You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I get fucked off with people looking down their noses at players who represent real proven value in this league. The same mentality that didn't want Parker at the club as he was too old, or jsut because he's a fucking cockney.

Well that worked out just fine didnt it..?:ermm:

We're sposed to be building a TEAM remember.

I'd say with about 4 or 5 exceptions, every club in the Prem is unearthing better talent than us right now.

We are asleep, and complacent, and Comoli (SP) should be shot out the fucking door. Pronto.

Yes even Everton, Fulham Sunderland Wigan Norwich Swansea and on it goes.

Maybe only a player here or a player there, but they are finding value. I wouldn't even say the big four signings even represent value.

Even fucking Wolves got a decent buy in Fletcher.

Yes folks, we're being out-scouted by championship teams.

If FSG s business model is to scout the cream of young talent they need to start again from scratch in my opinion. That criteria is NOT being met.

We just spunk it on known, overpriced, mediocrity, and expect a sudden uptick because they're in a red shirt. We've been doing it for years.

Its a bollox way to go about things.

The only good thing is i doubt we've got the money to toss away like that again.

So things will HAVE to change.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get fucked off with people looking down their noses at players who represent real proven value in this league. The same mentality that didn't want Parker at the club as he was too old, or jsut because he's a fucking cockney.

Well that worked out just fine didnt it..?:ermm:

We're sposed to be building a TEAM remember.

I'd say with about 4 or 5 exceptions, every club in the Prem is unearthing better talent than us right now.

We are asleep, and complacent, and Comoli (SP) should be shot out the fucking door. Pronto.

Yes even Everton, Fulham Sunderland Wigan Norwich Swansea and on it goes.

Maybe only a player here or a player there, but they are finding value. I wouldn't even say the big four signings even represent value.

Even fucking Wolves got a decent buy in Fletcher.

Yes folks, we're being out-scouted by championship teams.

If FSG s business model is to scout the cream of young talent they need to start again from scratch in my opinion. That criteria is NOT being met.

We just spunk it on known, overpriced, mediocrity, and expect a sudden uptick because they're in a red shirt. We've been doing it for years.

Its a bollox way to go about things.

The only good thing is i doubt we've got the money to toss away like that again.

So things will HAVE to change.

Is that an argument for or against signing Clint Dempsey?

The first paragraph would suggest "for" and the rest "against."

Is that an argument for or against signing Clint Dempsey?

Too much concern over resale value on here when the club needs stabilising and improving NOW.

So if Dempsey was the right price, why not? We signed a £600,00 rangers reject for £8 million from Blackpool on the back of a few free kicks in one season.

Dempsey has a proven record of goals and is a nasty piece of work when he wants to be. Something we lack.

Let the resale value come from the talent that we SHOULD be scouting/have scouted.

The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Well, it stands to reason that Clint Dempsey will be better than Aldo and Barnes, yeah? Yeah? YEAH? No, thought not.

Silly thing to say, Kevie babes.

Its as silly as dismissing anyone based on what club they come from.

There are plenty of players across the divisions, even from lower divisions that might be able to come in. Just because Henderson/Adam/Carroll/Downing flopped doesn't mean the policy is bad, its just that the scouting was abysmal.

Sunderland picked up James McClean for a song from the Irish league, he probably walk into our first team. There used to be a policy at this club where good players were picked up from middling to lower clubs and they'd go on to become great players once here.

Now all that said, I'm not sure I'd be that gone on Dempsey.

Guest ShoePiss
Revised expectations, we aim first for the domestic cups. Anything else is a bonus.

He seems like the perfect signing for Liverpool 2012. A good fit for a mid table club whose ambitions are apparently more in tune with Birmingham City's (pre relegation) than Manchester United or Arsenal's.

Don't you bore yourself with this repetition?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Its as silly as dismissing anyone based on what club they come from.

I'd say it's significantly sillier, to be honest; your point has no logic.

Just because Henderson/Adam/Carroll/Downing flopped doesn't mean the policy is bad

If the policy isn't 'buy good players, regardless of any other factor than ability', then it's a bad policy.

Guest TK-421

If the policy isn't 'buy good players, regardless of any other factor than ability', then it's a bad policy.

A bit simplistic - you could end up with a team full of Balotellis. Great players, but all nobheads.

All factors must be taken into account.

Guest TK-421
I suppose you could argue that Balotelli isn't a great player for that very reason. If he could go a month without tripping himself up, he could be.

And it would be a good argument.

The point I'm making is that disregarding all other factors aside from ability isn't a good policy either.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
A bit simplistic - you could end up with a team full of Balotellis. Great players, but all nobheads.

All factors must be taken into account.

Temperament, and thus the ability to stay on the field, is definitely part of my 'ability' criteria. You're right though, there are other things to consider but they're all secondary to ability to play football. Arbitrary things like nationality, skin colour, accent, etc., none of these things bother me.

Temperament, and thus the ability to stay on the field, is definitely part of my 'ability' criteria. You're right though, there are other things to consider but they're all secondary to ability to play football. Arbitrary things like nationality, skin colour, accent, etc., none of these things bother me.

Just to side-step a bit...Wonder how many red cards the balding, dark-skinned Wayno Roneyo from Italy would have gotten by now, especially playing for Man City instead of their neighbours.

Oh, and those suggesting he's only on a bit of a run of form, you have obviously not followed Fulham very closely. I don't really mean to say I do either, but he's been their best player for quite some time now. The reason he's been banging in even more goals than he normally does is because he's been given a position higher up the pitch (having more freedom personally), as well as Fulham playing more expansive football now than under Hodgson/Hughes (now there's a surprise:eek:).

I'm not claiming to be an expert on him (nor Fulham), but I've seen enough from him the last few seasons to suggest he would have been a very useful addition to our squad last summer, as will he be this summer. Versatile, goalscoring midfielders (he can do a job anywhere across the middle and even behind the striker) don't exactly grow on trees. So he's 29, big deal. He's professional (most US soccer players seem to keep going for a while - coincidence?), if he brings us 8-10 goals a season for 4 years, who cares what we sell him for?

For those who think I'm jumping on the bandwagon, I mentioned him in one of the threads where we were discussing players that could do a job for us (possibly pre Hodgson?) when we were a bit tight on the cash. Don't know how to find my post though:( Anyone?

• 1 year later...
He's been really shit since his move last summer. Does this mean the owners were right to pull the rug last summer? We might not have got both Coutinho and Sturridge if we lumbered with this guy.

do you really think the owners pulled the plug on the deal because of their doubts about the players ability?

we had to publicly apologise to Fulham for tapping up their player.

I think he would have been much better under Rodgers than he has been under AVB, i think the same about Sigurdsson aswell (its only a matter of time before they get rid of him too)

Our system gives these kinds of players a chance to flourish as we create space for them to work in.

Spurs could really implode under AVB next year (or maybe im just blindly hoping they do) BUT they got hammered last night by monaco, they are losing their best player and AVB has a history of fucking things up in the prem with high profile players (like he did with chelsea)

Could happen? Clutching at straws?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He's been really shit since his move last summer.

Not really. 12 goals and 6 assists from 32 starts isn't 'really shit'. I'm glad we didn't spend out huge amounts on him, which is apparently what Fulham wanted from us due to our pursuit of him.

I think he would have been much better under Rodgers than he has been under AVB, i think the same about Sigurdsson aswell (its only a matter of time before they get rid of him too)

Our system gives these kinds of players a chance to flourish as we create space for them to work in.

Spurs could really implode under AVB next year (or maybe im just blindly hoping they do) BUT they got hammered last night by monaco, they are losing their best player and AVB has a history of fucking things up in the prem with high profile players (like he did with chelsea)

Could happen? Clutching at straws?

us (keeping Suarez/replacing him well dependent), Spurs and Arsenal will be fighting it out for 4th, can see it being pretty tight and whoever comes out on top in the games against each other may get it

do you really think the owners pulled the plug on the deal because of their doubts about the players ability?

we had to publicly apologise to Fulham for tapping up their player.

Always thought it was over a few million more then we were prepared to pay.

Not really. 12 goals and 6 assists from 32 starts isn't 'really shit'. I'm glad we didn't spend out huge amounts on him, which is apparently what Fulham wanted from us due to our pursuit of him.

Yeah hyperbole from me, but compared to the two we got in January... It's just a pity we didn't gamble on Sturridge in the summer. How much more could have been learned in six months? The season might have panned out so differently.

Done now anyway and we've got the much better deals by waiting until January. Just a shame we basically wrote off a season doing so.

I do hope that lesson is learned, and there's no messing about late in this window. Wrap two signings up in the next two or three weeks, force Luis to stay and we're giving ourselves a realistic chance of top four for the first time since we finished second. Tired of the club shooting itself in the foot tbh. Some of the deals we've done the last four or five years, a two year old could have said was poor value, not a good player etc.