You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

San Fran/Los angeles

WaltonRed

Strange reading all these opinions which almost the totally opposite of mine.

I thought LA was brilliant, probably my favourite city i've been to in the US even over New York, definitely areas you want to stay out of and Hollywood Boulevard was a massive let-down but loved the diversity of the place, will need a car to get round though.

San Francisco was shit, loved Alcatraz and driving down Lombard Street was fun as hell, but was bored of the place after a day and it's FULL of bums

I'm just booking some tickets to see the Dodgers!

We followed that by a trip to the NY Yankees 2 summers ago (just before a certain takeover) one of the highlights of the trip...up and down for the National Anthem ...in the middle of the game ffs....can you imaging if that happenend here?

Its subliminal.

Was at a corporate awards ceremony a couple of months back and the marketing director from Coca Cola done a presentation. Every second slide was the Coke logo and he would click to the coke slides while discussing the previous. If you didnt want coke after that you never would.

Guest ShoePiss
Bump, go three weeks tomorrow and cant wait

Where would people recomend staying over night on the highway down?

Thinking of Monterey

Monterey is less than 2 hours away from SF, considering you're going to L.A I'd be looking to put a bit more distance in. Monterey is a worthy place to stop, there's a really good aquarium there and Carmel is around the corner.

I'd get an early start and be in Monterey for mid morning, food in Carmel then down the coast and spend the night in Pismo Beach. The next day I'd spend as long as possible in Santa Barbara rather than going into LA, just me though.

Oh and why not take the ferry over to the Catalina wine mixer?

Bump, go three weeks tomorrow and cant wait

Where would people recomend staying over night on the highway down?

Thinking of Monterey

Monterey is pretty good. Have you read Cannery Row by Steinbeck? Good book. Sweet Thursday is alright as well.

We stopped in Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara (which is worth a stop off I reckon).

San Fransisco is quality despite the shitty weather, not been here long but already ate at the Stinky Rose which serves the quite outstanding garlic ice cream, sauntered through Haight Ashbury and Golden Gate park. the California Academy of Sciences is good, it's got an Aquarium, Planetarium & Rainforest in it and I was lucky enough to turn up on a night when they turned it into a nightclub. Surreal seeing Penguins whilst dance music blares out. Off to cycle the Golden gate bridge.

Takes me back this thread. Emigrated - illegally - when I was twenty one. I hated LA but San Francisco and the bay area was great. Shagged like fuck and partied like fuck and did not last a year but it was hell of a ride, in more ways than one.

For me LA was soulless as San Fran was alive, great, great place and still got the memories. We drove up the coast road out of LA and it was beautiful and well worth it, defo go the coast road it is well worth the extra time.