You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Charities are becoming annoying cunts.

Magic Sponge

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's the whole notion that being asked to donate money is somehow akin to mugging.

It isn't. 

Can't speak for the UK, but it is in this country. Had some cunt walk up my driveway waving a direct debit form at me a couple of years back. He soon left.

The notion of somebody bounding up to me in the street trying to get me to agree to monthly direct debits (for which they receive a commission) donating to a charity that they're getting paid to pretend to care about doesn't sit right with me. 

2 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Can't speak for the UK, but it is in this country. Had some cunt walk up my driveway waving a direct debit form at me a couple of years back. He soon left.

The notion of somebody bounding up to me in the street trying to get me to agree to monthly direct debits (for which they receive a commission) donating to a charity that they're getting paid to pretend to care about doesn't sit right with me. 

Over here you just get skint students being driven from town to godawful town to stand out in the pissing rain for hours with forced smiles and a desperate cheeriness while strangers file past telling them to fuck off, all for less than the minimum wage. 

It's not a great living. 

• Upvote 1

Fuck them off a while back. Used to give to cancer reseat H each month. While I was sick my mum had to get a grip on my DD and cut off non essentials. She phoned them and asked them to stop it, they said no only I could stop it. She told them I would be in hospital for over 6 months and couldn't afford it, the cunt actually told her 'we need the money'. It was cancelled and will I fuck ever give to them again. My brother had to work in one of the call centres while studying, he hated it. Pretty much pressure and more pressure on the old and vulnerable to continue or up the amount

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Over here you just get skint students being driven from town to godawful town to stand out in the pissing rain for hours with forced smiles and a desperate cheeriness while strangers file past telling them to fuck off, all for less than the minimum wage. 

It's not a great living. 

Are there really so few options that they have no choice but to do this?

7 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's not a great living. 

Nah I'm not having that they're some sort of slave labour force. Plenty of jobs out there that don't attract these types of CBBC wannabes. 

I don't think I've ever heard anyone be directly rude to one, but encounter plenty of ruse behaviour from them myself. Walking out of your way to avoid someone (again) with your head down and doing pretty much everything you can to avoid being mithered but then getting shouted at to attract attention from 20ft away is something I've encountered almost daily in town centres.

I've done loads of shit jobs, loads, warehouse work late at night, bar work back in the days I had to clear fag ends out of ashtrays with my fingers at the end of the night, I never felt any particular need to dress up like Lionel Blair's lovechild and repeatedly shout 'One quick question!' At people who were going about their business, and then again on their way back, and then again. 

Between me and the Mrs we give money to four charities.  We chose them ourselves for our own reasons, I don't see the need for charities to employ what are basically sales people employing sales tactics to go at people who quite possibly are skint themselves.

"You look smart today!"

Fuck off.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's the whole notion that being asked to donate money is somehow akin to mugging.

It isn't. 

Being asked to donate money, by someone who is employed by an agency and fails to tell you that in your 10 quid

monthly subscription, the charity will receive fuck all until maybe month 8 is.  Over here they hang around outside hospitals doing it, the amount of times I’ve nearly lost my shit with them, only for the fact that really it’s not the stupid twat with the clipboards fault it’s some other horrible cunt further up the ladder, these are just low level street dealers.

that charities are needed in the modern world says a lot about society, but that people can setup agencies and profit from them in ways such as this legally says an awful lot more.

i don’t blame the charities, if your competitors are going to do it what options do you have? But i’ll Never donate via this method. I’ve been out rattling the can, never got paid for it, it shouldn’t be someone’s job, I can see higher level administrative and executive roles can need a salary, but even some of them are taking the piss. If yer involved in a charity the primary reason should be for what you are giving to it not what you can get from it.

• Upvote 2

We had the NSPCC collect round here last year and they were more pushy than some of the cunts out of the Wolf of Wall Street. I tried to be polite but this lad was persistent, guilt tripping me into handing over money, waving a direct debit form at me then shouting down the street to his boss to "prove" they were legit. My kids had just gone to bed and I didn't want some loudmouth Apprentice wannabee screeching at me so in the end I just closed the door on him while he was halfway through his spiel. He was still shouting it at the window for a few minutes before he fucked off. 

I gave a fiv3r a month out of my wages to cancer research for 17 years then I get a phone call out the blue off them saying it's not enough and they wanted  £25 a month. Despite my wages hardly going up in the last couple of years they weren't interested and just point blank demanded the cash. Hung up then cancelled my direct debit the next day.  

The cunts at Lime Street are unbearable, they literally get in your way as soon as you walk through the barriers.

• Upvote 1

I had one at my door a while back, answered the door and at first he was bouncing around like someone who'd necked 3 pills on a night out, acting like he was my best mate, shaking my hand, calling me by my first name, etc and then he abruptly switches to "sad mode" and starts trying to hit me with this video about some blind kid. Ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

I gave a fiv3r a month out of my wages to cancer research for 17 years then I get a phone call out the blue off them saying it's not enough and they wanted  £25 a month. Despite my wages hardly going up in the last couple of years they weren't interested and just point blank demanded the cash. Hung up then cancelled my direct debit the next day.  

The cunts at Lime Street are unbearable, they literally get in your way as soon as you walk through the barriers.

Had a similar experience with Greenpeace. Rang me and asked me to double what I have. Made them cancel it 

• Upvote 1

The hyperactive ones who knock on your door in the middle of tea and try to get you to sign up to a direct debit on your doorstep are ridiculous.

'Oh, you've got a laminated badge and a sob story. No website where I can read about your charity and sign up at my leisure after making an informed decision? No problem, if you can stop bouncing around, calling me mate and pretending that we've bonded because you like my dog I'll give you my bank details.'

• Upvote 1

Some very valid gripes here , but the one that worries me most is the phone bullying and shaming of mainly elderly people. Was in a job a year or two back where I ended up speaking to an elderly lady who had 12 separate charity dd’s and said she had taken the phone out of the wall on occasions as her name was obviously being passed around.

Managed to sort most of the dds out and got her registered for TPS , but this must be happening a lot I would imagine.

• Upvote 3

I remember as a kid standing in Birkenhead on a cold wet Saturday all day collecting for poppy day. A mild shake of the tin and people throwing a few pence in, no forced begging. But we got fuck all for doing it except the knowledge it was for charidee. 

If there's a job where people have to accost you in the street and use charidee to guilt you into paying them a cut then that isn't a job, nor is that charidee. That's a charity using guilt to force the public to throw cash at it. 

Some charities do marvellous work, it's a shame that many exist to exist and looking at their head offices, their pay to their top executives it's not hard to see why they need to exist. Helping their cause seems to be a means of getting tax free cash for that pays for that exclusive London address. And yes I've been to such places so they do exist. 

A friend of mine who gained more medals than Mutley while serving 24 years in the military, got some percentage bonus for each and every time he was posted to a war zone, and he had racked up one hell of a lot of those detachments. Feeling guilty after his most recent one he phoned one of those numbers on the advert for a charity to make a donation. Unfortunately, this seemed to put him on a list, he was bombarded with texts, phone calls and letters. His generous act only seemed to be like blood in the water and his information shared as they all honed in looking for blood. 

Again, I do give to charity and I do know that a lot of charities do excellent work and do not use questionable tactics to gain donations. Until more is done to stop those that use those tactics then the good charities will suffer. 

• Upvote 2

So my father died a couple of weeks ago, we had a McMillan nurse who come to the house who was helpful and we had fantastic support of St Johns Hospice at Home. However, less than one week after my mum recieves a letter from McMillan asking her to include them in her will. Now it might have just been co-incidence but she has not received mail from them before, so pretty sure it nothing more than cynically praying on a woman who had lost her husband 6 months short of 50 years.

I have been appaulled at how some companies including charities have tried to take advantage of her. Others have been amazing and as such will be given very decent donations from our family and continued customer loyalty. I will make sure McMillan recieve a small something; as if you use a charity, benefit from it and can afford to its only fair. However, after that I do not think I be inclined to ever again. The companies in question can fuck right off though.

I have a few charities I’m happy to give to such as the air ambulance and the RNLI, but what puts me off giving to the larger charities is the outrageous salaries they pay their CEO’s. They’re running charities not FTSE companies but some of them think it’s justified to pay a CEO over £400k. Most of them only do it part time as well.

There’s a list of a few here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEO_compensation_among_charities_in_the_United_Kingdom 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, i5x said:

So my father died a couple of weeks ago, we had a McMillan nurse who come to the house who was helpful and we had fantastic support of St Johns Hospice at Home. However, less than one week after my mum recieves a letter from McMillan asking her to include them in her will. Now it might have just been co-incidence but she has not received mail from them before, so pretty sure it nothing more than cynically praying on a woman who had lost her husband 6 months short of 50 years.

I have been appaulled at how some companies including charities have tried to take advantage of her. Others have been amazing and as such will be given very decent donations from our family and continued customer loyalty. I will make sure McMillan recieve a small something; as if you use a charity, benefit from it and can afford to its only fair. However, after that I do not think I be inclined to ever again. The companies in question can fuck right off though.

I think problems like these are partly to do with businesses being allowed to share or sell your details to whoever they choose without your permission.

9 hours ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Them being paid to collect the money by a privately owned employment company is chugging, in my book.

Does it involve violence or threats of violence?  Then it is not really like mugging, is it.

Everyone seems hung up on the fact that these people get paid.  Wait until you all realise that the charity adverts in the papers and on telly are paid for - Minds. Blown.

Haha, I always thought the 'chuggers' name (charity muggers) was more of a tongue in cheek reference to these collectors than a serious criminal accusation. Maybe if more of them adhered to the definition of 'charity' with the emphasis being on the 'voluntary giving' part then maybe people wouldn't call them that.

I'll prefer to call them annoying cunts, which more accurately describes them. 

• Upvote 2