at that age can help turn a potential scumbag into a more productive (and tax paying!) member of society.

Exactly, now civil servants on the other hand.....:whistle:

Anyone that has gone into teaching in the last ten years should know what to expect. Especially if they're going into a deprived area.

Perks of the job, they're on about moving 2 weeks holiday (not losing them) to other times of the year, it's hardly a matter of someone losing their job as a result.

Like i said, i respect their right to protest and strike. I just think over this they're being anal. They're not losing any days, they're retaining the same number of holidays, the holidays are just being shifted and added on to other holidays already in place during the year.

You've no need to preach to me in regard to teachers making a difference, most have already formed an opinion of a child within the first day. You're looking through some very tinted spectacles there.

Guest The Chimp
What not like a couple of weeks on a beach like the rest of us. I don't get this argument for teaching being a special case. Tell that to Coppers, Nurses Doctors, Prison Ofiicers, Social Workers, etc etc.

That's an entirely different point to the one that was raised - they know what they're getting in to. As for being special cases . . . I've got no kids nor do I live in Blighty so I couldn't really give a fuck, but given how boring most cunts are about how special their kids are and how precious they are it's staggering to see how little respect is given to those who play such a pivotal role in said little treasures lives. It's not the parents who get kids passing exams generally is it? It's not them who get them decent A Levels so they can go on to university and hopefully get a decent job - no that'd be those lazy bastard teachers. As I said nothing that affects me, but when teaching standards slip further due to less people going into teaching it will be those who have kids who'll suffer most, and as such I'd have thought anything that encouraged good people to be retained or to go into the profession would seem like a good idea. There are obviously shit teachers but then read this thread, look at what the general opinion of them and their profession is and then ask yourself is it any wonder so many potentially good teachers swerve it.

Edited by The Chimp
shit tablet

Anyone that has gone into teaching in the last ten years should know what to expect. Especially if they're going into a deprived area.

Perks of the job, they're on about moving 2 weeks holiday (not losing them) to other times of the year, it's hardly a matter of someone losing their job as a result.

Like i said, i respect their right to protest and strike. I just think over this they're being anal. They're not losing any days, they're retaining the same number of holidays, the holidays are just being shifted and added on to other holidays already in place during the year.

You've no need to preach to me in regard to teachers making a difference, most have already formed an opinion of a child within the first day. You're looking through some very tinted spectacles there.

Where does it stop though ? I know they won't be losing holidays, but that will be next if they don't kick up a stink.

Out of all the holidays they get, my wife spends a larger proportion of the summer holidays than any other working, be that preparing the class room, lesson plans or 'new learning objectives'. She is on 'proper holiday' for maybe 2-3 weeks. I'm not saying she is the norm (she is ofsted rated outstanding), but the half terms are more a 'holiday' than the summer one.

I would personally like it if they changed the holidays as we may be able to get a reasonabley priced holiday abroad instead of the usual scandelous scenario.

Your final point is speculative and innaccurate if anything the opposite of what happens, the more the teacher knows the kid, the more likely they are to be willing to help / teach (proper scumbags aside).

That's an entirely different point to the one that was raised - they know what they're getting in to. As for being special cases . . . I've got no kids nor do I live in Blighty so I couldn't really give a fuck, but given how boring most cunts are about how special their kids are and how precious they are it's staggering to see how little respect is given to those who play such a pivotal role in said little treasures lives. It's not the parents who get kids passing exams generally is it? It's not them who get them decent A Levels so they can go on to university and hopefully get a decent job - no that'd be those lazy bastard teachers. As I said nothing that affects me, but when teaching standards slip further due to less people going into teaching it will be those who have kids who'll suffer most, and as such I'd have thought anything that encouraged good people to be retained or to go into the profession would seem like a good idea. There are obviously shit teachers but then read this thread, look at what the general opinion of them and their profession is and then ask yourself is it any wonder so many potentially good teachers swerve it.

Spot on.

Did you ever think you'd live in a country where people would wear misery like a badge of honour? "I don't get time off to enjoy a summer's day with my kids and I don't have a pension, therefore I am a hero."

Let's line up anyone who doesn't work 60-hour weeks for 14 grand a year and shoot them all in the back of the head.

Did you ever think you'd live in a country where people would wear misery like a badge of honour? "I don't get time off to enjoy a summer's day with my kids and I don't have a pension, therefore I am a hero."

It's a national past time ! Christ you ought to hear the miserable bastards I work with in the construction industry. Can someone tell me the difference between a personal day & holiday btw?

Let's line up anyone who doesn't work 60-hour weeks for 14 grand a year and shoot them all in the back of the head.

Would solve unemployment that!

Couldn't agree more.

This thread is like Loose women meets the Daily Mail. I'm particularly fond of all the anecdotal evidence people offer up. No one ever seems to know a teacher, or any public sector worker for that matter, who works hard. They just know the work shy, lazy ones.

For all the parents on here moaning - just another thought to add to this.

Four week summer holidays would mean the travel companies would increase the costs of a holiday in this period even more. And for those of you that take them on holiday during term time, the government are bringing in legislation that means schools will no longer have the ability to approve these holidays and you will be fined.

Piss of teachers by shortening summer holidays - Check

Raise debate which results in further devaluing of teaching as a profession in the publics perception - Check

Hit the public for extra taxes on overpriced holidays - Check

Hit the public with fines for taking kids on holiday when they can afford it - Check

Sounds like typical tory policy to me.

Couldn't agree more.

This thread is like Loose women meets the Daily Mail. I'm particularly fond of all the anecdotal evidence people offer up. No one ever seems to know a teacher, or any public sector worker for that matter, who works hard. They just know the work shy, lazy ones.

(Clears throat) !

(Clears throat) !

I'm not talking about the people who are teachers or live with them mate. They would obviously be biased in the matter anyway. If you start a thread on teachers or firemen or whatever, the same people are always on here going on about how they ' know ' them and they do fuck all. Every time.

For all the parents on here moaning - just another thought to add to this.

Four week summer holidays would mean the travel companies would increase the costs of a holiday in this period even more. And for those of you that take them on holiday during term time, the government are bringing in legislation that means schools will no longer have the ability to approve these holidays and you will be fined.

Piss of teachers by shortening summer holidays - Check

Raise debate which results in further devaluing of teaching as a profession in the publics perception - Check

Hit the public for extra taxes on overpriced holidays - Check

Hit the public with fines for taking kids on holiday when they can afford it - Check

Sounds like typical tory policy to me.

My kids teacher took the two weeks before easter off as unpaid leave as well as the easter fortnight. Reason being Australia is too to go for a fortnight. One of the other teacher husbands came in as a relief teacher he retired from the school last year. Kids love him he plays guitar and sings to them all day I am told.

In fairness our school is a very small close knit unit.

I'm not talking about the people who are teachers or live with them mate. They would obviously be biased in the matter anyway. If you start a thread on teachers or firemen or whatever, the same people are always on here going on about how they ' know ' them and they do fuck all. Every time.

Fair point.

My kids teacher took the two weeks before easter off as unpaid leave as well as the easter fortnight. Reason being Australia is too to go for a fortnight. One of the other teacher husbands came in as a relief teacher he retired from the school last year. Kids love him he plays guitar and sings to them all day I am told.

In fairness our school is a very small close knit unit.

And thats the way it should be, with the school and community working as one together.

It could be argued that the changes the tories are bringing in are actually seeking confrontation with teachers, and the propaganda being spouted in the press about teachers, are helping make schools a scapegoat for the state of society today, as well as opening up the door for the government to private education. They have already said they are happy for free schools to make a profit, lets see how society looks with privatised education system.

Guest ShoePiss

Some parents always seem to be angry at Teachers. I think their own parental misgivings being highlighted daily causes them great frustration and embarrassment.

And thats the way it should be, with the school and community working as one together.

It could be argued that the changes the tories are bringing in are actually seeking confrontation with teachers, and the propaganda being spouted in the press about teachers, are helping make schools a scapegoat for the state of society today, as well as opening up the door for the government to private education. They have already said they are happy for free schools to make a profit, lets see how society looks with privatised education system.

My mate's a teacher and is of the genuine opinion that the Tories want to show schools in as bad a light as possible so they could open them up to be 'rescued' by the private sector, he mentioned some changes to scoring and Ofsted etc which I didn't entirely follow.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

My old seconadary school is now sponsored by Honda.

Whatever happened to John Major preaching about family values, as always the tories are acting like cunts and i'd rather they concentrate more on encouraging these values instead of sending little shithouses from shit upbringings into the classroom in the first place.