You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

San Fran/Los angeles

WaltonRed

I know what you mean Champ but its all we can muster at the min.

Was not meant as any sort of criticism...its all most of us mortals can manage but when you only have a limited amount of time and there's so much you could do there's a balance to be found in not trying to do so much that you dont do anything justice and just exhaust yourself.

As I said, I didnt rate Los Angeles that much but we got tickets to see the Dodgers and that really was good. I liked doing something that wasnt exactly touristy and being part of a crowd and getting caught up in the culture of a different game

Surprised by the LA hate, I went last year and although I was initially disappointed with it (and I was initially disappointed by New York), the more I think about it, it's made a lasting impression on me.

I'll conceed that it's not for everybody but in hindsight, I really enjoyed it.

If your passing through, it's deffo worth a look about and there is plenty to do for a few days - Walk Of Fame, Beverley Hills, Rodeo Drive, Farmers Market / Grove, Sunset, Universal Studios etc etc.

We went to Venice & Santa Monica for a day but ended up in a local doctors all afternoon as my Mrs either got a infected blister or bitten by a spider (the doctor wasn't sure which) which needed attending to. Shame we didn't really get to stay that long as they were both really nice. We walked all along Venice to the pier in Santa Monica before going to A&E. 'Twas quality.

I would recommend driving a bit further south and going to San Diego. Was there last year also and it's brilliant. The Gaslamp Area in the centre is class, about 10 square blocks of bars and restaurants. Taking a trip to Conrnado is worth while as well, it has America's best beach and it's easy to see why. You can aslo see Mexico from there on a clear day. We stayed on Mission / Pacific Beach and there were loads of cool little bars and restaurants there as well.

I'm driving from San Fran to San Diego later this year. We're taking 2 weeks. Not as much as we like but what can ya do? 3 nights in San Fran & hit the road then stopping off wherever we please along the way.

Anyway, we were aiming towards staying in the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego but we're also hearing good reports about the Mission Beach area. Which would you recommend? How many days do you think we should spend in San Diego? Also, we're unsure about handing back the car when we get there & using public transport (cheaper?) or just keeping the car til the end of the holiday. Any advice on what you think would be the better option?

Anyway, we were aiming towards staying in the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego but we're also hearing good reports about the Mission Beach area. Which would you recommend? How many days do you think we should spend in San Diego? Also, we're unsure about handing back the car when we get there & using public transport (cheaper?) or just keeping the car til the end of the holiday. Any advice on what you think would be the better option?

It's a lovely city is San Diego, you'll deffo have a good time.

We stayed in a hotel called Surfer Beach Hotel, which is on the corner of Mission & Pacific Beach for 7 nights last July. If you Google Map the hotel, it brings it up, it's literally 20 yards from the beach.

There is about 6/7 bars or restaurants on the beach front within 5 minute walking distance. The main strip of bars is on Garrett Street (IIRC). Probably about a dozen or so bars on there.

The beach there isn't as nice as Santa Monica or Cornonado but it's still quite nice.

The Gaslamp is right in the city centre, I'm not sure which beach you'd go to from there as the city centre bay area where all the Marine ships dock. You can do trolley tours round the city which take you to Old Town, Little Italy, Balboa Park and Cornonado. We crammed all that in during a day but if you want to explore it properly and go to the zoo & Sea World (Sea World isn't on the Trolley Tour, we didn't go but it doesn't have as much as the Orlando one) and have a day or so at the beach, I'd say maybe 5-6 days?

There is a tram service in the city centre but I'm not entirely sure how far it goes out, I think it goes out to Cornonado but couldn't say 100%.

The tram defintely doesn't go out to Mission / Pacfic Beach. Everytime we wanted to go to the Gaslamp we had to get a taxi took about 20 minutes and cost C.$40.

Depends on what you want to do mate. I'd deffo keep the car if you were went to Mission / Pacific Beach.

Happy to help if you have anymore questions.

Great stuff. Thanks for that Paulie. I doubt we'll get to spend 7 days/nights in San Diego. We want to get to see as much as possible on the drive but at the same time not just pass through places without stopping. My mrs just wanted to drive as far as LA originally but i was thinking that since we're going that far, we might as well go as far as San Diego. I'm not bothered about LA but we'll definitely have a look there. There's so many places we want to see along the way. It's a disaster not having more time. If i have any more questions i'll give ya a shout.

Great stuff. Thanks for that Paulie. I doubt we'll get to spend 7 days/nights in San Diego. We want to get to see as much as possible on the drive but at the same time not just pass through places without stopping. My mrs just wanted to drive as far as LA originally but i was thinking that since we're going that far, we might as well go as far as San Diego. I'm not bothered about LA but we'll definitely have a look there. There's so many places we want to see along the way. It's a disaster not having more time. If i have any more questions i'll give ya a shout.

Ok, if you only have a few days in San Diego then stop in the Gaslamp & use the trolley tour to see all the city. It's not expensive and you can get on / off wherever you like and jump back on at anytime.

We got the Greyhound back from San Diego to LA and was going great, until we got to Anahiem and the traffic from there back into LA was total gridlock. It was basically bumper to bumper for the last 30 miles. As LA is so big, nobody walks & everybody drives so make sure you leave plenty of time when driving back or anywhere in LA to be honest.

Was going to ask what the weathers like april time?

My sister lives in SF, has done for the past few aprils but i need a non family view cos she'll have me wrapped up like a twat even though i'm 29

No experience of the weather there in April..was just guessing really. My trip was in September and the conditions were quite varied. In SF there was often sea mist in the morning that burnt off and then it was clear and warm. Inland was significantly warmer...very hot at times but cold at night. Los Angeles was hot and more humid (smoggy) Might not be relevant for your trip but.....

Guest ShoePiss

SF can be foggy and really cold any time of year. If the fog bank doesn't burn off by 2 it's cold all day. I made the mistake of driving from the south bay with the top down on my car in shorts and flip flops to the city and was blue by the time I got out of the car.

It will be about 60F most days but there really is a micro climate and you could go from 80F to 40F moving inside to outside the fog bank.

You won't need your winter Liverpool clothes. Just your normal stuff, jeans, shorts, t-shirts, hooded tops etc

Personally, I think San Francisco is a bit shit, too. Not my kind of place, I guess.

Regarding LA, it's good once to see all of the touristy parts, and the beach is the only thing worth seeing again. Venice Beach is class.

I met Mike Clarke from Venice crossover legends (and my favourite ever band) Suicidal Tendencies in a cafe / bar on Venice beach front.

I'd just bought ST's (then) brand new CD "Suicidal For Life" from a store called Penny Lane Records, just round the corner from the beach front and he was glad to autograph it for me.

Nice lad and a great guitarist. It is fair to say I was completely awe-struck, and apart from the constant stream of fanny at The Banana Bungelow, easily the highlight of my LA jaunt.

Have to agree with San D over LA. LA is just a bit run down and scummy in the touristy areas.

Lots of good stuff in San D - USS Missouri, day trips to Tijuana, Coronado, generally nicer and friendlier.

As for SF, give Haight-Ashbury a miss unless you are a big fan of smelly begging hippies and junkies.

Worth a drive to San Jose to see the Winchester Mystery House. Google it, fascinating place.

Guest ShoePiss

I can't believe I'm going to have to disagree with Alan Sex over something and he hasn't posted pictures of cocks.

Really, don't bother going to the Winchester Mystery house or San Jose for that matter.

The house is a load of bollocks, 'unexplained' staircases leading nowhere and front doors set into the floor. The only thing remotely interesting is that the woman was related to the Winchester family who made the guns. It's just endless old cramped rooms with no A/C.

I can't believe I'm going to have to disagree with Alan Sex over something and he hasn't posted pictures of cocks.

Really, don't bother going to the Winchester Mystery house or San Jose for that matter.

The house is a load of bollocks, 'unexplained' staircases leading nowhere and front doors set into the floor. The only thing remotely interesting is that the woman was related to the Winchester family who made the guns. It's just endless old cramped rooms with no A/C.

Depends what you like I suppose, I kind of like that ghosty stuff - and the whole spiritualism fad of early last century is interesting to me as it was huge in every facet of society but has since been swept under the carpet and almost written out of history.

Make sure to hang onto the car for your stay in LA.Place is massive and you can do fuck all without a car.Hated the place myself.Full of tossers.Only thing i liked was Venice beach & seeing The Chateau.Make sure to stop in Santa Cruz on the way down.Great little town.Its where they made The Lost Boys & is the lesbian capital of the states. San Fran is the business.As said earlier you'll get the game in The Mad Dog on lower haight. Loads of great record shops around there & on Mission.Check on Vesuvios on North Beach.Great bar that Kerouac hung out in.Enjoy.

Guest ShoePiss
I've read that the amount of homeless people in San Fran and/or San Diego is frightening. Does that make it less safe over there?

The homeless in SF are everywhere and quite aggressive in their begging, just don't take any shit from them and you'll be fine. SF is perfectly safe for a city of it's size.

The truth above: San Francisco great; LA shit; San Diego worth a visit; Amoeba Records magnificent. Check out the Amoeba in Berkeley, too. Actually, Berkeley's an interesting place for a day/evening out: good food and drink, good academic vibes...

Don't forget to wear a Giants baseball cap to LA, by the way.

If you have the time do the trip from San fran to Yosemite. You won't regret it. This time is the best time of the year as the snow will have recently melted so all the steams will be running and so too will the many waterfalls. I'm on my phone at the moment and can't remember the name of the hotel we stayed in but will check and post up the link here.

I really could not recommend it enough. You will enjoy it.