You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you want the hairdryer treatment or the arm around your shoulder?

I cant say I'm surprised....I feel completely hungover and I didn't have that much to drink.

Arm around the shoulder please! It's nearly 7pm and I haven't had any since yesterday evening, so it was just down to the shite result and I needed something/anything to cheer me up.. The fags didn't work though, woke up this morning with a seriously sore throat and have had a sick feeling all day. Great weekend.

Arm around the shoulder please! It's nearly 7pm and I haven't had any since yesterday evening, so it was just down to the shite result and I needed something/anything to cheer me up.. The fags didn't work though, woke up this morning with a seriously sore throat and have had a sick feeling all day. Great weekend.

Ok. Arm around your shoulder this time...extenuating circumstances and all that, now back on the wagon but I cant be so lenient next time! Seriously, don't be too hard on yourself and just carry on doing what you've been doing....and Good Luck

I fell off the wagon yesterday after the game....... *hangs head in shame*

However, I'm not planning on going back to smoking, yesterday was just a blip.

How ya doing a week on from your 'blip'? Dog with a bone me

Even knocking my fundraising thread off the front page to bump this

Good man. So maybe I'll return to monthly check ups? What d'ya say?

And you've got a holiday coming up too

Sounds perfect. Yeah a few days in Spain coming up at the start of June with the family but I reckon I'll be fine... Famous last words!!

Quit the Biftas in October.

Over 200 days (213 to be precise) and going strong. I got one of those quit smoking calculators on the Phone, so monitor it from that. So I can also tell you that I've saved approx £1,200 too.

Ciggies are twats, I'm well please to be shot of them.

Quit the Biftas in October.

Over 200 days (213 to be precise) and going strong. I got one of those quit smoking calculators on the Phone, so monitor it from that. So I can also tell you that I've saved approx £1,200 too.

Ciggies are twats, I'm well please to be shot of them.

Nice one mate!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Champ.. How quick does a month go by? All is well over here, still going strong, we've had our little mini break which was my main worry but made it through with flying colours, bar the FA Cup blip it's been relatively easy!!

Thanks for checking in as always!

Hey Champ.. How quick does a month go by? All is well over here, still going strong, we've had our little mini break which was my main worry but made it through with flying colours, bar the FA Cup blip it's been relatively easy!!

You're welcome. You make it sound like its been quite easy...has that surprised you or have you been here before?

You're welcome. You make it sound like its been quite easy...has that surprised you or have you been here before?

It has been easy, but yes, I have been here before, the trap I fell into last time was thinking I could be a “social smoker” by having the odd one or two here and there and before I knew it I was a regular smoker again! Not going down that route this time though. It’s all or nothing!

I gave up once. put loads of weight on, hence sick of being fat thread, Reverted back to smoking for a good year. Then quit again on christmas eve.

I have however had at least one pack of fags when I have had a session once every month, Then the next couple of days I endure the cravings again.

Apart from the monry and the damage to your health I thoroughly enjoy smoking!!!

• 5 weeks later...
Morning, navbasi, how's things?

Morning Champ... Wow, has it been another month already? Well it's all smoke free over here, went on a short break with the family and made it through without any issues.. It's when the season starts that'll be the real test!! ;-)

How's everyone else that's given up recently getting on? And anymore planning on knocking it on the head?

Thinking of giving it a shot as I'm smoking far too much - 40 a day region - may even be more when I'm having a drink at home. How did you go about it?

Started laying the groundwork. Most of my smoking takes place in a little room where I have the PC - it is now a complete shithole - walls and ceiling all the same colour. Started clearing it out and I'm going to redecorate and then not smoke in it. Reckon that will half my ciggy count at a stroke.

I will see how that goes for a week or two and then try to pack in all together. This will be around the end of July if it goes to plan.

I read Alen Carrs book about 2 years ago and quit for 8 months. I even went travelling around Thailand during that time and never touched a bifter. Then one time in a party I thought "i'll have a crafty fag, it wont hurt", now for the past couple of years ive been wrestling with the habit again.

I cant seem to get that "i dont want to smoke" feeling back again that I had after reading that book. I have read a couple of times since as well.

The problem is with me is that I play a lot of football and do a lot of boxing. My fitness is ace and can go 3 weeks without smoking, then as soon as a drink touches my lips or I play with my band (even rehearsals) I smoke about 5 or 6 ciggies.

A 10 pack can last me 3 days, and I know thats not a lot but I fuckin hate it. I just want rid of them forever but cant seem to kick it for good!

I am a textbook 'social smoker'.

Any suggestions?

Guest Pistonbroke

Speaking with mates who packed in smoking ages ago, in some cases as long as 10 years, they all still crave for a ciggie now and again.

Thinking of giving it a shot as I'm smoking far too much - 40 a day region - may even be more when I'm having a drink at home. How did you go about it?

Started laying the groundwork. Most of my smoking takes place in a little room where I have the PC - it is now a complete shithole - walls and ceiling all the same colour. Started clearing it out and I'm going to redecorate and then not smoke in it. Reckon that will half my ciggy count at a stroke.

I will see how that goes for a week or two and then try to pack in all together. This will be around the end of July if it goes to plan.

The fact that you are even thinking of giving it a shot is the best start possible. It’s something you really have to want to do and it’s not something that can be done half heartily in my opinion, you either really go for it or not bother at all. With me, even though I wasn’t smoking a lot (max 8-10 a day) I never had the bottle to give up or even try because I always thought it was going to be so hard and that I wouldn’t do it anyway, but then when I did I was pretty determined and it was a piece of piss. It really is mind over matter. I started off with the patches but of the pack of 7 I only used them for the first 4 days, on the 5th day I was running late for work and forgot to put the patch on and it wasn’t until later in the afternoon that I realised that I had forgotten to put the patch on.

It definitely is a personal thing though as what works for me might not work for you and vice versa, I remember another thread where people who had smoked as much or even more than you going cold turkey and not having any issue after a couple of weeks. Maybe because you’re quiet a heavy smoker you should go and see your doctor about it.

Like I said mate, the first step is the fact that you even want to give up…. Hope you can do it because you’re killing yourself slowly smoking 40+ fags a day, let alone the cost… Over £5k a year!!