Quantcast
Liverpool 3 Everton 0 - Prem (Mar 13 2012) - 1st team 2011-2012 - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TLW

Liverpool 3 Everton 0 - Prem (Mar 13 2012)

LIVERPOOL 3 Everton 0

Report by Dave Usher at Anfield

dave.jpg

evertonreport2.jpg

Scorer(s) – Steven Gerrard (3)

Half Time - 1-0

Venue - Anfield

Date - Tue 13 Mar 2012

Star Man – Steven Gerrard

This was going to be their moment. Unbeaten in nine games whilst we'd won just one league game in 2012, they'd chipped away at our lead and found themselves in a position where victory at Anfield would see them leapfrog us in the table. What better way for David Moyes to celebrate his ten year anniversary than with his first victory at Anfield? They genuinely fancied their chances, and why shouldn't they? Thankfully, and fittingly, Steven Gerrard bitch slapped them back to reality and hopefully they won't get this close to us again for a long time.

I'm buzzing off this, it was fucking boss. Seeing all the TLW lads after the game too, they were the same, far more so than usual. I think it was because most of us went into this game fearing the worst, I certainly did. I've had a bad feeling about it ever since the final whistle went at the Stadium of Light. We'd been abysmal at Sunderland and went into this on the back of three straight defeats in the league, whilst Everton had beaten City, Chelsea and Spurs in recent weeks. There seemed a very realistic chance they would end the evening sitting above us in the table, and I don't mind admitting I had a very bad feeling about this game.

Turns out I was worried over nothing, it was extremely comfortable and we ran out comfortable winners. It could and should have been even more convincing, but I'm not greedy, I'll take the 3-0. I'm absolutely made up for Gerrard, this will have meant a hell of a lot to him. I wouldn't say he owed us one after missing the Arsenal game due to his England exploits (he's built up enough credit down the years that he certainly doesn't 'owe' us anything), but he will have been desperate to do well as it's been far too long since he made the blues pay for the distasteful chants they subject him to every derby game.

He's lived the Kopite dream, scoring goals for the reds in cup finals and lifting trophies as skipper. Now he's scored a derby hat-trick, with the third goal coming in front of the Kop. The celebration was class, sucking his thumb and then pointing to himself and saying 'mine'. The message was clear, 'the baby is mine you fucking meffs'. It was almost as much of a 'fuck you' to the Evertonians as the hat-trick itself. Almost, but not quite.

This is another nice memory for him to add to the vast collection. Hopefully there's plenty more to come, on this form it seems likely. He was brilliant, it was a remarkable performance really given that he was playing centre mid in a 442. We came to expect this kind of rampaging display when he was playing off Torres in the 4231, but it's rare you see a central midfielder do what Gerrard did in this game.

He scored three and it would have been four but for a great save by Howard early on. His touch as he collected Suarez's pass was unreal, no other player on the pitch could have done that. It was a stunning piece of skill and took unbelievable technique to pull off. He couldn't get much power on his shot as the ball was under his feet a little, but it was going in the bottom corner and Howard did well to keep it out. Henderson looked certain to bury the rebound but Rodwell came from nowhere to make a fantastic block.

Howard made another good save shortly after when Suarez ran onto Carroll's flick but his snapshot was a nice height for the keeper to parry it. The link up between Carroll and Suarez is improving all the time. Carroll is winning pretty much everything in the air and Suarez is now running off him and getting onto the flicks. It's coming along nicely and the partnership is definitely beginning to click. They play a lot closer to eachother now and Suarez knows what he needs to do when Carroll challenges for the ball.

I watched them hug just before kick off and Carroll was animatedly talking and gesturing to Suarez about what they needed to do. There have been encouraging signs from those two since Suarez returned from his ban, which makes it all the more infuriating that Carroll has been on the bench for the last three league games. I appreciate it can be difficult pairing them against good sides who pack the midfield, it's just frustrating to see Carroll on the bench when he's hit some form. The way Everton set up played into our hands I thought. They played 442 for the most part (Anichebe spent some time on the left early on but they changed it pretty quickly and moved him up front) and that is why Gerrard was able to get forward as much as he did.

He and Spearing were both fantastic, but had they been up against an extra man in there it would have definitely restricted the skipper. I don't think there'll be too many sides play as open against us as Everton did, and that's the problem we face. Clearly we need Gerrard on the field with Carroll and Suarez. This is the first time it's happened in the league, which is incredible. Find a way to get them on the field and wreak havoc, we've got nothing to lose now.

The blues only real chance of the 1st half came when Henderson dawdled on the ball and was robbed. They had a four v three break but Pienaar's pass was cut out by the once again hugely impressive Skrtel. Henderson struggled badly in the first half, not much went right for him at all and he was the only player in red not at the races. Everyone else was right at it and it was a good half of football, but there was a lot of groaning coming from the stands directed towards Henderson. Having watched a replay of the entire game I'd concede that Henderson wasn't as terrible as I thought at the time but he was clearly the weakest link. He did play some nice passes and was involved in two of the goals, so it was far from all bad.

The blues looked to have weathered our early storm and were actually having their best spell of the game when we took the lead. It was a great goal too, it started in our own box when Enrique did well to make an interception and play the ball up to Suarez. He laid it off first time to Downing who carried it forward before giving it back to Suarez who played an instant ball to Henderson and then collected the return pass. Kelly had gone steaming forward and Suarez tried to pick him out but the ball brushed Gerrard's knee on the way through. Kelly still got there and shot straight at Howard, and his follow up was also blocked by the keeper. The loose ball fell to Gerrard on the edge of the box, and he curled the ball over Howard and the covering defenders into the net.

Kelly was inches away from making it 2-0 when he powered onto a cute pass from Henderson and drilled a shot across Howard but just past the far post. Kelly was awesome, especially in the first half, his best performance of the season by some distance. He was in beast mode and was just bullying people, fantastic to see.

Gerrard grabbed his second not long after the break. Kelly won the ball, Henderson released Suarez and he megged Distin in the box before stepping aside as Gerrard came in to leather the ball past Howard into the roof of the Kop net. Kelly went close again when he just failed to get a touch onto Downing's brilliant cross, and Gerrard was almost sent clear by Suarez but Distin got over to cover. That move started with a raking 60 yard pass by Carroll to Downing. The big man was turning on the style now, and more great play from him sent Suarez clean through seconds later. The finish was horrible though, as Luis tried to take the shot early with the outside of his right boot. Great stuff by Carroll though.

Everton had actually responded pretty well to going two down, they knocked the ball around quite well without ever really threatening Reina. Baines and Fellaini were prominent, but the lack of a decent striker was glaringly obvious. Anichebe is shit, always has been always will be. He's big and strong and can pose problems based on that, but he's shite. As for the big Argie goon alongside him, I've said it before but he's basically an Argentine Shefki Kuqi. Everton have as much trouble scoring goals as we do, and it was asking a lot for them to come back from 2-0 down. Still, I couldn't relax until around the 88 minute mark when I figured there was no way they would score twice.

I'd been pretty nervous despite how comfortable we were looking, I'm not exactly sure why but I guess it's because we've been kicked in the teeth so many times this season I was half expecting it to happen again. The closest they came was a Rodwell shot that Enrique cleared off the line, and another Rodwell shot that went well wide. How over-rated is he by the way?

I thought we were superb for most of the game. So many great performances all over the park. The back four were all terrific, Spearing did his job to perfection and allowed Gerrard to bomb forward at will, whilst the front two dovetailed nicely and gave the blues more than they could handle. There was a hilarious moment involving Suarez and Baines right by where I sit. They clashed at a throw in, and it looked like Baines had a little kick out at Suarez who wasn't happy. Suarez then collected the ball and megged Baines. It came to nothing, but Suarez wanted to let Baines know about it and was shouting 'Hey!' 'Hey!' trying to get his attention. The full back wouldn't turn around and look at him, he knew.

Baines pissed me right off just after that when play was stopped due to an injury to Pienaar. When the ref blew up, we actually had a two against one on our right flank with Kuyt and Kelly. That was annoying, but for Baines to then knock the ball out for a throw in our half, a throw which they pressured to try and win the ball back, that wasn't cool. Just give it back to the keeper like everyone else would, you fucking hobbit.

Gerrard's hat-trick just topped off a great night. Drenthe fell over and presented him with possession. He carried it forward, played it to Suarez and then took the return pass and put a left foot shot into the roof of the net. Great credit to Suarez, a lot of strikers in that situation would have just gone themselves, after all the game was virtually over and our forwards have found goals hard to come by. To set up the skipper for his hat-trick showed what a great team-mate he is.

Other observations. I have to say, Phil Dowd was outstanding once again, with the only blemish being the bizarre booking of Enrique late on. What was that for? For upsetting Hibbert and causing him to spit his dummy and petulantly kick the ball at him (and predictably miss the target!)? Leighton Baines is really good and should be playing for a better side than the blues. Royston Drenthe is basically just a blag Balotelli. His cameo was hilarious.

Then there's Fellaini and his fucking elbows. Spearing caught one in the first half after dispossessing him, Carroll took a right then a left in the space of about half a second after the break, it's ridiculous. He's good at making it look accidental though, you have to give him that. Tim Howard can fuck off as well. Applauded by the Kop at the start of the second half, he didn't even have the good grace to acknowledge it.

Star man is Gerrard, how can it not be? So many others deserve credit too though, there were some top class performances from the men in red. Gerrard singled out Suarez and Spearing afterwards, I'd add Kelly and Carroll to that too, and Enrique was up there as well.

We needed a performance after three straight defeats, and it sets us up nicely for the FA Cup game with Stoke at the weekend. The last time we faced Stoke we went with Kuyt as a lone striker. Predictably, it ended 0-0. Hopefully we'll see a much more positive line up and result this time.

Team: Reina; Kelly, Skrtel, Carragher, Enrique; Henderson (Kuyt), Spearing, Gerrard, Downing; Carroll, Suarez:

Agree with Dave 100%.

Dowd is looking the best ref in the Prem these days (yeah I know..). I particularly liked his "refereeing adjustment" when he gave us a free kick for nothing to give us the ball after Baines kicked it out for a throw-in after the Pienar injury.

Agree 100 %. Sitting in the main stand eating a bag of chips last night and was wondering which Liverpool would turn up.This season has been very Jekyl and Hyde,Sunderland very much Mr Hyde.Jordan still like many I just don't know how he is going to fit in he is no way a right hand side midfielder ,he was ok last night but a weak link on the right. 3 points the game is over move on and hope a another good performance on Sunday against Stoke.

Guest davelfc
Baines pissed me right off just after that when play was stopped due to an injury to Pienaar. When the ref blew up, we actually had a two against one on our right flank with Kuyt and Kelly. That was annoying, but for Baines to then knock the ball out for a throw in our half, a throw which they pressured to try and win the ball back, that wasn't cool. Just give it back to the keeper like everyone else would, you fucking hobbit.

That made me really angry, I doubt I've seen such poor gamesmanship from a team ever! They all pressured so are all to blame. Sums the twats up really.

I reckon the first goal was the best bit of skill all night. Literally any other player on the pitch would have lashed at that especially being on the their wrong foot. It was great to see Gerrard put in a performance like this from a midfield two. 442 is the way forward for me. Get Johnson on the right wing with Kelly behind him unless we sign a good right winger and get the side playing the same football we seen last night. It's not going to happen but if Gerrard was to fuck the Euros off and get a good pre season in I think we would go into next season flying.

Phil Dowd is easily the best ref in the league. I can't remember a game where he is reffed badly this season.

The Enrique booking was a disgrace, but sums up another very questionable "assistant referee" performance from a lino at Anfield. How on earth Hibbert can be allowed to stay on the pitch for kicking the ball at a player? I've no idea. Presumably kicking a ball at a player is only a bit naughty because you're shite and you missed? Enrique did absolutely nothing wrong. At all.

Anyone know what the smoke was in the middle of the Annie Road end?

Oh and how shite is "Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic"? I think my great great great great grandfather pissed himself laughing at the shiteness of that chant when he first started nursery school. Loved "Ten years and you've won fuck all".

Annoying thing about Fellatio is that I'm pretty sure I'd be made up if he was playing for us. I know he can be a nasty bastard but he's a nasty bastard who can play football.

Thanks for the report Dave. Fridge magnet in the post yah?

Star man could have been any one of Kelly Enrique Spearing Suarez or Carroll

Stevie deserves all the plaudits though , celebration about his baby was top class

All in all it was the perfect night , roll on Sunday

Thanks for another great match report dave

Great report about a top game!

I was sitting by the "barrier" next to the Evertonians, and took the abuse of a lifetime.

It supprised me they found it more interessting pointing their fingers at ten year old kids attending the game allongside their mothers doing "cut-throath" gestures, rather than following the match.

Mersyside police dug in to them with determination.

Bitternes rapidly turned into rage.

When watching the highlights back last night, I particually liked the way just after the ball went out, the camera cut to Dalglish just as he screamed "Leighton you little cunt!"

Guest davelfc

Oh and how shite is "Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic"?

I smiled when I heard that, mainly because it reminded me of Emlyn Hughes, who was my favourite player until Kenny arrived.

Sign in to follow this