You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

San Fran/Los angeles

WaltonRed

You should definitely call Berkeley, Barkley rather than Burkley if you go there. Seeing as it was named after the Irish-English philosopher Berkeley. Then you can make condescending remarks like "One of America's finest higher education establishments is named after an Englishman and yet you still can't even pronounce his name properly. And they say American's don't understand irony".

You will make great friends!

You should definitely call Berkeley, Barkley rather than Burkley if you go there. Seeing as it was named after the Irish-English philosopher Berkeley. Then you can make condescending remarks like "One of America's finest higher education establishments is named after an Englishman and yet you still can't even pronounce his name properly. And they say American's don't understand irony".

You will make great friends!

hahaha ace

Make sure you go to the Stinking Rose - that's the garlic restaraunt on Columbus and Broadway & order some garlic ice cream. The Fondue is also top top notch. Do the Golden Gate bike ride making sure you take in Golden Gate Park and Presidio as well. ALl this stuff has already been advised I realise but they were my favourite bits.

Also Twin peaks has great free views of the city, to get to it take the BART to Castro, which is the gay area with a dirty great gay flag to help you know where to go. Head towards the massive antenna which is right next to twin peaks.

In Golden Gate park the California Academy of Sciences turns into a nightclub on Thursdays after 6pm. It's quite surreal seeing penguins, jelly fish, tarantuulas etc to the soundtrack of dance music while you sip a rum and ginger but it's pretty awesome for the money at just $12 entrance.

Mission is the Mexican district and has lots of food and interesting artwork/graffiti. The cheesecake factory is another good restaraunt on the top floor of Macy's on Union Square, I had the off-the-menu blackout cheesecake which was a 12 layered chocolate extravaganza of cakey perfection. The main courses were pretty boss too and very large, so eat your main and get your cheesecake selection boxed to take with you. There are China, Japan and Russiatowns I believe though I only went to Chinatown. Sam Wo's is an experience, it's the tiniest shittiest restaraunt you ever saw, some people like the food and the experience, wasn't for me but was cheap to find out.

Are you sorted for somewhere to stay? I can recommend a hostel that has it's own nightclub with free beer on Union Square...

Edited by Remmie

Fly out friday, any last tips?

Been in touch with the San Fran Reds so should be sorted for the semi final too

Last tip would be to go to see the Giants. They play in a beautiful stadium overlooking the bay. And they're recent, ahem, "World Champions".

Dodgers? Fuck that...

Make sure you go to the Stinking Rose - that's the garlic restaraunt on Columbus and Broadway & order some garlic ice cream. The Fondue is also top top notch. Do the Golden Gate bike ride making sure you take in Golden Gate Park and Presidio as well. ALl this stuff has already been advised I realise but they were my favourite bits.

Also Twin peaks has great free views of the city, to get to it take the BART to Castro, which is the gay area with a dirty great gay flag to help you know where to go. Head towards the massive antenna which is right next to twin peaks.

In Golden Gate park the California Academy of Sciences turns into a nightclub on Thursdays after 6pm. It's quite surreal seeing penguins, jelly fish, tarantuulas etc to the soundtrack of dance music while you sip a rum and ginger but it's pretty awesome for the money at just $12 entrance.

Mission is the Mexican district and has lots of food and interesting artwork/graffiti. The cheesecake factory is another good restaraunt on the top floor of Macy's on Union Square, I had the off-the-menu blackout cheesecake which was a 12 layered chocolate extravaganza of cakey perfection. The main courses were pretty boss too and very large, so eat your main and get your cheesecake selection boxed to take with you. There are China, Japan and Russiatowns I believe though I only went to Chinatown. Sam Wo's is an experience, it's the tiniest shittiest restaraunt you ever saw, some people like the food and the experience, wasn't for me but was cheap to find out.

Are you sorted for somewhere to stay? I can recommend a hostel that has it's own nightclub with free beer on Union Square...

staying in my sisters Rem, she lives over there so sorted out. Nice one for the tips!

Last tip would be to go to see the Giants. They play in a beautiful stadium overlooking the bay. And they're recent, ahem, "World Champions".

Dodgers? Fuck that...

Giants were 1st choice but they're not at home whilst we're over there and seems as we're in La I thought we'd go to see them.

Going to visit the Giants ground though just for a look see, same with the 49ers

Happy holidays!

Its really nearly here.

Hope its everything you're hoping it to be. Dont know if I said earlier but my trip to San F/LA was my first experience of America and I was absolutely blown away by it and think it was one of those things that I enjoyed more once I'd got home and had some time to process it all. It was much more 'foreign' than I expecting when I had thought that I would 'recognise' it immediately.

When I went back t America a couple of years ago, to the east coast, I was prepared for all that and maybe for that reason enjoyed it much more at the time.

Waiting to hear what you make of it all

Have a ball

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd weasel in on this thread, Leave for San Fran on September 1st.

Spend three nights in San Fran, watching some shitty band at the filmore on the first night and then doing the Alcatraz night tour the next day. On the last day we're going to go and watch the Giants. Staying by Union square and was reading up about it last night, seems like there's a few shifty characters about? Might leave early to check out Santa Cruz?

Basically need to find somewhere to watch the Arsenal game which kicks off at 8.30am over there. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Also if anybody has any other suggestions to add to the itinerary I'd be grateful.

After that I head to Carmel for a night, gonna stop off at the Aquarium in Monterey

Then spend two nights in Santa Barbara, haven't really sussed out anything to do here? Anybody ever been? Is it just mainly a place to chill out at the beach and perv on bints?

Then drive down to San Diego for two nights. Which is best? Sea world or the Zoo?

Then spend two nights staying on Sunset Boulevard, gonna pay homage to Chris Chambers.

Fly to Vegas for three nights, is it worth forking out for the Beatles show at the mirage? I miss the Chavez/Martinez bout by one night, gutted.

Then Fly to kahului for three nights and then to Honolulu for three nights

This Fred has been a great sauce, I doff my cap to one and all. If anybody has any other suggestions please throw them at me!

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Booking my honeymoon tonight - 3 weeks in California.

Fly into San Fran, going to drive down to LA with a couple of stops, then down to San Diego (with maybe a couple more stops) and back to LA before home.

The best part of that trip will be the drive along the coast, and that's not a negative comment.

Have fun - I'm happy to hear people from the UK traveling to the US and not going to Vegas or Orlando.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

San Francisco is a great city. California is a great state, actually. Have a great time, mate. I very nearly stayed last time I was there.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...

Heading over to San Francisco for my Birthday with my lad in 7 weeks not that I'm counting doing all the usual touristy bits like Alcatraz and a night at the baseball. 

Staying in Union square mainly but we are having a few days away in LA and Vegas just looking for anything not particularly touristy that we could do while we are there really. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

I'll be sure to check it out mate , are tongues compulsory now .

As compulsory as lube but I doubt you'll need any after Alcatraz........ 

Jealous though. That will be some trip that mate.