You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coates or Carra in the FA cup (Stoke)

redsoxs

I just know that kevin friend will be the ref, and his last match was one of the shocking performance i have ever seen.

Yip, not a Friend to Liverpool, if memory serves me right he give EVERYTHING to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, a real homer.

Carra deserves to stay because he did nothing wrong against the blooshite. However - Coates did nothing to deserve being back on the bench again. I think Kenny selected Carra against Everton because he's scouse and he wanted the passion for the derby - someone who realises what the derby means to the fans and the club.

Maybe we will need a 6ft 6" centre half against the long ball club tho.

Dunno. I'd probably keep Carra, but i trust Kenny to call it right.

Coates was in the CC match at theirs and was responsible for their first goal (Jones, I think it was). But then he seemed to play himself into the game. Still, I'd play Carragher against Stoke though in this cup game because it's going to be a bruising one. Save Coates for Cisse and QPR on Wednesday.

Carra got some over the top stick for the arsenal game instead of questioning Enrique or Downing. I personally would shade him ahead of Coates. He took deference to Martin on Tuesday and that is as important as anything, I know cunts dont like him because he voiced his opinion about Rafa, but on his day he is still a better defender than Coates, whose day will come.

Guest TK-421

Coates looked a bit wobbly at Sunderland and got caught underneath one high ball in particular. Stoke would exploit that, so Carra for me unless we go 3-5-2.

Carra for me! We are at home So we will take the game to them and have total control so our defending won't be the problem, our problem will be converting the numerous chances we create. If the game was at the Britannia however I would of chose coates to play instead of carra.

Carra, he'll be more clued up on Stoke's physical tactics and doesn't mind giving as good as he gets in that department. Coates would win more aerially but i don't think he's quite ready for the argey bargey, he's big but still seems to get levered off the ball when someone puts in a sly shove.

My only worry would be Carra's pace. We'll have the lion share of possession, but Stoke'll look to break with a few punt-and-runs and he'll have to stay well back to avoid getting caught out, particularly if Skrtel roams forward.

Play three at the back, with wing backs - Coates playing in between skrtel and carra, with Johnson on the right, and enrique on the left, BUT they have to bomb forwards when they can.

3 across the middle (Gerrard, Spearing and Adam), and caroll plus suarez up front.

I include Adam because stoke will drop deeper to deal with his diagonal ball, and Spearing to shield the CB's.

Luis will get some free kicks, and carroll will add some power both in defense (set pieces) and attack.

I cant really see it being anything but the team that played on Tuesday night mate. Maybe Jordan Henderson being rested.

This. Dirk in for Hendo, we'll dick 'em. Coates' time will come but he looked a little shaky against Sunderland so I'm leaning towards Carra. Lose this and our season's all but over so would prefer the experienced head.

Play three at the back, with wing backs - Coates playing in between skrtel and carra, with Johnson on the right, and enrique on the left, BUT they have to bomb forwards when they can.

3 across the middle (Gerrard, Spearing and Adam), and caroll plus suarez up front.

I include Adam because stoke will drop deeper to deal with his diagonal ball, and Spearing to shield the CB's.

Luis will get some free kicks, and carroll will add some power both in defense (set pieces) and attack.

I think Johnson is out for this one but Kelly is a great back-up so no worries in that regard. I would rather see Henderson starting over Adam to be honest; the latter needs to realise he's not quite as gifted as he would like to believe.

I'd be tempted to go 442, personally. Kelly, Carra, Skrtel, Enrique as the back four. Whilst I agree that Coates needs games to develop and gel with the team, I think it would be better for him to be blooded in the remaining league games, as they are now essentially meaningless and he won't be under as much pressure in those games as a result.

Stoke play a direct, long ball game. I don't think Carra's lack of pace will be relevant in this one so have no qualms with him starting.

I think Coates has got a big mistake in him every time he plays and you can't really afford that in a cup quarter final.

I don't really think such a big game against Stoke City is the time for potential, not in that area of the pitch anyway.

Play the one that gives us the best chance of winning the game and progressing in the cup. Imo that is Coates. He's better equipped at dealing with their aerial threat, and uses the ball better too. Both players "have a mistake" in them, so that's not really an issue for me. Walters has bullied Carra around in their last meetings, so I'd rather see how Coates can deal with him and Jones/Crouch.