You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Personally don't think he could've done anything about that, he also made a great save from walcott in that game.

You may be right, and perhaps rather than a soft goal, I should have bracketed it in the "quality save" category.

As I just posted on the MF, I reckon there are quite a few goalies that have come to Anfield this term who, if they had faced that shot against us, would have saved it.

Even though they may not have been "expected" to.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I am saying is that I don't think that Pepe Reina is the goalkeeper he was of yesteryear. A couple of years ago fans were begging him to stay & I agreed with that, now I don't. His standards have dropped significantly from being the 2nd best goalie in the world(behind Casillas) to not even being the second best goalie in England. Goodnight.

It's pretty simple - the team in front of him is not as good as it was back in 2008-9.

The club has been through a very difficult period and there isn't a player in that squad who's form hasn't suffered.

Without the likes of Reina, Carragher, Gerrard, Torres & Kuyt the drop in to mediocrity would have been a lot more sudden and apparent.

Since Dalglish has comeback we've seen good improvement in our defending and Reina has played a big part in that. What was our undoing against QPR the other night? Some may say the chances missed but i'd firstly look how disrupted our back 4 has been by injury over the past month or so. Losing 2 key defenders in Agger and Johnson is hard to deal with especially when you're already missing your first choice defensive midfielder. Then to lose Kelly on top of all that and having to shift Carra to right back made us all the more vulnerable. QPR would have been in the game sooner had we not started so well in an attacking sense.

To sum up, the star players in our squad are suffering because the team as a whole is lesser than the sum of its parts. It's a team still trying to find its identity and when injuries/suspensions kick in then that becomes all the more harder to come by.

A goalkeeper's confidence is in sync with his defence. The loss of Agger (again) and players like Carra and Lucas, will undoubtedly affect Pepe's confidence. Coates is new, and Enrique wouldn't inspire confidence in any goalkeeper. A great attacking fullback he is, but a defender he isn't.

A goalkeeper's confidence is in sync with his defence. The loss of Agger (again) and players like Carra and Lucas, will undoubtedly affect Pepe's confidence. Coates is new, and Enrique wouldn't inspire confidence in any goalkeeper. A great attacking fullback he is, but a defender he isn't.

At last,a very sensible post.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Needs men on each post to come off his line, his reflexes have appeared to got slower and seems to plant himself a bit too hard in some situations. I put this down to the coaching he is recieving.

Needs men on each post to come off his line, his reflexes have appeared to got slower and seems to plant himself a bit too hard in some situations. I put this down to the coaching he is recieving.

He also seems to be easily rattled by opponents deliberately standing next to him and looks for fouls when there are often none there.

Maybe more a mental thing going on with him than a physical one?

lets bring some facts to the table before the bullshit about Reina gets spread any further.

I really, really hope that people understand that its not the amount of Hollywood saves you make which decides how good a keeper you are.

In fact the less such saves you make the better a keeper you probably are because you will have a superior positioning.

So lets look at some numbers and examples.

Reina:

164 saves made

4.1 saves pr match.

Pushed wide 5 %

Blocked 3 %

Caught 70 %

Fumbled 1 %

Parried 9 %

Punched 10 %

Tipped over 1 %

Stopped with feet 1 %

Hart:

169 saves made

4.02 saves pr match

Pushed wide 9 %

Blocked 2 %

Caught 51 %

Fumbled 1 %

Parried 23 %

Punched 8 %

Tipped over 5 %

Stopped with feet 1 %

Vorm:

160 saves made

5.71 saves pr match

Pushed wide 11 %

Blocked 0 %

Caught 62 %

Fumbled 1 %

Parried 16 %

Punched 4 %

Tipped over 6 %

Stopped with feet 0 %

Krul:

175 saves made

5.3 saves pr match

Pushed wide 1 %

Blocked 4 %

Caught 65 %

Fumbled 1 %

Parried 18 %

Punched 7 %

Tipped over 4 %

Stopped with feet 0 %

No one is judging him purely on penalty saving but it's alarming that firstly he used to be a top top penalty saving expert, the best in Spain and secondly you see other goalies make penalty saves quite often, the Arsenal guy has saved a few and he's only been around a season, Hart saves a good few a season, in fact they all save some penalties except our man!

Guest The Big Green Bastard
lets bring some facts to the table before the bullshit about Reina gets spread any further.

STATS

Not as good as Hart getiing down to push the ball wide then? Why you would compare him to Vorm or Krul is truly shocking. Should you not be comparing him to the top 4 teams keepers as that is the position that we are capable of reaching according to your good self.

Krul has had Steven Taylor injured and out for the season and also Ryan Taylor & Davide Santon alternating at left back, yet he is still a very good keeper for Newcastle. Same with Arsenal's keeper, whose name I'm not even going to try and spell, has hardly had a consistent back four ahead of him, they've had the likes of Coquelin, Gibbs, Vermaelen & Santos at left back and different combinations of Vermaelen, Koscielny, Mertesacker & Miquel at centre back plus Sagna missing half of the season with an injury yet he's still been brilliant for them.

Not as good as Hart getiing down to push the ball wide then? Why you would compare him to Vorm or Krul is truly shocking. Should you not be comparing him to the top 4 teams keepers as that is the position that we are capable of reaching according to your good self.

The reason I included Vorm and Krul is that they have got loads of plaudits this season for their play.

For me its a bit like tackling, when a poorer keeper has to dive to make a save, Reina might just catch it because of superior positioning.

Much the same as when a player with poor positioning has to make a tackle a better player just wins the ball through being in the right place at the right time.

Good positioning is the key ability for a keeper and reina does not have his equal in the PL.

Anybody blaming Pepe for not saving a penalty which was placed right in the corner at pace is an idiot.

This is being over-analysed.

Pepe was, and is, a very good keeper.

Our problem is not the defence, it is an attack which is scoring too few goals, which is putting excessive pressure on our defence.

Pepe's form has dipped, but nothing like the underperformance of Luis with only seven league goals, Carroll et al.

A scoring attack, a midfield scoring a few and protecting the back line and Pepe can rest easy again, and relax.

Reina needs to get his finger out of his arse, stop posing, shed a bit of timber and start making a save every now and then. He's living off his reputation from about four years ago. He's been well below the standards he's set himself for ages now. Just because there's crap all over the rest of the field as well shouldn't stop him taking his share of the blame.

Reina needs to get his finger out of his arse, stop posing, shed a bit of timber and start making a save every now and then. He's living off his reputation from about four years ago. He's been well below the standards he's set himself for ages now. Just because there's crap all over the rest of the field as well shouldn't stop him taking his share of the blame.

Finally, some sense. Every point is spot on.

I genuinely think we should give Doni a chance now.

I watch them warm up together before every game, the kid's got skills. We need to Get Reina out of his little comfort zone. As others have touched on he is living on his reputation.

Seriously, ask yourself which managers would swap Pepe for their keepers. I bet any money that Wenger wouldn't swap his guy for Pepe, Fergie wouldn't swap his 2 keepers for Pepe, Pardew wouldn't swap Krul for Pepe, Mancini wouldn't want Pepe over Hart, I don't think any of the so called giants of the game would want him either.

He looks like a keeper in decline. I hope he can get it back. I don't know that he is fat but he certainly seems to have lost a lot of agility. If he wants to leave then I think he is doing a terrible job. He is not looking his best.

Guest San Don
Seriously, ask yourself which managers would swap Pepe for their keepers. I bet any money that Wenger wouldn't swap his guy for Pepe, Fergie wouldn't swap his 2 keepers for Pepe, Pardew wouldn't swap Krul for Pepe, Mancini wouldn't want Pepe over Hart, I don't think any of the so called giants of the game would want him either.

He looks like a keeper in decline. I hope he can get it back. I don't know that he is fat but he certainly seems to have lost a lot of agility. If he wants to leave then I think he is doing a terrible job. He is not looking his best.

While I agree his form has dipped, I think its a bit hasty to call him a keeper 'in decline'!

He looks to me like someone who wants a new challenge but hasnt come to terms he'd have to leave to get that.