You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wigan at Home 24/03/12

Xherdan

Guest San Don
No please dont buy any more mediocre english players.

I think he's Irish...

He's scottish but has elected to play for the republic. He's a mixed up kid for sure. had the chance to join us under benitez but decided wigan were a better bet. Oh, wait.....

I think it's time to start Shelvey in the position he had today when he came on - a little deep, collecting the ball and quarter-backing it around. Mainly because he actually seemed up for getting the ball, waving his arms around to be noticed and generally wanting the play to go through him.

Compare and contrast to Downing and Henderson, who seem to actively want the ball as far away as possible.

In general the criticism of the players during the game was warranted, but I couldn't agree with the number of posters who decided to target Jonjo ten minutes after he was on. For the first time, I actually saw a good proportion of our base being purely negative baggers.

The post-match interview is like a spit in the fans face; it was only yesterday he said our squad was as fit if not fitter than most squads in the Premier League.

He must be feeling the pressure to come out with all these shit excuses recently like kit deals, squad size and tiredness.

Already regretting getting my Newcastle and Blackburn away tickets because I really can’t see us getting anything from either game – which is worrying.

My mates laugh at me, and I’m starting to wonder - are we underachieving or are we actually a bad squad/team whose achieving what it should be doing, mid table mediocrity and a Mickey Mouse cup?

Same here , and i cant defend it anymore i just put my hands up today whilst i was getting ripped , got a Sunderland mate who just laughs every time Hendersons name is mentioned , he says 20 mill i say 13+3 but whats the fucking point ?, i said to my gambling addict mate today to bet on 1-1 , nearly , i knew we woudn't win.

Im not here to stick the boot into Kenny , bollocks to that , ive watched all but a few games this season without the specs on and yeah weve played some good stuff at times but every team does , look at Blackburn ............ were dog shite its as simple as that it really is.

Kenny has to be relieved in the summer , hes set himself up to have the piss ripped out of him and its happening right now , i cant really believe what a mess hes made of it all , makes me fucking sad... but anyone seriously with genuine football knowledge and no red specs has known its been a mess from the summer , i hoped but deep down i knew it was all going to go to shit , but not this bad no-one could of seen this crap .... relegation form since Jan makes me want to throw up again , think i will.

Them signings have set us back years.

Them signings have set us back years.

This is why i'm scared. This is why i'm angry.

We have had bad seasons before but for the first time in a long time we were given a lifeline. A one-time shot in the arms to revive the club. It was in the shape of £115m.

That money was trusted in the hands of Kenny and Comolli. And they've pissed away our big chance to thrust ourselves into the major players.

Im a very worried Liverpool fan. I can't believe where we are but more so, i'm scared about where we're going to end up.

This is why i'm scared. This is why i'm angry.

We have had bad seasons before but for the first time in a long time we were given a lifeline. A one-time shot in the arms to revive the club. It was in the shape of £115m.

That money was trusted in the hands of Kenny and Comolli. And they've pissed away our big chance to thrust ourselves into the major players.

Im a very worried Liverpool fan. I can't believe where we are but more so, i'm scared about where we're going to end up.

Now you see, that's where I have my disagreement. I'm convinced that Kenny and Steve had a list of players they wanted. I'm also convinced that the list was longer than the players we got, and I'm feeling that its our inexperienced DOF that has emptied the kitty prematurely, and why our squad is still too damn thin. Kenny and Steve would NOT have had the purse strings, imo.

Kenny Dalglish blames cups and TV for Liverpool's defeat to Wigan

• 'Playing on Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday takes its toll'

• Liverpool manager unhappy Luis Suárez goal was disallowed

Share 226

reddit this

Paul Doyle at Anfield

guardian.co.uk, Saturday 24 March 2012 20.23 GMT

Article history

Luis Suárez of Liverpool gets the ball in the Wigan Athletic net but the goal was disallowed

Luis Suárez of Liverpool, third left, gets the ball in the Wigan Athletic net but the goal was disallowed for offside. Photograph: John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images

Kenny Dalglish suggested his team are paying the price for success as Liverpool lost to Wigan at Anfield for the first time in their history, the manager explaining that progress in both domestic cup competitions has caused fatigue among his squad.

Dalglish said that problem was compounded by television schedules stipulating that the Carling Cup winners had had to play three matches in six days, starting with the FA Cup quarter-final victory over Stoke last Sunday and followed by league defeats by Queens Park Rangers and now Wigan.

"We looked a wee bit tired," Dalglish said following the 2-1 loss. "We gave the ball away quite a lot in vital positions and that's not because the players can't play it's because of tiredness. You play on Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday and it is going to take its toll. We've not had enough players at our disposal to give them adequate rest. That's the problem put on the club by the television schedule and the fact that we've done well in two cups."

Dalglish also complained that a decisive point in the match was referee Lee Mason's refusal to award Luis Suárez a second goal when the sides were tied at 1-1, the official ruling that the Uruguayan had put the ball into the net with his arm. "There was no rhyme or reason why the second goal should have been chalked off, it wasn't handball," said Dalglish, who thought the ball had come off the striker's shoulder.

"I've seen a quick replay and it was a clear handball," said Roberto Martínez, who praised the referee's performance and, in particular, the way he handled Suárez. "We all know Suárez is an artist at getting free-kicks and good situations for his team but the referee was very strong."

The Wigan manager also praised his own team's character, saying: "I don't think we played as well as we played in the previous five games but I was pleased in the manner we coped after we conceded the goal. From then on the home side often takes control but I'm extremely proud that the players controlled the situation, kept the ball and took the sting out of the game in a mature way before going in front again. Liverpool did not look fluent at all and that's down to the hard work the players put in."

Looking for excuses is not a good sign.

Now you see, that's where I have my disagreement. I'm convinced that Kenny and Steve had a list of players they wanted. I'm also convinced that the list was longer than the players we got, and I'm feeling that its our inexperienced DOF that has emptied the kitty prematurely, and why our squad is still too damn thin. Kenny and Steve would NOT have had the purse strings, imo.

So your basically saying that comolli sat down during the summer and thought to himself, right lets spend on the average players first and then if theres any money left go get some world class?

There probably was a list but either we couldnt / wouldnt pay or they wouldnt come but thats still no excuse for basically throwing away 100 million pounds.

As too the squad being thin, dont we have all these young players waiting in the wings, surly with nothing to play for in the league they have to start coming into play

As the DOF, Comolli is the man who negotiates the fees/wages and is accountable to the Board for the money spent. The problem is that he is also the only person who knows anything about football ,so there is no-one to challenge his judgement.

We have a first team squad of 30, with a further 7 players whom we have chosen to loan out. That is not too thin for a team not playing in Europe.

Kenny's claim, bizarely spashed all over the OS that the players are tired playing two games a week against the likes of QPR and Wigan damages his credibility and is a vote of no-confidence in our fitness staff. If players are able to get away with sub-standard performances by telling the boss they are a bit tired then we are in big trouble.

He's scottish but has elected to play for the republic. He's a mixed up kid for sure. had the chance to join us under benitez but decided wigan were a better bet. Oh, wait.....

He turned us down because he knew he'd be in the reserves or at best sitting on the bench and hardly playing like jonjo at the minute. He was guaranteed first team football at wigan.

he's a player we've been linked with before. I didn't really notice him at all yesterday but there were sequences of up to 20 passes from wigan yesterday he was central to and the way we were unable to go through the centre of them too often means he and the rest of the midfield must have been doing something right.

:D

ClutchingStraws.jpg

Danny Murphy was right when he said Liverpool weren't playing under pressure when Kenny first came back.

After about 5 minutes the crowd where on the players back, that being said there is no urgency, no confidence, no fight or passion.

I feel with a few of them that they're just delighted to be here, no will to win.

We bought too many Care Bears and all they want to do is hibernate.

The above was supposed to be in reply to the below post not Anny Roads one.

Tired? Under Rafa and his first number 2 whos name escapes me, we had the fittest team in the league, and the high tempo we set knackered out the opposition, what the fuck has happened?

How have the signings last summer set us back years? People do realise that it was Hicks, Gillett and Moores who set us back years and not signing Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson? Get a sense of perspective for god sake.

So it's Hicks, Gillett & Moores fault we could be as low as 10th if results go against us before we next play next Sunday. In late March as well. Convenient cop-out excuse if ever there was one. Kenny has been backed with his own signings and had pretty much everything he wants since he came back.

You're the first to criticise United fans when they have a bad result and they choose to bring the Glazers up Robbie. Can't have it both ways.

So it's Hicks, Gillett & Moores fault we could be as low as 10th if results go against us before we next play next Sunday. In late March as well. Convenient cop-out excuse if ever there was one. Kenny has been backed with his own signings and had pretty much everything he wants since he came back.

You're the first to criticise United fans when they have a bad result and they choose to bring the Glazers up Robbie. Can't have it both ways.

Its not their their fault that we spunked a lot of money on shite players. Thats not my point. But they are the reason we had to lower our expectations to sign that calibre. Im not trying to absolve the blame on Kenny, Comolli or the players. But we were on our way to mid table mediocrity long before we decided to sign these players and that is down to the yanks.

I never thought I would hear Kenny come out with the old chestnut"the boys are tired"!. Get real Kenny they are not good enough and sorry you brought some of them in.Please get it sorted or the semi final will be lost and carry on this form we will not finish in the top 10.

I do think that there is a fair argument that some of the players bought are being played wrong, more than being poor signings. I think Henderson falls into that category, he should have been used as cover for Gerrard, rather than being shoe horned onto the right, which is destroying him.

Downing did a couple of good things the first half, but that is his problem, it is not consistent, but why is he being played on the right, and why is he encouraged to move inside all the time as he isn't that type of player?

It is the same with Caroll, what is he supposed to do, what is his role? We just seem to use him for the odd match and then put him back on the bench, whilst players like Adam, Henderson and Enrique can put in half arsed performances without any sense of being held responsible.

According to the papers this morning (I realise this doesn't mean much) there will be a review of the whole structure at the end of the season, which I hope involves questioning why we bought who we did buy, what was the reasons, and why we do not seem to be addressing our obvious weaknesses.

My heart is ruling my head at the moment, but that is the only reason why I want Kenny to stay, the possibility of him winning the title is worth the risk in my opinon.

If we are too believe that our strategy is to build a young team from the youth then I would be very dissapointed if the UEFA cup group stage doesn't include, Sterling, Suso, Wisdom, Texiera and others.

I would also like to see Shelvey play defensive midfield in these matches (and now to be honest), a little bit of creative thinking, and for once a good £10m signing becoming a £25m pound player rather than a £5m pound mid table player.

On the evidence of this seasin, I think it'll be close to all out in the Europa, to hell with any impact it might have on the league, with tiredness blamed when we struggle to gain a foothold in te top 10 alongside our peers like Everton, Sunderland & West Brom. If Kenny's here next season, I'd like to think that te owners will take him to on side and tell him in no uncertain terms that he's to use the competition as approving ground for secondary players. You don't perform well in your domestic league by prioritising the Thursday Cup.

I do think that there is a fair argument that some of the players bought are being played wrong, more than being poor signings. I think Henderson falls into that category, he should have been used as cover for Gerrard, rather than being shoe horned onto the right, which is destroying him.

Downing did a couple of good things the first half, but that is his problem, it is not consistent, but why is he being played on the right, and why is he encouraged to move inside all the time as he isn't that type of player?

It is the same with Caroll, what is he supposed to do, what is his role? We just seem to use him for the odd match and then put him back on the bench, whilst players like Adam, Henderson and Enrique can put in half arsed performances without any sense of being held responsible.

According to the papers this morning (I realise this doesn't mean much) there will be a review of the whole structure at the end of the season, which I hope involves questioning why we bought who we did buy, what was the reasons, and why we do not seem to be addressing our obvious weaknesses.

My heart is ruling my head at the moment, but that is the only reason why I want Kenny to stay, the possibility of him winning the title is worth the risk in my opinon.

A really good post in full.

I don’t believe that there is any chance of Kenny winning the title, primarily because I don’t think that FSG will fund it.

The issue of a “review” fills me with dread. Who will conduct it? FSG don’t know anything about football. Ayre can’t manage an FA Tribunal hearing, an FSG placeman. Comolli is head of football, but complicit in the signings, he isn’t going to blame himself, and Kenny is now quoted as saying that we are better than our league position after 30 games. Meanwhile, Brian Barwick, ex head of ITV Sport, ex head of the FA, Professor in Strategic Management, and EXACTLY the calibre of individual who should be CEO is conducting a review of LFCTV........................................

I thought, and think, that having a DOF is fundamentally a decent idea. I understand why FSG wanted their own man, Comolli, to advise on football. But when he was appointed no-one envisaged that he would be asked to manage a Liverpool legend and a man vastly more experienced than himself.

FSG need to be told what they don’t want to hear, not what people who owe their livelihoods to them think that they should hear.

Barwick should be given a much bigger brief, or Broughton called back in (who understood that FSG would build a new stadium). FSG’s lack of football knowledge has hurt us, but they can still turn that to their advantage by taking a dispassionate look at who has been doing their job- and who hasn’t.