You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Rolling Stones

Bjornebye

They are nowhere near The Beatles, for me. No band has ever been as diverse musically as The Beatles, or produced as much consistent quality in such a little space of time. The Stones have always been a "greatest hits" type of band for me.

Also, in "coolness" terms, The Beatles had George Garrison, the coolest man on the planet at the time. The Stones...erm....didnt.  

No way was Garrison the coolest in the Beatles. Fennon and McLartney can claim that honour.

Agree though. Harrison was a pretty cool customer and he also wrote While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

If you made me pick, I'd say Stones. As is still regularly listen to them. Everyone listens to Beatles when they are young. Then maybe has a second coming and gets into the anthologies and more psychedelic stuff but that's about it, I think? You can only listen to eight years of work for so long, not a bad eight years to be fair.

• Downvote 1

If you made me pick, I'd say Stones. As is still regularly listen to them. Everyone listens to Beatles when they are young. Then maybe has a second coming and gets into the anthologies and more psychedelic stuff but that's about it, I think? You can only listen to eight years of work for so long, not a bad eight years to be fair.

That's the understatement of the year that mate.

If you like reading auto - biographies and you haven't read Life by Keith Richards then you still haven't lived it.

As for the comment about which band you'd rather be in, Beatles or the Stones then for me it'd the Stones hands down. Looked much more fun. The Beatles were and are miles better musically without a doubt but the stones had an edge the Beatles couldn't dream of. I had an interview in the fab 4 cafe (not for a job there) on the pier head earlier and they must have just had the Beatles 1 album on. I felt sorry for the lads working in there.

To reiterate - I love the Beatles.

The Beatles got up to stuff in Hamburg that those lads from Dartford would have run a mile from.  

The Stones, and I'm an admirer, were only ever superficially edgy.  

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

I've never really understood the thing with comparing The Beatles & The Stones, they were both amazing over a certain period (The Stones slightly later than The Beatles), sounded nothing like each other & in a lot of ways, they set the standard for the bands that followed.

I reckon if The Stones had packed it in when Mick Taylor left, they would be held in higher esteem by people but I suppose that's open to conjecture.

Agreed, both were/are great in their own way. I don't see much resemblance in their music at all.

13th floor elevators, now there’s a band, Love as well. Beatles cane them all though I’m afraid, I know its boring but it doesn’t make it any less true

They are the most important band of all time. Changed everything. There are other bands that I enjoy listening to more though.

They are the most important band of all time. Changed everything. There are other bands that I enjoy listening to more though.

There’s just so much good music about I find it increasingly difficult to have a favourite if I’m honest, but as you say the Beatles are top of the pile and barring some unforeseen phenomena I dont really see that ever changing

There’s just so much good music about I find it increasingly difficult to have a favourite if I’m honest, but as you say the Beatles are top of the pile and barring some unforeseen phenomena I dont really see that ever changing

You don't have to have a favourite though. Loads of great music to love. We have what is being made now and everything that was made before so despite the fact that Radio 1 may well be playing shite we have more great music than anyone. And there's a new Oh Sees album out.
  • Upvote 1

You don't have to have a favourite though. Loads of great music to love. We have what is being made now and everything that was made before so despite the fact that Radio 1 may well be playing shite we have more great music than anyone. And there's a new Oh Sees album out.

I agree, it’s natural to have favourites though, I take it from your username that you are an Iggy Pop fan? well “The Idiot” for me is in my top 5 favourite ever albums, David Bowie and Iggy Pop is a duo of ridiculous musical excellence

• Upvote 1

I agree, it’s natural to have favourites though, I take it from your username that you are an Iggy Pop fan? well “The Idiot” for me is in my top 5 favourite ever albums, David Bowie and Iggy Pop is a duo of ridiculous musical excellence

Yeah, massive Stooges fan. Bowie was untouchable for a while. Made some timeless albums while off his fucking face and at the same time rescued Iggy and Lou.
  • Upvote 1

Nowt wrong with Beatles or Stones in their prime but if I'm fancying a bit of retro stuff it's far more likely to be Love, 13th Floor Elevators or a Pebbles/Nuggets compilation. Probably more likely to stick the Beach Boys or Byrds on to be honest.

I can't remember the last time I put The Stones on to be honest, just fancied giving that Sticky Fingers bonus disc a spin yesterday. The version of Brown Sugar with Clapton on lead is magic too.

https://youtu.be/GuVax7iMM6Y

A Frog goes into his Bank he goes to the counter and noticed the lady behind the counter is called Patty Whack .

The Frog says " Hello Miss Whack, I would like a £ 30,000 loan please ".

Patty says, " Could I have your name Sir? "

. " Yes " says the Frog, My name is Kermit Jagger, Mick Jagger is my Dad ".

Patty then said, " Mr Jagger, for a loan that size, we require some form of Collateral".

The Frog pulls a small pink porcelain elephant from his pocket. " Here, take this, I know the Manager", he says .

Patty says " I will talk to the Manager " and she goes to his Office .

" Sir " she says, " There is a Frog in the Bank who says he knows you and his Dad is Mick Jagger and wants a loan and brought this ( holding up the Elephant) for collateral , what is it ?

The Manager says...

" Its a Knick knack Patty Whack, give the Frog a Loan.

His old Man is a Rolling Stone !"

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Picked up the re-master of Beggars Banquet at the start of the week, it sounds fucking great.

I listening to this album to death when I was a kid so haven't ever got round to buying it on CD, glad I did. I always remember listening to it with my Dad & my brother & when Mick Jagger shouts 'Get down' in Street Fighting Man, all three of us started nodding along to the beat in unison, it's weird the wee things you remember like that.

• Upvote 1