You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny's future

Nathanzx

Kenny's future  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Kenny's future

• I want KK to continue as manager and to be given cash to spend as he pleases
    • I want KK to continue as manager but DC to have more input on how the cash is spent
    • I would give Kenny one more season to achieve CL, if not he can go
    • I would let Kenny stay on as manager as long as he likes regardless of results
    • I would move him upstairs at the end of the season and get a new coach in to start a new project
    • I would sack him immediately, we have to be ruthless and stop living in the past

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree but I think that is also down to the players at our disposal more so than a tactical mindset. Maxi when he starts gets into the box. Meireles used to do the same. Henderson isn't going to give us that late run right now. Adam has stopped doing it on a semi-regular basis since Lucas has gone out and bar the Newcastle goal, I can't remember Gerrard pushing himself to do it yet since he's been back.

All this pseudo analysis of a steaming pile of shit.

We have at least half a team that isnt good enough to pllay for this club.

And you try to theorize over Adams "semi regular basis" when he cant even run after 60 minutes.

Utter navel gazing crap.

Sorry.

It can go two ways to be honest.

Kenny could get us back to playing the good football at the end of last season with a change of personal in the summer and tactics or he'll persist with the current style of play and buy even more shite and have another shite season.

He deserves another season though.

He deserves another season though.

Yep

Yet again its another huge summer ahead for the club though. It's sink or swim time. Get it wrong & the club will sink into the abyss for years. Get it right & we are back in business. Maybe not yet challenging for the title but CL football is in the modern day era a necessity to progress as a team in the future and the challenge for the title in the following years.

It was discussed yesterday on the train back, but what influence has Comoli had on transfers?

As much as I like Henderson, and think he is a good player I do not see him ever being anything more than central midfielder helping out on the right and considering we needed a right midfielder why did we buy him? Or more to the point, why did we buy him and Adam, when one would have done.

Is Comoli in charge of transfers, which means he, rather than Kenny should be scrutinised for those players bought.

It was discussed yesterday on the train back, but what influence has Comoli had on transfers?

As much as I like Henderson, and think he is a good player I do not see him ever being anything more than central midfielder helping out on the right and considering we needed a right midfielder why did we buy him? Or more to the point, why did we buy him and Adam, when one would have done.

Is Comoli in charge of transfers, which means he, rather than Kenny should be scrutinised for those players bought.

Spot on that. I noticed a post on RAWK before;

From Kenny Dalglish 'my liverpool home'.

p317. Damien had Luis Suarez on the go before I returned, but he still wanted to know if I was onside with the deal.

"You won't get any resistance from me on Suarez, Damien!"

Suarez's impact was testament to the unbelievable amount of work Damien does on Liverpool's behalf. He oversees scouting, handles the negotiations, has regular conversations with Tom and John about finances. It is a huge role. Some people might have thought I would be a wee bit old school, not liking the idea of working with a director of football, but I've never had a problemm with it. It's straightforward - if I don't want a player to be here, he won't be. I get on with Damien. I don't know what he was like before, but he's been as good as gold with me.

He also says (p318)

The day before the January transfer window closed, Damien said: "What about Andy Carroll?"

"Can you get him?"

Somehow, Damien did manage to get Carroll out of Newcastle United. He did brilliantly to pull off such a deal with time running out.

So for any analysis of our transfer dealings they both have to held accountable.

Its difficult trying to assess Kenny's reign without any bias such is the status of the man but i've tried to be neutral and summarise some of the main points as they appear to me.

Positives:

Sorted the Defence out and we no longer concede anything like the amount we did.

Introduced a new possession game which is what i've been brought up on and like to see.

Improved points return away from home and we are a threat now on our travels.

Doesn't rotate unecessarily and "sacrifice" games.

In touch with the fans and robustly defends the club in the media.

Negatives:

Can't seem to change a game as he sees it unfold before him - no Plan B. Shows in our home form, park the bus as an away side and you get a point.

Too slow with the substitutions, summed up against arsenal at home when he brought carroll on in injury time and bellamy with 2 minutes to go.

Transfer dealings open to question. Henderson was his top target and he had an overrated opinion of Carroll.

Goal return simply isn't good enough.

Form since turn of the year has been shocking. We've taken less points than Blackburn and are sliding down the table which is a slight worry.

Above all i've enjoyed going to the match again since Kenny came back (but it could be a lot of that is due to the new ownership rather than manager) and I have genuinely enjoyed the style of play he has introduced. I'm not sure how much blame can be placed on Kenny for the profligacy in front of goal and you cant help but feel had we got a real talisman in then we'd be a lot higher in the table.

On balance I think he's done enough to earn another year and I think he'll get it provided he addresses the slump in form. Notable that we have picked up far fewer points per game since the Lucas injury and I think that has been critical to our seasons fortunes but that doesnt mitigate everything he could do better.

I think Kenny will have learnt a lot this season. About his new squad, what level we are at and there have been many lessons for him this year not least at home. I'm confident he can take us on to better things next year. The poor seasons arsenal and chelsea have had has made it feel like a missed opportunity but in truth, had they performed (which I appreciate is irrelevant) I think we would all be saying this current squad isnt good enough for top 4 in any event.

My view on the transfers is that;

Suarez, Enrique and Bellamy have been successful.

Adam, Caroll and Downing have not been successful.

Coates and Henderson, have been bought for the future and therefore judgement has to be reserved.

Which means 50/50, which is by no means out of kilter with mor or less every other manager out there.

Coates and Henderson, have been bought for the future and therefore judgement has to be reserved.

Which means 50/50, which is by no means out of kilter with mor or less every other manager out there.

These players cost £83m.

I would love for you to show me an example, aside for Chelsea's last summer, where a club has wasted that much money in one summer.

There is no way Henderson has been signed for the future. He's played every game this season virtually even when Lucas and Gerrard are fit he plays. But I agree he can offer something for the future

But it is miles out of kilter when you look at the flops and future signings being worth over £80m and the good signings being worth about £28m.

Carroll was a gamble and now that it can be reviewed then someone should lose their job for that. I'm not saying Dalglish but that transfer needs to be reviewed and whoever pulled the trigger should never be allowed to make a decision like that ever again. Downing and Adam for over £25m is scandalous as well. Two players who have, are and always will be avaerage.

These players cost £83m.

I would love for you to show me an example, aside for Chelsea's last summer, where a club has wasted that much money in one summer.

There is certainly no question that the money has been wasted, but if you put it in context i.e. £50m for Torres then that has meant that we are not as desperate as it could have been. The fact that the money has come from Toress has mitigated the loss.

However to be fair, a club with lesser means cannot afford to waste a fraction of that money. Say for instance, Swansea had spent £10 million and wasted it, it would have been far more damaging to them. The fact that only three or four clubs can spend that much money and two of them have wasted that much (City and Chelsea) does have to be taken into consideration.

This isn't defending their signings. If Caroll and Downing had of cost us £10 million then they would have still been a failure.

But it is miles out of kilter when you look at the flops and future signings being worth over £80m and the good signings being worth about £28m.

Carroll was a gamble and now that it can be reviewed then someone should lose their job for that. I'm not saying Dalglish but that transfer needs to be reviewed and whoever pulled the trigger should never be allowed to make a decision like that ever again. Downing and Adam for over £25m is scandalous as well. Two players who have, are and always will be avaerage.

As I say to me, a flop is a flop regardless of the cost. But I agree that seems to be a big fuck up, particularly as it has influenced our buying in the summer also.

I am concerned that Downing was, we are led to believe, bought to get the best out of Caroll, who doesn't play! Therefore there doesn't seem to be any logic to buying those players.

The only caveat I would add is that I think Mata has proved he is not what we wanted/needed either. He can't play out on the left.

We couldn't keep Torres, though. Waiting until the summer to sign a striker would have been even more disastrous. When we did get to the summer, we didn't sign a striker (with the exception of Bellamy who now has 6 goals). So I'm not sure you can blame Kenny or Comolli for Torres leaving when he did, Andy Carroll costing 35MM or the availability of the '20-30MM' striker in a summer transfer window.

I do agree with the idea that we maintain stability and not start experimenting with the manager revolving door policy. Not now.

I wasnt suggesting we kept Torres until the summer. I was more wondering why we spunked £35m on a striker who had probably played no more than 15-20 Premier League games. He had a good start to the season much like Zaki did a few years ago, before falling off the face of the earth. Plus he was injured when we bought him.

At the time I thought we had money to spend so was just happy to see us make a statement. Now I think we will be spending the usual £20m per season like we always have and therefore shouldnt have been so hasty. We could have got Crouch back for no more than £10m had we tried.

Looking through the pane of reality (and not fantasy), the one fact fact that looms over Kenny is that he was not the owner's choice. He was the fan's choice.

This is quite obvious. Delaying his appointment after months of fan pressure. Giving him only a two year contract. Appointing Comolli at the same time to oversee things.

A bit of bird shit on that pane of reality. Comolli was already in his job when Kenny arrived.

What makes you think that Guardiola or Mourinho would come? It is part of the same flawed thought process that deems that Kenny is “not good enough” (for what?).

Guardiola and Mourinho (and Baconface) are the only managers CLEARLY on a level above the King. I doubt even KK superfans would dispute that. If they're available for whatever reason, it'd be madness not to pursue them.

I don't want him sacked at the moment, but I do want him to show improvement toward the end of the season to earn another season in charge. We have been in relegation form since January. That's 2 and a half months in the league of being one of the 3 worst sides there. How long before it isn't classed as "just a blip" and is looked at a bit more seriously?

If we carry on in this form towards the end of the season, then yes, I will want him to go, because finishing anywhere below 7th would be unacceptable for any manager who has had so much financial backing from the owners.

I don't want him sacked at the moment, but I do want him to show improvement toward the end of the season to earn another season in charge. We have been in relegation form since January. That's 2 and a half months in the league of being one of the 3 worst sides there. How long before it isn't classed as "just a blip" and is looked at a bit more seriously?

If we carry on in this form towards the end of the season, then yes, I will want him to go, because finishing anywhere below 7th would be unacceptable for any manager who has had so much financial backing from the owners.

For me, cutting all the bullshit, all the superfan vs negative wanker nonsense aside.

Its as simple as this.

Sacking a manager after 1 full season is not the way to go. Especially not when its Kenny we're talking about.

He needs...actually fuck needs. He deserves another season.

But there has to be improvement next year. No if ors buts about it.

We simply have to. And if it doesn't happen well I really don't want to think about that scenario. I just seriously fucking don't want to.

Definitely want him to stay for another season. The way I see it is that last summer was Kenny making the squad his, so he had to clear out all the players he didn't want and then bring in his own. Next season if he stays will then be his chance to work on his squad after a year of managing it and use his knowledge and experience to improve on what's his.

Then he's had 2 seasons, 1 making the squad his own, 1 improving his squad with whatever money he has at his disposal without having to mess around offloading so many players.

Then if it still goes wrong, yeah you're talking about looking at other managers, but think he deserves another season.

Guardiola and Mourinho (and Baconface) are the only managers CLEARLY on a level above the King. I doubt even KK superfans would dispute that. If they're available for whatever reason, it'd be madness not to pursue them.

The day we sack Dalglish and employ Mourinho is the day I stop supporting this club.

Dalglish is one of only three managers in the league to have won the Premiership and also built arguably the most exciting Liverpool team of all time. If that doesn't buy a man time, then we may as well fucking give up. RobbieOr is 100% correct about Hodgson comparisons, Hodgson was disliked mainly for what happened off the pitch rather than on it, his embarrassing deference to 'sir alex' and describing a win over Bolton as a 'famous victory'.

All Dalglish is arsed about is you and me, everything else comes second to him, all Hodgson was arsed about was his reputation, and he would externalise blame and try and limit expectations to lay the foundations for his inevitable failure. He's a coward, Dalglish is anything but - anyone who's been through what he's been through, and returned to take a high profile job when he was having an enjoyable retirement purely out of love for a club, is a brave man and deserving of respect.

or 7.) which gets my vote. Allow KK to continue on in his CONTRACT, SEE HIS CONTRACT OUT, with all the rights and privileges of said contract in place.

KK knew what he was getting into, and knew it would take time. FFS it's his first complete season.