You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Comolli buys

redsoxs

I think it can work, but as with anything, you need the right talent in place. Let's not forget that Commoli was once responsible for an £18 million splurge on Bentley. Bale, his biggest success, was a disaster in the position he was brought in to play.

Commoli had mild success at St. Etienne, but certainly nothing to suggest he deserved a crack at the several hundred million pound budget we have here. I think its accepted now that if you assemble a high calibre team of players on the pitch, they will perform more or less regardless of the coach. A good coach may add a few points here and there over an inferior one, but the most crucial thing is getting the talent on the pitch. Whoever was responsible for assembling this squad - which has holes everywhere, and is heavily reliant upon an older core of players - has to go. No second chances.

An idiotic post. The fact that you sight Bale as one of his failures sums up its shiteness. You have no idea what position Comolli saw Bale in long term, a signing which has turned out to be a great one. Interestingly you don't mention modric or any of the players he signed for a pittance whilst at arsenal. If you really think it was comolli forcing kenny into signing adam, henderson, carroll and downing then you need to get a grip.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how does that work?

Comolli is DOF and reports to the Board on football matters.

FSG write the cheques.

But KK has the "final say"? I don't think so.

Of course he does, Comolli and Kenny have both been very keen to stress that the manager has final say.

Of course he does, Comolli and Kenny have both been very keen to stress that the manager has final say.

Regardless who has the final say and who is responcible, It needs ammending as it obviously isnt working. Carroll, Henderson and Downing all over priced and underachieving.

the Carroll deal imparticular where Newcastle receive 25 per cent of a sell on fee, it makes my blood boil, considering the rip off price we laid out ! And that has got to be down to Comolli.

Yeah Im aware of that but I dont believe them because if that wasnt the case, neither them nor the owners would be stupid enough to say it as there'd be ruptions, press speculation, fans not happy and it would be very stupid IF they said otherwise WOULDNT IT? It would be the Houllier/Evans debarcle all over again and no one wants that.

Kenny has doffed his cap at everything just to get the chance to do the job and has to toe the line. The Moneyball strategy is in place and I was disappointed to hear we'd be in for the likes of David Wheather et al based on the American Football outcomes and a load of graphs and pie charts.

It means we will continue to buy shite, buy twice in case the odd one comes good and then we can all dance around the moneyball maypole and eat maryland cookies.

Its shite I hate it.

This is quite a pathetic attempt to reflect blame away from Kenny.

DC may be culpable for signings as well as Kenny, but there is no way he is solely to blame.

As SwindleThis mentioned, I remembered the King saying very clearly that he has final say on the signings. My understanding is that DC's role is scout-like, with added responsibilities to control the wage and transfer budget. He recommends and negotiates.

Of course, I have no clue and neither do any of you.

Whatever the case is, those involved in this year's signings should be embarrassed. The worst thing about our transfer business is that everybody in the world was sitting there shaking their heads, because even before any of the players kicked a ball we knew they weren't good enough.

Im sick of the propaganda coming out of the club and that needs the change. Im sick of Kenny telling us we were unlucky and our players should be proud of themselves. If thats what he truly feels then oh my. If its not, and its just positive spin, i'd rather not hear it because its insulting.

The underlined part, he should go for, Carrol for £15 mill, yes please, selling Anfield to pay for him was not what Kenny had in mind.

The bold part is the bottom line however, the fact that no one has come out and spelt it out exactly though means its likely that Commolli holds the power and its a bit embarrasing/inconvenient for anyone to actually point it out.

Kenny wont break rank so we have to read between the lines or withhold judgement and I include yourself in that.

Its hardly an attempt to remove Kenny from blame, how can it be, we are kept in the dark on how it is.

An idiotic post. The fact that you sight Bale as one of his failures sums up its shiteness. You have no idea what position Comolli saw Bale in long term, a signing which has turned out to be a great one. Interestingly you don't mention modric or any of the players he signed for a pittance whilst at arsenal. If you really think it was comolli forcing kenny into signing adam, henderson, carroll and downing then you need to get a grip.

Why does he? No one knows.

Commolli at the very fucking least is negotiating fees and wages and shit and thats whats been so galling about the above players. Jesus, it comes to something when he negotiates deals like that and you are wishing for the days when we had Purslow getting Cole on a free or Parry not answering his phone and deals falling through. Bring back Parry. Throw in Commolli's wages and if he's not cuplable then what the fuck does he do?

Commolli has signed a lot of shite in his career, he didnt just sign Bale and Modric you know, anyone can reel off a list of every player he has signed and lets see whats what cos I promise there will be reems of shite, for Downing, see Bentley etc.

What blatantly obvious is that even if you have an average team (Arsenal) but have a striker that is going to score 25+ goals a season then you will walk into the top 4. The Premiership really is that shite.

The only difference between Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool is RVP. Take him out of the Arsenal team and all 4 teams are equally shite/good, whichever way you want to cut it.

I don't care who is responsible for signings but I just hope we blow every single penny we have on a world class striker, rather than 2 overpriced £10m-£15m players. This issue should have been addressed in January (and maybe they tried) but there are no excuses this summer. FSG need to make funds available and Comolli and Kenny need to get it right otherwise they could both find themselves out of a job this time next season.

It's pretty simple.

KK states the positions he wants strengthened.

Comolli compiles a list of targets (Player, A, B, C etc etc)

They discuss various options, including the fee, wages, bonuses etc and how that fits in with money they have to spend i.e. If the price for player B is so much that we can't afford a player for another position,, is player A or C the preferred choice.

KK says, "I want Player B"

Comolli says "OK, I'll get on it, then if they want too much, I'll explore options for player A and C and come back to you"

What blatantly obvious is that even if you have an average team (Arsenal) but have a striker that is going to score 25+ goals a season then you will walk into the top 4. The Premiership really is that shite.

The only difference between Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool is RVP. Take him out of the Arsenal team and all 4 teams are equally shite/good, whichever way you want to cut it.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle will all finish above Liverpool, and only one of those teams has RVP. What are you talking about?

Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle will all finish above Liverpool, and only one of those teams has RVP. What are you talking about?

I can see his point though.

Compare their strikers to ours then.

I wouldnt even include Belllamy cos he hasnt played as a striker all season as far as I can remember.

Id do it but it would be too painful.

Lets compare strikers, from the BBC site:

7 Suarez

9 Carroll

18 Kuyt

39 Bellamy

Fernandez Saez

Two of them are played wide 99% of the time and who the other guy is I have no idea. Anyone?

Arsenal:

9 Park

10 van Persie

27 Gervinho

29 Chamakh

33 Afobe

Walcott

To be fair they only need VP.

Spurs:

10 Adebayor

15 Saha

17 Giovani

18 Defoe

53 Lancaster

Chelsea:

9 Torres

10 Mata

11 Drogba

18 Lukaku

21 Kalou

23 Sturridge

Bamford

Newcastle:

9 Cisse

11 Lovenkrands

19 Ba

20 Best

23 Ameobi

28 Ameobi

Nile Ranger

The thing I want to know is exactly what is Comolli responsible for?

If it's scouting, signings and transfer negotiations then he has been an absolute disaster.

If it's tactics then what is the point of Kenny even being at the club as his hands would be very tied.

If it's youth development then how has he impacted and what is he doing?

From my perspective I don't see what value the man has added to our club whatsoever.

Lets compare strikers, from the BBC site:

7 Suarez

9 Carroll

18 Kuyt

39 Bellamy

Fernandez Saez

Two of them are played wide 99% of the time and who the other guy is I have no idea. Anyone?

Arsenal:

9 Park

10 van Persie

27 Gervinho

29 Chamakh

33 Afobe

Walcott

To be fair they only need VP.

Spurs:

10 Adebayor

15 Saha

17 Giovani

18 Defoe

53 Lancaster

Chelsea:

9 Torres

10 Mata

11 Drogba

18 Lukaku

21 Kalou

23 Sturridge

Bamford

Newcastle:

9 Cisse

11 Lovenkrands

19 Ba

20 Best

23 Ameobi

28 Ameobi

Nile Ranger

is that meant to be suso??

Squad? You're joking right? Newcastle have us beat on one thing. Their striker scores goals. (And Cisse is scoring now too... so... two strikers that score)

Listen matey, any of:

4 Cabaye

8 Guthrie

10 Ben Arfa

18 Gutierrez

22 Marveaux

24 Tiote

25 Obertan

Id take right now. They have the luxury of keeping Ben Arfa on the bench for most the season. Yeah and two strikers that score goals. That makes a big difference. Theres some shite in our sqaud and the likes of Gerrard and Suarez mask a lot of it.

Henderson

Shelvey

Downing

Adam

Spearing

Maxi

Wouldnt get near that side.

Guthrie, Marveax, Obertan and Ben Arfa are shite. Anyone who can reference Marveaux when he has played four minutes all season is not being objective.

Our midfield is Henderson, Lucas, Gerrard, and Downing and one of their players would get in that midfield, and that is because Henderson is playing out of position.

Cabaye, Ba, Cisse, Ben Arfa and Tiote would all get into our side ahead of Kuyt, Henderson, Adam, Spearing, Lucas, Carroll and Downing.

If tiote and cabaye would both get into our side that would leave gerrard on the bench. Tiote cannot pass, lucas is a better player. Ben arfa can't get in the side ahead of ryan taylor. In short, you are quite wrong on this matter. Ba would get into our side. Thats it. There may be a shout for someone on the right but I would play kuyt ahead of ryan taylor or jonas personally. Its a little silly comparing one teams back up players with anothers first choice isn't it? Of course tiote is better than spearing. The question should be is perch better than spearing? We have a better squad than newcastle. We have a better first XI than newcastle. If we finish below them in league it will be down to serious under performance, not because they have a better squad for fucks sake.