You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our coaching staff - how bad are they?

Nathanzx

can kenny coach the modern game? it seems not....does he just delegate to clarke?

Kenny's never pretended to coach. He's always delegated to his coaching staff. Nothing wrong with that - O'Neill and others do the same. He's the manager, Clarke and Keen do the coaching. This is what has exasperated me: when we were doing reasonably well, Clarke got loads of credit (which I didn't mind at all), but now he's hardly ever mentioned. He came with a fantastic reputation: he was supposed to be bright, innovative, disciplined and extremely good at working with the players and maintaining a good morale in training. So I don't see why his contribution has been ignored for so long. I was delighted when we got him but I just don't know what's gone wrong. His role is extremely important.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got a B License like Di Matteo but i wouldnt have a clue how to run a professional team.

Clarke and Keane have the relevant qualifications and all you need for a Pro License is to turn up at a venue and chat away for a while and job done,just like Ferguson.

Kenny's job is mostly man management and organisation and his players are letting him down and it has more to do with that and showing off coaching qualifications.

Guest ShoePiss
Shut up lad, it's boring.

'lad'? You're a fucking joke on this forum, god knows what you called yourself before funnnnneeeee

Was Kenny being discussed as a dinosaur when he outwitted Andre Villas-Boas (holder of numerous UEFA gold stars and certificates for outstanding achievement in the field of excellence and a man who people on here were creaming over as the future of management not too long ago) twice in ten days earlier on in the season?

Was Kenny being discussed as a dinosaur when he outwitted Andre Villas-Boas (holder of numerous UEFA gold stars and certificates for outstanding achievement in the field of excellence and a man who people on here were creaming over as the future of management not too long ago) twice in ten days earlier on in the season?

What about Hodgson when he outwitted the multi-European Cup, Serie A & previous season's Premier League winner Carlo Ancelotti? After that game we weren't especially far away from the top four or five, if I recall correctly. We failed to build on it and it got particularly messy thereafter.

When it badly wrong, he looked bereft of ideas, constantly falling back on the same dated methods. Kenny's doing the same now, and his paranoid and increasingly odd comments aren't going to help him.

'lad'? You're a fucking joke on this forum, god knows what you called yourself before funnnnneeeee

Alright, alright, let's wipe them tears away. We get it, you love Dalglish, but I'm clean out of medals.

Just because you're upset or offended, it doesn't make you right.

No-one is calling Kenny a dinosaur.

No-one is saying that pro licences are the be all and end all, nor that someone managing a team who does not have one will lose to someone who does.

Comolli does hold a pro licence,and I think Clarke does too, so the club does have that knowledge within the system.

Given that UEFA and the Pl have set a standard I do not think that it is an unreasonable one.

Ultimately it is not only what you know that counts, but what you use of what you know.

Bad example. Thanks to player power, Chelsea were a shambles from start to finish under Villas-Boas.

Two great wins, but we travelled to the Bridge at the right time, same can be said of our trip to the Emirates.

Meh, I've got a shit Internet name thingy, get over it.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand.

Kenny needs to start being honest with us when things go wrong. This is a new born baby in terms of owners and money invested in this new future, hence we're all super-concerned at the hint of anything going in the wrong direction for any undue length of time. We're NOT going to get another go at this, on this scale, full stop, bottom line, this is our last chance, there will be no more big buyouts and pots of money, there will only be rinsers and leeches.

If you're happy with the direction of things, with the style, with the personnel, then fair enough.

I'm not, and I consider it justified and fair to point it out, because I don't want to be three years and £250m down the line, with Gerrard retired, and be no better off than Sunderland.

There are warning signs, and you've chosen to turn off the alarm system. You can't afford to do it, there's far too much to lose.

Kennys a lot of things, good things, and being stubborn is one of those things. It's a lot of fail to admit to, and he'll avoid that like the plague f he can.

Meh, I've got a shit Internet name thingy, get over it.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand.

Kenny needs to start being honest with us when things go wrong. This is a new born baby in terms of owners and money invested in this new future, hence we're all super-concerned at the hint of anything going in the wrong direction for any undue length of time. We're NOT going to get another go at this, on this scale, full stop, bottom line, this is our last chance, there will be no more big buyouts and pots of money, there will only be rinsers and leeches.

If you're happy with the direction of things, with the style, with the personnel, then fair enough.

I'm not, and I consider it justified and fair to point it out, because I don't want to be three years and £250m down the line, with Gerrard retired, and be no better off than Sunderland.

There are warning signs, and you've chosen to turn off the alarm system. You can't afford to do it, there's far too much to lose.

Kennys a lot of things, good things, and being stubborn is one of those things. It's a lot of fail to admit to, and he'll avoid that like the plague f he can.

So long as he does these things behind closed doors, it doesn't bother me that he doesn't also broadcast them to the likes of you. I guess I'm less egotistical.

So long as he does these things behind closed doors, it doesn't bother me that he doesn't also broadcast them to the likes of you. I guess I'm less egotistical.

Evidence shown in the last 3 months suggests that whatever he's saying or doing in training is not transferring to the football field.

That's a long time.

You blame Steve Clarke for our bad run of form and your back it up with evidence of a photo of him apparantly showing little emotion ..... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Obviously has fuck all to do with Kenny any of this , obviously .... i blame the tea lady for it all as she recently changed from Tetley to PG Tips.

I'm suggesting that the coaching this season has been less effective than the second half of last season, and that the difference could be Sammy Lee, who went, in one month only, from being "a key part of the team" to "services no longer required". What's the old saying 'two's company, three's a crowd' .I'm suggesting that a rift possibly developed between Lee and Clarke, which saw Kenny have to make a choice. Only conjecture, but there's a story to be told.

I'm suggesting that the coaching this season has been less effective than the second half of last season, and that the difference could be Sammy Lee, who went, in one month only, from being "a key part of the team" to "services no longer required". What's the old saying 'two's company, three's a crowd' .I'm suggesting that a rift possibly developed between Lee and Clarke, which saw Kenny have to make a choice. Only conjecture, but there's a story to be told.

It's possible.

My understanding was that he was the "Bibs and cones" man whose role under Rafa had been to translate Spanish, which had become the primary training ground and dressing room language, into English for Carra and Gerrard as he is a fluent Spanish speaker. Post Rafa and the amigos, his time was up.

Evidence shown in the last 3 months suggests that whatever he's saying or doing in training is not transferring to the football field.

That's a long time.

Well that's another matter, and it also relates not just to Kenny but also to Clarke.

Well that's another matter, and it also relates not just to Kenny but also to Clarke.

Be that as it may, it's Kenny's overall responsibility to ensure the first team is match-ready and prepared for each game. If Clarke is fucking up then he needs replacing, that's Kennys call. If he doesn't make that call, then he's culpable.

Be that as it may, it's Kenny's overall responsibility to ensure the first team is match-ready and prepared for each game. If Clarke is fucking up then he needs replacing, that's Kennys call. If he doesn't make that call, then he's culpable.

I don't think that Kenny sees a problem.

League Cup won, Europe guaranteed and a historic double looming.

I think/hope that this is at the heart of our slump in the league, and he simply plans to resight the cannon next season.

Do you honestly think this isn't bleeding obvious to everyone else?

Clarke's contract was set before kenny arrived. I doubt whether Kenny could sack Clarke.

It's possible.

My understanding was that he was the "Bibs and cones" man whose role under Rafa had been to translate Spanish, which had become the primary training ground and dressing room language, into English for Carra and Gerrard as he is a fluent Spanish speaker. Post Rafa and the amigos, his time was up.

When Kenny arrived last season, with Sammy still here ,we played 4-4-2.

This season, we've played 'anything goes' and dropped 4-4-2. Was there a tactical stand-off?