You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've helped black families…to guide them in the right direction

RedSand

Stand Your Ground had nothing to do with this case. His defense was plain old self-defense. SYG applies to dwellings and vehicles not bus stops.

Almost as fanciful as the idea of coked up blacks and public transit being allowed in Boca city limits.

I'm pretty sure he was not charged originally under SYG. Maybe after the hullabaloo (justifiably) they then charged him with second degree murder and manslaughter.

I've not followed it closely so I could be wrong.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having trouble reconciling these two paragraphs.

If the vast majority of people from ethnic minorities play the race card, why do the minority get annoyed with them for skewing the perception of their particular race, whatever it may be, as a whole? If the popular perception is that the race card is always played then how is that perception being skewed? If anything, it's being reinforced by such behaviour, it being an accurate (according to you) description of a typical person who belongs to an ethnic minority group.

I didn't explain it well with retrospect as I was on my phone on a quick break from work posting.

My point was out of the minorities (meaning ethnic minorities) I have met in my working and social life the majority (numbers) of these people were happy to play the race card at the drop of a hat. These were also the people who brought their race into everything when no-one else did and generally acted up and played the card when anything went against them.

The minority (numbers wise) of the minorities ( ethnically speaking...I can see where my comment went west) I have met who do not have this approach and do not use the race card and do not let their skin colour define them were always appalled at those who did. Because they see the "militant black power" people as tarring them with the same brush. The "skewed perception" phrase I used was probably not the best.

I'm pretty sure he was not charged originally under SYG. Maybe after the hullabaloo (justifiably) they then charged him with second degree murder and manslaughter.

I've not followed it closely so I could be wrong.

Aaah, I think I follow your train of thought. The police originally thought they could get away with not arresting zimmerman because of confusion over whether SYG applied or not. It didn't come up in the case because it doesn't.

I pin this one on mutual machismo and the concealed carry law. The situation probably wouldn't have escalated if everyone knew there was a gun involved at the get go.

Aaah, I think I follow your train of thought. The police originally thought they could get away with not arresting zimmerman because of confusion over whether SYG applied or not. It didn't come up in the case because it doesn't.

I pin this one on mutual machismo and the concealed carry law. The situation probably wouldn't have escalated if everyone knew there was a gun involved at the get go.

Surely the better answer would be that people wouldn't get shot if they didn't have guns at all

Surely the better answer would be that people wouldn't get shot if they didn't have guns at all

I wasn't proposing a better answer just sharing which stupid law I thought was most responsible for the situation turning out the way it did.

BTW Almost 1/2 of all households have a gun over here. Something like 3/4s don't want handguns banned, so your better answer is no answer at all.

Just give everyone a gun. Man, woman, black, white, gay, straight. If everyone has a gun then everyone knows where everyone else stands.

It would certainly do away with the indecision of "I wonder if they've got a gun".

Although it does raise the question "I wonder if they can draw faster than me". I'd probably have mine set up on a sliding mechanism up my sleeve, a la Travis Bickle. You talkin' to me?

I wasn't proposing a better answer just sharing which stupid law I thought was most responsible for the situation turning out the way it did.

BTW Almost 1/2 of all households have a gun over here. Something like 3/4s don't want handguns banned, so your better answer is no answer at all.

Difficult is not the same as impossible. 30 years ago the current Uk and European restrictions on smoking would have been considered unthinkable. Gun control in USA could be worked towards

What a fucked up country.

Not this case, in particular. These types of things happen in every country.

It's the extent to which every issue is sensationalized and politicized. There's no room for real discussion, or compromise, or reconciliation. Each side, in the press, in the legislatures, and in the street, takes their position, spins every element of every issue to match that position, and sees every result in terms of victory and defeat.

It's no wonder the country is in such a mess.

Well it works in civilised countries anyway.

Bored are we?

I read somewhere that you could triangulate the western european weltanschauung using just Darwin, Freud and Marx. Replace Marx with John Wayne/the frontiersman and you have the American world view.

What a fucked up country.

Not this case, in particular. These types of things happen in every country.

It's the extent to which every issue is sensationalized and politicized. There's no room for real discussion, or compromise, or reconciliation. Each side, in the press, in the legislatures, and in the street, takes their position, spins every element of every issue to match that position, and sees every result in terms of victory and defeat.

It's no wonder the country is in such a mess.

Is it so very different over there? It wasn't so long ago that Alastair Campbell was publishing white papers and doing lecture tours over here on how to spin and polarize properly.

As an aside, you would get a far more balanced perspective on this case by synthesizing from the histrionics in the american press than you would from the more one sided reporting you are getting in the UK. IMO.

A bit. But actually there are very few guns in Europe and surprisingly very few shootings. I know the gun lobby wouldn't like it though.

Ban sugar and the great british dental problem goes away. Ban beer and DUI goes away.

BTW If you think it is only the gun control lobby that are an issue, you are very much mistaken. Americans want their guns.

Ok, I think the sensible thing to do here is to take a step back and look at where we are. We have one more dead black dude, who barring any as yet undisclosed talent for rapping, basketball or running a very quick drug fuelled 100m probably wouldn't have contributed an awful lot to anything. We also have one big fat arrogant gun-toting white american who barring any as yet undisclosed talent for, errr... whatever it is that fat gun-toting white americans are good at, will also contribute a great big bag of fuck all to the world at large. One has killed the other for reasons unclear. Were both alive, both would likely under light cross-examination be proven to be dribbling arse-wipes.

I'm struggling to give a shit about this.

Ban sugar and the great british dental problem goes away. Ban beer and DUI goes away.

BTW If you think it is only the gun control lobby that are an issue, you are very much mistaken. Americans want their guns.

but the point of sugar is as a flavouring, alcohol as a social lubricant those are unintended side effects. guns are meant to kill people.

Americans may want their guns but plenty of people want plenty of things they can't or shouldn't have and that's no different.

Is it so very different over there? It wasn't so long ago that Alastair Campbell was publishing white papers and doing lecture tours over here on how to spin and polarize properly.

As an aside, you would get a far more balanced perspective on this case by synthesizing from the histrionics in the american press than you would from the more one sided reporting you are getting in the UK. IMO.

Sorry, I'm Canadian.

I get as balanced a perspective as possible, probably. Including the synthesis you recommend.