You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso.

Code

From last summer:

Xabi Alonso misses Liverpool and targets Anfield return | Mail Online

Xabi Alonso has admitted he misses Liverpool and has refused to rule out the prospect of returning to Anfield before the end of his career.

The Spain World Cup winner remains a firm favourite with the Kop two years after leaving Merseyside to join La Liga giants Real Madrid.

And the 29-year-old told Liverpool's in-house TV station LFC TV that he would jump at the chance to return to the Reds one day, revealing that he will always hold the Barclays Premier League club close to his heart.

'I think that in football so many things change,' said Alonso.

'I have my red passion and if circumstances arrived then why not?

'At the moment I don't know what is going to happen, but it could be a possibility. Never say never.'

Beating Barcelona to honours next year is at the top of Alonso's agenda but he conceded that he misses life at Liverpool.

He said: 'I miss lots of things. I miss the lads, I miss the atmosphere at Melwood - it was a great place to work, and the scenario of Anfield is unbeatable.

'The special nights I have been privileged enough to live, those will be in my memory forever and they are difficult to compare anywhere in the world.

'Stevie (Gerrard) and Carra (Jamie Carragher) are very good friends. They were good team-mates because from the first day I felt I got on with them well.

'The importance they had in the changing room, it was very important for me to have a good relationship with them.

'Being from Liverpool, knowing how things were at that moment and winning the Champions League in the first year made the relationship stronger. That is why they are still very good friends.'

I'm holding on to this dream. It would be even better than the return of Fowler and I fucking love Robbie Fowler.

I hope he is thinking to himself he has achieved everything in the game internationally and domestically and he just wants to be happy and enjoy his football in the fnial years of his career. Does he want to do that surrounded by egotistical spoilt brat wankers like Ronaldo? Every single set piece taken by this wanker who must have the lowest conversion rate of all time.

Or does he want to come back to the club where he has got lots of mates and the fans loved him as much as the local hero? He was the man here for 5 years and could fit into any system you wanted to put him in. If he came back it would actually make me want to start going the game again. Just to witness the beard if anything.

Xabi always follows the money so he'll go to Anzhi Makhachkala.

Only kidding. He's a good lad and would be great to have him back at some point. Wonderful signing by Rafa at the time for £10m or whatever it was. Shame they fell out.

Great. Another slow 30 something on massive wages we'll be looking to shift in a year or two.

Unflushable turd.

What you get with Alonso is clinical, razor sharp passing and his ability to read the game far quicker than most players. He is a very intelligent player and speed has never been part of his game...but then you would know all that because you have seen him play, right?

What a stupid question.

Why is it a daft question?

I'm not saying Xabi Alonso is disingenuous but I'd rather take a sceptical stance. Arsed if lelevating modern day millionaire footballers (local lads being the exception) to hero status. Remember Torres and the bullshit he came out with in that LFTV interview? Once bitten, twice shy.

We can forget all about Alonso returning. We are no longer willing to pay big wages. I suspect this is what is also at the heart of the Agger situation - Rodgers is instilling his new plan, which is "cheap unknowns / up-and-comings, with the Rodgers-way-of-play." Except for Gerrard of course. Oh, and Luis probably just got a huge pay rise on the new contract - after all, SOMEONE's gotta score the goals, and goals don't come cheap.

Agger may be too expensive; we only got a small fee for Aquilani, so the transfer kitty is in the red suddenly, and by selling Agger, we balance the kitty and reduce the wage bill, giving Carra his old job back for his last season.

Ergo, NO CHANCE for Alonso, forget it. All the gossip around him not resigning for Madrid, is simply posturing on behalf of his agent I would think.

This is a funny thread to read. Also looking on twitter you see the same comments. To an awful lot of people it would like getting a go on Jessica Ennis’s arse for Alonso to come back here, they are so excited. So many posts and tweets I read are saying “No chance of it happening, but…”, and “It’ll never ever happen, but wouldn’t it be great”. This is all coming from the stance of daring not to dream.

As someone who doesn’t suffer the lovelorn infatuation with Alonso that many others do, I think I can actually stand back and assess these rumours from a fairly impartial position, and to me it seems the most obvious thing in the world that he’ll come back here. He had his move, won a league title, and has made a lot of money as well, so I doubt now that huge contracts compared to the still pretty huge contract he’d get here (relatively) would make a difference. He also still clearly has affection for us, so it seems a fairly obvious thing to happen. The only things that might stop it, or be an issue could be….

- The fee Real Madrid would want for him next summer. It’d probably still be in the region of £15m with a year left on his contract and I just don’t see our owners paying that for a 31/32 year old.

- He might want to go back to Real Sociedad and finish his career where it started.

- Never go back. He’d sign under a fanfare, and the many Liverpool fans who think he’s better then Jesus would be in for a shock when he didn’t automatically turn us into League Champions.

- It could all of course just be bluster from his agent for more money on his last big contract.

Of course he’d undoubtedly improve us though, so I’d be all for it as we push for a CL spot in the 2013-14 season.

If this report is true, then it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if we were to see him back here next season.

• Downvote 1

This is a funny thread to read. Also looking on twitter you see the same comments. To an awful lot of people it would like getting a go on Jessica Ennis’s arse for Alonso to come back here, they are so excited. So many posts and tweets I read are saying “No chance of it happening, but…”, and “It’ll never ever happen, but wouldn’t it be great”. This is all coming from the stance of daring not to dream.

As someone who doesn’t suffer the lovelorn infatuation with Alonso that many others do, I think I can actually stand back and assess these rumours from a fairly impartial position, and to me it seems the most obvious thing in the world that he’ll come back here. He had his move, won a league title, and has made a lot of money as well, so I doubt now that huge contracts compared to the still pretty huge contract he’d get here (relatively) would make a difference. He also still clearly has affection for us, so it seems a fairly obvious thing to happen. The only things that might stop it, or be an issue could be….

- The fee Real Madrid would want for him next summer. It’d probably still be in the region of £15m with a year left on his contract and I just don’t see our owners paying that for a 31/32 year old.

- He might want to go back to Real Sociedad and finish his career where it started.

- Never go back. He’d sign under a fanfare, and the many Liverpool fans who think he’s better then Jesus would be in for a shock when he didn’t automatically turn us into League Champions.

- It could all of course just be bluster from his agent for more money on his last big contract.

Of course he’d undoubtedly improve us though, so I’d be all for it as we push for a CL spot in the 2013-14 season.

If this report is true, then it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if we were to see him back here next season.

I'll agree with that.

I'd be surprised if Alonso wants to end his career with us, but if he did then I'd love to think that it's a long-term move perhaps even beyond his playing days.

Anyway, this club needs to move on, certainly for this season. Lucas, Allen, Gerrard and Sahin could be running the best midfield in the world gang close.

Why is it a daft question?

I'm not saying Xabi Alonso is disingenuous but I'd rather take a sceptical stance. Arsed if lelevating modern day millionaire footballers (local lads being the exception) to hero status. Remember Torres and the bullshit he came out with in that LFTV interview? Once bitten, twice shy.

Well I guess we'll just have to wait and see now won't we?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

I have always campaigned for Xabi Alonso as a future manager for us.

He’s doing excellent at Leverkusen, tonight they just best Bayern M 2-1.

They were 17th when he took charge the 5th of October, now they are up to 8th and n the fight for Europe.

In the 17 games he’s been in charge they are 4th, with only 6 points less than Dortmund who is on top the same period. 

They should be favourites in their quarter final in the Europa League as well. 

Great stuff. 

2B6D7D73-DB5C-4987-9423-C4320F8D9349.jpeg

22BC62C7-7EDF-4EDC-8C69-9C1511D26F06.jpeg

D0DA38F2-3534-41DB-80C1-A5B73DA9F1C8.jpeg

• Upvote 2