You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard is really back!

Philbert

Looking at his display on Tuesday I think this is the 'Gerrard' we hoped we would see when he returned from injury.

He seemed to be moving freely, and demonstrated that languid, fluid style when he's at the top of his game. His first touch was superb and his first time strikes for goals 2 & 3 were excellent.

Just wonder how influential he can now be on the run-in?

Steven Gerrard is a phenom; the best tackler, passer and finisher at the club. That being said over the last three seasons he hasn't put together a sustained run of form that you'd expect from a legitimately world class player. A lot of that has to do with being injured, but I think it's dangerous for us to so heavily depend on a player who, for all his talent, at this stage of his career is, unfortunately, unreliable.

Was a very good performance by Stevie, but lets wait until he starts performing like that week in week out until we start saying he is back to his best. Most of us thought after his performance Newcastle in his comeback that he looked ready to put in some brilliant performances in for us but he's been average by his standards barring a few exceptional moments since that game.

It will be a criminal waste of resources if we can't find a system where Gerrard can excel and play aswell as we know he can week in week out.

still reckon we need a better holiding midfielder. Spearing is decent and Lucas is gonna be great when he comes back but we still need someone new. Lassana Diarra maybe? That way Stevie can be an out and out attacking midfielder. him behind Suarez and Carroll would be boss

He is a legend and a reminder of what class is like on the footbal field and what an impact it can make.

Indeed, and also class off the field when you consider the stick he takes (Southport fracas was a blip!). His post-derby interview was very respectful & restrained (all things considered).

Gerrard was immense, and has been his whole career really.

I hope he stays fit in the run in and Kenny find a way to use him, Carroll and Suarez more. First game this season they all started together in the prem. And it looked good.

Everton though were wide open in midfield and Gerrard wont have the same freedom to go forward in most games, so maybe we oughta think about having 3 man in cm with Gerrard abit further forward allowing him to attack more.

I don't think it's as big an issue as has been made out, being able to play Gerrard, Carroll and Suarez against teams who play 5 in midfield.

We didn't exactly play an orthodox 4-4-2 on Tuesday night, as Henderson was appearing in a lot more positions than just right wing.

It leaves you slightly lopsided and leaves the right back a bit more exposed but I think with Carroll up front, Suarez peeling off in all directions (that boy's movement is fantastic by the way) and either Downing or Bellamy providing width and pace on one side (normally the left) then I think a narrower 3 made up of any from Gerrard, Lucas, Spearing, Adam, Henderson or Kuyt would mean Gerrard would have freedom to roam but also we would still have the numbers in the middle.