You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Comolli buys

redsoxs

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xerxes, ultimately Kenny & Comolli will succeed or fail together, personally I don"t think we should be looking for divison as no-one wins going down that path.

I disagree.

When the shit hits the fan it's the Manager, not the DOF, who clears out his desk.

Matching a young DOF whose experience is London centric and France, with a vastly experienced older manager who knows the club inside out is a mismatch with division pretty much built in.

Now sometimes creative tension can be good, other times it can be destructive.

I accept that so far they have stood shoulder to shoulder.

There comes a point at which you have to allow what you have to work

Adding new players to a team that had not gelled is high risk, maybe you will buy the missing link, or maybe you just confuse the situation with more options.

I am aware of no-one whom we realistically could have bought, and would have come, that would have improved the side.

I think the 5 months leading up to january proved beyond any doubt that we had to act in january if we were to improve and get a top four finnish. Our problems have been evident since the first league game against Sunderland. We more often than not dominate play, creating chances, pushing the opposition back for long spells and what have you. But we dont score nearly enough goals. That is down to a lack of quality in the final third. Personally i was miffed we didnt get the players that would add that during the summer, but that we didnt do it in january after it was obvious to even a semi blind person was even worse. Granted the january window is difficult, but we are Liverpool and it seemed we just rolled over and accepted the situation rather than making a move to fix it.

Unless it's youngsters it would be pointless by Comolli to get a player the manager does not want, as he's the one who selects the team. But regardless of who's in charge and has the final say. It is obvious he/they can judge a player. Suarez, Enrique, Bellamy, Downing (not to some i suppose), Coates are good, talented players. And i think Henderson, Adam and Carroll are pretty decent squad players, it's the fee's of those latter, (and Downing) that should and could have been spent on better players IMO.

KK made it VERY clear in an older interview, that while Comolli identifies targets, he (KK) has the final say on who is brought in.

So how does that work?

Comolli is DOF and reports to the Board on football matters.

FSG write the cheques.

But KK has the "final say"? I don't think so.

I would love to see that interview if you could find it, as I believe its the other way around.

Swindlethis is correct. I remember that same interview. If you want to find it, there is a thing called google that you may of heard about. All the kids are raving about it.

So how does that work?

Comolli is DOF and reports to the Board on football matters.

FSG write the cheques.

But KK has the "final say"? I don't think so.

Example.

FSG, Kenny, and Comolli agree transfer window budget.

KK - I need a left winger.

DC - Mata or Downing?

KK - Downing.

DC - I shall make it so.

It's the decision not to buy in january which is fucking us right up the arse now. In my opinion.

You could obviously blame the dealings this last summer, but we didnt have a definite verdict of how the team would do, which we did have in january. And despite that, we did fuck all about it and when we still had an good chance of a top four finnish which we've now thrown away because we didnt act.

I couldn't agree more mate. It was painfully obvious to everyone pre January deadline that we were chronically deficient in attacking options, and our summer signings simply weren't putting in adequate performances. Even more compounded by the fact that Luis's lengthy ban had kicked in. I'm not advocating us making panic buys in the January window, but a signing in the mould of say Defoe would have been a much needed top up to the team. He would have come at a decent price because wasn't getting in the Spud's team, and various sources were saying that he was willing to come to LFC.

This may not have been the case, and you might not agree with me on Defoe, but it was clear that we would struggle to finish in the top 4 with this particular set of players.

We didn't buy in January. It was penny wise and pound crazy because now we stand to lose in excess of £40 million in CL revenue, and thus we will struggle

to attract genuine quality in the summer.

And just as an aside, how come some of the young lads like Raheem, Suso and N'Goo haven't been given any 1st team action this season? Downing, Henderson, Adam, and even AC overall have hardly done enough to justify giving them the odd run out. After last night's capitulation, you would expect some movement within the squad.

with no european football to offer we can only attract a certain level of player

with europa league that level goes up

with champions league footy to offer 95% of players in football are a realistic target

lets hope this summer we attract the right talent to get us into the top four.

or alternatively like some of the balloons on here suggest just sack kk and commoli and sign messi. job done.

Read an interview with either Kenny or Comolli in which it says that Comolli rang Kenny saying what about Carroll?? and kenny said do you think we can get him?? The rest is history..

This shows they both have a say in the signings but comolli's in charge of the negotiations.. If this is the case Comolli should get the bullet with the transfer fees been paid.

I expect to see minimum of 2 big signings in the summer, a clinical finisher and a skillfull winger. I also expect to see 4 or 5 other signings (with 5/6 leaving*), maybe youth and or young talented players who are cheap and yet to blossom. If not, you have to ask yourself WTF does DC do?

Read an interview with either Kenny or Comolli in which it says that Comolli rang Kenny saying what about Carroll?? and kenny said do you think we can get him?? The rest is history..

This shows they both have a say in the signings but comolli's in charge of the negotiations.. If this is the case Comolli should get the bullet with the transfer fees been paid.

I am in no doubt that Comolli controls fees/wages.

What is odd is how someone with that resposnibility would take a £35m/80k a week punt? The law of avareages say that 3 x £10mish players gives you a greater chance of success - and appreciation.

If Comolli has effectively blown the transfer budget, KK would have every right to feel miffed.

I don't like or want Commoli here. The buck stops with the manager there should be absolutely no confusion and if Kenny lives and dies by his own sword so be it, it's not right that Kenny could fall upon a sword shared and yet Commoli remains here afterwards giving his input to a new manager. Who the fuck is Commoli anyway what makes him this fucking football guru winning games with an under 16's side. He's got the job because he sucked billy beans cock and networked it.

I am in no doubt that Comolli controls fees/wages.

What is odd is how someone with that resposnibility would take a £35m/80k a week punt? The law of avareages say that 3 x £10mish players gives you a greater chance of success - and appreciation.

If Comolli has effectively blown the transfer budget, KK would have every right to feel miffed.

True. The word would be 'reckless'. Especially given that AC had limited Premiership experience when we signed him.

That said, I was impressed with him when he played for the barcodes and his last few performances have been quite good. I can't help thinking that it will always be a case of 'square pegs and round holes' with him though.

For 35m we should be signing proven, world class players and not mere prospects. It was a punt of epic proportion really.

And I won't even start to go on about the transfer fees paid out for Dourning and Henderson!

Guest TK-421
I don't like or want Commoli here. The buck stops with the manager there should be absolutely no confusion and if Kenny lives and dies by his own sword so be it, it's not right that Kenny could fall upon a sword shared and yet Commoli remains here afterwards giving his input to a new manager. Who the fuck is Commoli anyway what makes him this fucking football guru winning games with an under 16's side. He's got the job because he sucked billy beans cock and networked it.

Spot on.

The DoF model doesn't suit our club.

This is quite a pathetic attempt to reflect blame away from Kenny.

DC may be culpable for signings as well as Kenny, but there is no way he is solely to blame.

As SwindleThis mentioned, I remembered the King saying very clearly that he has final say on the signings. My understanding is that DC's role is scout-like, with added responsibilities to control the wage and transfer budget. He recommends and negotiates.

Of course, I have no clue and neither do any of you.

Whatever the case is, those involved in this year's signings should be embarrassed. The worst thing about our transfer business is that everybody in the world was sitting there shaking their heads, because even before any of the players kicked a ball we knew they weren't good enough.

Im sick of the propaganda coming out of the club and that needs the change. Im sick of Kenny telling us we were unlucky and our players should be proud of themselves. If thats what he truly feels then oh my. If its not, and its just positive spin, i'd rather not hear it because its insulting.

Guest the boy
Spot on.

The DoF model doesn't suit our club.

I think it can work, but as with anything, you need the right talent in place. Let's not forget that Commoli was once responsible for an £18 million splurge on Bentley. Bale, his biggest success, was a disaster in the position he was brought in to play.

Commoli had mild success at St. Etienne, but certainly nothing to suggest he deserved a crack at the several hundred million pound budget we have here. I think its accepted now that if you assemble a high calibre team of players on the pitch, they will perform more or less regardless of the coach. A good coach may add a few points here and there over an inferior one, but the most crucial thing is getting the talent on the pitch. Whoever was responsible for assembling this squad - which has holes everywhere, and is heavily reliant upon an older core of players - has to go. No second chances.

I've looked for this so called interview to no a vile, so I have no idea who controls what.... this is why i started the thread, there is far to much confusion about who controls what & roles KD & DC have in signing.

Edited by redsoxs

I've looked for this so called interview to no a vile, so I have no idea who controls what.... this is why i started the thread, there is far to much confusion about who controls what & roles KD & DC have in signing.

I'm sure they both understand their roles and i bet neither see the need to share that with you. Just because you are confused it does not follow that they are.