Quantcast
QPR 3 Liverpool 2 - Prem (Mar 21 2012) - Page 2 - 1st team 2011-2012 - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TLW

QPR 3 Liverpool 2 - Prem (Mar 21 2012)

I felt Carra played a major part in both of their first two goals. I can't help but feel that Carra gave Hendo a shout for the first as he was steaming in for a ball he'd never win and Henderson's reaction was clearing the way rather than clearing the lines. Second goal, Taiwo drifted past him and comfortably set himself to place the cross while Carra tried to get back.

Ultimately it's not about him being past-it, but we need to be realistic what he can do, so does he and so does Kenny. He can marshall and organise a defence brilliantly, time his tackles and help those around him. But he doesn't have the pace to win a ball in the air when others are closer to it and he can't play full back. Especially not when the only players the opposition have with any pace are out there (Traore, Taiwo and Cisse moved wider out there in the second half).

Fair comments about Reina. He's had a poor season by his standards but hopefully it's just a blip and I still think he's by far the best keeper we've had in the past 20 years. It does sem like every time the opposition gets a chance it ends up in the net though and his failure to save a single penalty has been irritating me for some time. I know a keeper is the underdog in that situation but some keepers seem to be a lot better at doing it than others and even the mediocre keepers in the league seem to save one occasionally. It's especially frustrating because he was so good at saving them when he arrived here. I remember reading he had something like a 50 percent success rate at saving them for Villarreal so how can you go from that to his 0 percent success rate of the past couple of seasons?

Nothing really much to add about the match. We've thrown away some unbelievable points this season but that was taking the piss even by our standards. QPR probably couldn't believe their luck at the end of the game.

I've been wondering what the answer is to our mental weakness for years. Sometimes I think we must just sign mentally weak players but that makes no sense really. So I have a new theory, which is prompted by Dave's criticism of Reina and is pure guesswork, but here goes.

Our last 3 managers, Kenny included, have massively emphasised the team aspect of the game - which is absolutely and totally valid. BUT I have started to wonder, is this emphasis on the 'team' over-emphasis? Does it take personal pride away from the players? Because it's all very well saying "we win as a team and lose as a team", but could that possibly absolve the players of personal responsibility, that nouse to look at themselves and ask if they gave everything, and if they didn't, do they really care?

I don't think Reina was ever the Shay Given kind of keeper that throws himself about to make acrobatic saves. He's more about being in a good position so he doesn't have to do that; I can't remember Reina doing many 'one for the cameras' type saves in his time at the club. Most of his best saves this season have been one on ones, so they aren't quite as memorable as they can be put down to bad finishing just as easily as good goalkeeping.

I can't argue against him not being in as good form as the past several seasons, but he's been nowhere near as bad as some are making out (not necessarily in this thread). I do wish we'd get Valero back though since Pepe seemed to love working with him and he helped out our strikers a fair bit too.

Just hope Paul Robinson doesnt replace him. Then you will know we have a crap keeper.

We'd have a proper playmaker though.

I don't think Reina was ever the Shay Given kind of keeper that throws himself about to make acrobatic saves. He's more about being in a good position so he doesn't have to do that; I can't remember Reina doing many 'one for the cameras' type saves in his time at the club. Most of his best saves this season have been one on ones, so they aren't quite as memorable as they can be put down to bad finishing just as easily as good goalkeeping.

Exactly, dont buy into the criticism of Reina at all and tomorrow I will post some stats about it.

Look at the differenc e here, it shows that Reinas positioning is superior to Hart and thats why he does not make the spectacular saves it looks like people think makes a great keeper.

Reina:

4.1 saves pr match.

Pushed wide 5 %

Blocked 3 %

Caught 70 %

Fumbled 1 %

Parried 9 %

Punched 10 %

Tipped over 1 %

Stopped with feet 1 %

Hart:

4.02 saves pr match

Pushed wide 9 %

Blocked 2 %

Caught 51 %

Fumbled 1 %

Parried 23 %

Punched 8 %

Tipped over 5 %

Stopped with feet 1 %

I'm not going to say much more than that I think.

Agree to an extent about Reina. I still think his strengths in reading the game and his distribution make him ideal for us, but his shot stopping and especially his one on ones are his weaknesses atm. Agree totally about the GK coaching too, but that has been evident since Valero's exit, so why are noone doing anything about it, be it Kenny, Comolli or others?

I still think there are a few just as big elephants in the room, and this might not go down too well with the locals. I'm already in the red big-time, so I'll have a little rant:

1. How many times have you seen our captain take charge in games like this? He's bailed us out a great number of times, but I want to see Lucas made captain next season. I actually think it's highly reasonable that England look elsewhere when choosing their captain, and I hope we do soon to. Imo Gerrard is the epitome of our game-raising/cup team mentality. There, that should give me plenty of negs.

2. Carra. I was shocked to see him start this. I expected him to play against the bitters, and he didn't let us down there. In the remaining games though, we need to play Coates, especially when Agger's out, as Carra just gifts the ball to the opposition every time. His legs are completely gone (as the last 20 mins proved), and he should never in a milion years play full back again. It's not his fault he's picked though, and I'll get to that later...Coates showed some of his qualities in this one, and I'm sure this guy will be immense for us, if Kenny dares to do the right thing.

3.....which brings me to our manager. Why the hell does he keep making the same mistakes time and time again. I really want Kenny to succeed, but on current evidence he won't. I'm afraid he will shirk away from doing the tough thing in benching Carra now, and he'll also keep playing his pet Henderson at every opportunity. He still fails to include Maxi in the starting line-up, and when he does the poor Argentine is the first to be subbed. This time he wasn't even in the squad (shakes head). The line-up was strange enough, but the subbing of Suarez was criminal, and the main reason for our loss imo. That basically said to the QPR defenders. Ok, we've given up on scoring now, you can have a go instead. Remember Rafa being ridiculed for subbing Torres away to Birmingham? This was 10 times worse. Torres had been increasingly shit that time, and looked absolutely disinterested. Granted, N'gog was hardly likely to set the house on fire, but what the hell did Kenny expect Carroll to contribute at that stage. Insane decision, and Suarez headshake was a lot more called for than the exchange of looks between Gerrard and Torres back at St.Andrews. Injury to Suarez? Please. The revisionism and bias on here is laughable at times, and I do expect better from our esteemed leader on here. Usually agree with much of the match reports, but I think the mistakes by the management in this one are as much to blame as the players.

Look at the differenc e here, it shows that Reinas positioning is superior to Hart and thats why he does not make the spectacular saves it looks like people think makes a great keeper.

Reina:

4.1 saves pr match.

Pushed wide 5 %

Blocked 3 %

Caught 70 %

Fumbled 1 %

Parried 9 %

Punched 10 %

Tipped over 1 %

Stopped with feet 1 %

Hart:

4.02 saves pr match

Pushed wide 9 %

Blocked 2 %

Caught 51 %

Fumbled 1 %

Parried 23 %

Punched 8 %

Tipped over 5 %

Stopped with feet 1 %

I'm not going to say much more than that I think.

Not sure if it proves or disproves anything, but I have another theory to add to this. We give away relatively few chances, but when attackers finally get a chance against us, it's always a big one. It may be a free header from 5 yards (Cisse/Derry) or a one-on-one completely unchallenged (Mackie). If you look at the goals we've conceded this season, I bet most of them are 5-8 yards out, or/and one-on-ones. Coincidentally, when we get our chances, we usually have to work a lot harder for them it seems.

Anyway, back to Pepe. I totally agree with Code(that usually happens once or twice a year) about Reina's positioning. His quick legs have saved us more times than I'd like to remember. When someone aims for the top corner, he just runs over and picks the ball down. That looks a lot less spectacular than say Joe Hart (who makes two steps before throwing himself towards the top corner, fisting it over the bar), but is just as effective. Using Hart as an example may not be right, as he has been great at short-range efforts too, but I don't think Pepe has been/is as bad as the report suggests.

His lack of penalty saves is annoying, but I think the combination of lacking in coaching and penalty takers sussing him out is the explanation there. Pepe dives to his right at least 8 out of 10 times, and with the exposure has been getting through the years for his penalty saving, the takers are bound to have picked up on his "weaker side". It's getting to him though, and he doesn't seem as happy as he used to. That may be down to our results, but I guess he's not entirely happy with himself (nor the coaching situation) either.

Completely agree about Reina, Dave. Glad someone like yourself has said something. He's just so static for a lot of our goals & doesn't even bother diving. Almost like he's always flat or wrong footed.

Sign in to follow this