You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need much, much more than Clint fucking Dempsey in order to make us a top four side.

Revised expectations, we aim first for the domestic cups. Anything else is a bonus.

He seems like the perfect signing for Liverpool 2012. A good fit for a mid table club whose ambitions are apparently more in tune with Birmingham City's (pre relegation) than Manchester United or Arsenal's.

I know that we look for players who are doing well and think perhaps they'll come to our team and play well too. But why aren't we out there looking for the next young star player, who doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Also, what sort of system are we playing and are the players we're looking at, work in that system?

Revised expectations, we aim first for the domestic cups. Anything else is a bonus.

He seems like the perfect signing for Liverpool 2012. A good fit for a mid table club whose ambitions are apparently more in tune with Birmingham City's (pre relegation) than Manchester United or Arsenal's.

Yep. A solid pro, who'd do a good job for most. Would any of the top 4/5 clubs look to sign him? I doubt it.

We need much, much more than Clint fucking Dempsey in order to make us a top four side.

I think that all depends on how he'd adapt for example if Downing and Carroll played like they did for Villa and Newcastle we'd certainly be a lot closer and if we signed Dempsey and he played like he is doing now he'd play a big part but as we've seen with the aforementioned it doesn't work like that

Guest Numero Veinticinco

:D

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think that all depends on how he'd adapt for example if Downing and Carroll played like they did for Villa and Newcastle we'd certainly be a lot closer and if we signed Dempsey and he played like he is doing now he'd play a big part but as we've seen with the aforementioned it doesn't work like that

Downing, Carroll, Dempsey, Adam. It's the stuff dreams are made of. I'm just waiting for somebody to say 'If he joins, he'll surprise a lot of people'.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If we get halfway through the season and he ends up being even better than Carra expected, we'll know we've got a gem on our hands.

Dempsey would probably get fucked off with running into the box, only to find he has to run back again because Downing elected to pass the ball back to midfield, or hit the foot of the right back.

One time Kenny signed a couple of players from Oxford United. And Watford. And they were fine.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
One time Kenny signed a couple of players from Oxford United. And Watford. And they were fine.

Well, it stands to reason that Clint Dempsey will be better than Aldo and Barnes, yeah? Yeah? YEAH? No, thought not.

Silly thing to say, Kevie babes.

With players like Dempsey,Ruiz,Podgrebnyak et al,if we wanted to buy them then we'd be quoted stupid money,even before they make a name for themselves at PL clubs.

I think this is a big reason FSG are looking at much younger players being brought into the club.

It also suggests they are planning on sticking round for a while yet,which is good news IMO.

He's 29 and playing for Fulham. He's been in the league for 5 years and only now, during a career-best run of good form, are people suggesting he's good enough to play for a top team.

His fee would reflect the fact that he's currently in the form of his life (as it did with Carroll and Downing) and so to justify the cost he'd have at least maintain his current level (which is better than he's ever previously shown), if not exceed it. To prove good value for money he'd basically have to come here and play better than he's ever done before, which, as we've seen with Adam, Carroll and Downing, can hardly be relied upon.

There's no value in signing players based on a run of good form and, going forward, I'd like to think we'd put more stock into a player's career as a whole, rather than just the most recent few months of it. I'd rather see us sign a player of established quality who is horribly out of form than spunk money on the latest flavour of the month, which is what we did in the previous 2 windows to disastrous results.

Clint Dempsey would make us a better team, sad as it is that's the truth. I don't know his contract situation but if it was running out he could represent very good value (£6-7m bracket). The fact he plays for Fulham shouldn't mean jack shit. The manc team that is about to win the league again has players bought from Villa, Wigan, Fulham, Blackburn, Everton, Spurs and Leeds, hardly heavy weights are they?

Clint Dempsey would make us a better team, sad as it is that's the truth. I don't know his contract situation but if it was running out he could represent very good value (£6-7m bracket). The fact he plays for Fulham shouldn't mean jack shit. The manc team that is about to win the league again has players bought from Villa, Wigan, Fulham, Blackburn, Everton, Spurs and Leeds, hardly heavy weights are they?

They're usually much younger than 29, and I don't thinkyou're doing your argument any favours comparing Wayne Rooney to clint Dempsey.

I do agree with your overall point, though. I don't give a merry fuck where players come from, or who they play for. Just how good they are.

They're usually much younger than 29, and I don't thinkyou're doing your argument any favours comparing Wayne Rooney to clint Dempsey.

I do agree with your overall point, though. I don't give a merry fuck where players come from, or who they play for. Just how good they are.

I wasn't comparing Dempsey with Rooney, I was comparing Fulham with Everton, point being if you sign a player from a small club it should make fuck all difference, its all down to ability and balls.

As for the age thing I don't think that comes into it either once the price is reasonable, Berbatov, Young and Van Dar Saar are 3 players I can think of that were bought to improve the team but at the same time had little or no sell on value, Dempsey would fit into that model.