You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra

I agree with you Steve about Reina but I was just making a point about the churlishness, nitpicking of it all. My point was geared towards Reina being a blue-eyed boy in some regards with a certan aspect of our support to the great evil that is Jamie Carragher.

If people are singling out Carra for individual mistakes that cost us goals yesterday but not Reina then we both know the reason/s why mate.

Fair enough, and I'm still not sure what he was up to with those corners at Wembley when it was 2-1, either.

But again, it should have been academic, a formality. The game should have been put to bed in the 90, and one part of the team's extreme inefficiency is putting a huge strain on the other.

People talk as if we've been winning frequently with Agger and Skrtel, when we haven't.

I know the Rafa/Carra/Hodgson/Purslow wars are never going to end, but I'd like to think I was big enough to also look down on any criticism of Agger if he'd lost Van Persie twice. That isn't the biggest flaw in this team.

Guest San Don
Reina should've done better. I said that. He wouldn't have had a save to make if Carra had defended properly.

That's just fucking pathetic, excusing one poor performance by blaming it on other players.

Players are culpable irrespective of whether someone before them fucked up and didnt deal with it. Each players has an opportunity to deal with it and if they all fucked up, they all fucked up and should have done better.

Thats rubbish, Carragher was 100% at fault for 1st goal, absolute diabolical defending that you wouldn't see on a park, but Reina had the ball passed by him on his near post to cost us the game yet again this season, he's in the comfort zone as we've no back up to challenge him, he needs a kick up the arse and that means been left outta all cup games next season to a young hungry keeper that wants to be number 1 and see can he see the challenge off,like Hart was at City, or to a lesser extent Carson here 6-7 years ago. He's the one player at the club currently undroppable and he knows it.

Or maybe a big part of why we've actually progressed in the domestic cups this season is because Pepe Reina's played all the games rather than whatever shite back up we've signed for that season like Brad Jones or Itandje.

Reina isn't perfect, but there's not many keepers around you'd swap him for. It's a big difference.

I obviously dont know what goes on in training, and which one of them performs best. But i'd personally want to see Coates in ahead of Carra now. Both have played some games this season and both have made some mistakes and played well other times. Coates though has got bags of potential, and for him to fulfil it, he needs games. He's also more similar to Agger in that he's comfortable on the ball and a good passer. For as good as Carra's been for us over the years he does not complement Skrtel as well as a more football playing centre back would.

Or maybe a big part of why we've actually progressed in the domestic cups this season is because Pepe Reina's played all the games rather than whatever shite back up we've signed for that season like Brad Jones or Itandje.

Reina isn't perfect, but there's not many keepers around you'd swap him for. It's a big difference.

That's my point, we shouldn't have a Brad Jones or Itandje, we should have a top young keeper who's not content to just pick up his wages, and who gets to play in the cup games and the Number 1 knows he needs to be on his toes, Reina knows he can play shite each week and he won't be dropped, no player in the squad should have that luxury.

7 defeats this season

Stoke - Clumsy challenge certainly, but a meal made of it and Clattenburg couldn't wait to give it. Again, wasteful finishing cost us dearly but that and a biased referee's performance are ignored to hammer you know who

Spurs- godawful all round, two red cards and Agger injured don't help.

Fulham - again chances go begging and a Reina slip proves costly. Carragher not on pitch.

City - average, Downing misses great chance at 0-0 but City just too good even in 2nd gear. Carragher not on pitch.

Bolton - fucking atrocious. Carragher not on pitch.

United - cautious approach undone by mistakes. Carragher not on pitch.

So you can see why some people think Carragher is being singled out a tad.

Put Coates in if you like, frankly it would be almost worth it just to knock all this shite on the head.

So it's all Torres fault our manager decided to pay £35 million for an injured average striker.

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Not all but part of it yes.

Its hard to believe we won a cup and guaranteed European football merely a week ago.

Yesterday proved that we still have a few problems to sort out before we are a top 4 side again.

Thats all.

I would like to have a better look at Coates, but I think the stick Carra is taking is a bit much considering it was his first full game in a fair while against the best striker in the Prem at the moment.

As has been mentioned, we have only won 2 of the last 10 league games while we have one of the best defences, so I think most stick should be aimed further forward.

Not sure that Coates starting in the derby is a great idea either.

we aren't going to get a better oppertunity to play coates with relatively little to lose.

agger is injury prone and we need a long term understudy especially with europe next season. carra has been a good but his best days are behind him so we need to build for the future. it was absolutely correct that carra should have played in our must win 6 pointer but we lost and imho CL is down. our european football is secured for there is no real reason not to play coates.

We can blame Carra,Reina,Adam,Henderson or whoever but its ironic that at a time when we are great at keeping them out and great at creating chances that we havent got anybody who can convert a good majority of those chances we are creating.

Its why Arsenal and Newcastle,2 teams who we could claim to be better than are above us in the League when they really shouldnt be.

Guest alantkayll

People are asking for Coates, but look at him at Stoke in the Carling cup and he got away with a blatant penalty for Chelsea in the cup. Our problem is not at the back. Its up front.

We can blame Carra,Reina,Adam,Henderson or whoever but its ironic that at a time when we are great at keeping them out and great at creating chances that we havent got anybody who can convert a good majority of those chances we are creating.

Its why Arsenal and Newcastle,2 teams who we could claim to be better than are above us in the League when they really shouldnt be.

Is the right answer. I read yesterday we have the worst chance conversion rate of any premiership side at around 8% . Also we have hit the woodwork more times than any other side. Sort this out and the odd defensive error becomes largely irrelevant . At the moment we concede and we can't recover.

Apologies if someone has already made this point. Have not read any post for a few days

We've got massive problems all over except for when our first choice back 4 play together.

Our wingers aren't quick, don't beat players and rarely score, our forwards don't score goals, and barely create anything with the exception of Suarez. Bellmay is good playing wide and up front but he's only started a few league games.

Our centre midfield is too easy to go straight through without Lucas. Charlie Adam can't defend and isn't a consistently good passer of the ball.

We need to strengthen this summer as much as we did last summer. We need a quality winger with pace, a centre forward who can score goals,a nd a midfielder who can dictate play unless Henderson really steps up.

People are asking for Coates, but look at him at Stoke in the Carling cup and he got away with a blatant penalty for Chelsea in the cup. Our problem is not at the back. Its up front.

Our problem is up front, but the problem is we can't afford to give stupid goals away at the back because we don't score enough goals to compensate. How many stupid goals have Agger or Skrtel given away this season at centre back? How many stupid goals or penalties has Carragher given away in less games?

As for Coates well he played better than Carragher overall in those Stoke and Chelsea games. Second half at Stoke, Coates and Skrtel were rock solid. First half Carragher and Coates were both all over the place.

The fact is, we need to see if Coates is good enough for next season because we can't have this ridiculous situation where we go to pieces at the back every time Agger breaks down. If Coates isn't ready then sign someone who is. That's why we need to give Coates a run to see if he's ready.

Guest alantkayll
Our problem is up front, but the problem is we can't afford to give stupid goals away at the back because we don't score enough goals to compensate. How many stupid goals have Agger or Skrtel given away this season at centre back? How many stupid goals or penalties has Carragher given away in less games?

As for Coates well he played better than Carragher overall in those Stoke and Chelsea games. Second half at Stoke, Coates and Skrtel were rock solid. First half Carragher and Coates were both all over the place.

The fact is, we need to see if Coates is good enough for next season because we can't have this ridiculous situation where we go to pieces at the back every time Agger breaks down. If Coates isn't ready then sign someone who is. That's why we need to give Coates a run to see if he's ready.

How many games have we won in the last 10?. Is Carra to blame for that. Its an agenda on him pure and simple. Coates fucked up at Stoke so your talking crap.

I have no problem with Coates playing instead of Carra, you have a problem with Carra for obvious reasons.

Like I keep saying the manager will make the decision.

The problem at the back is insignificant compared to the problem at the front.

I'd be happy to see Coates in the back 4 for the rest of the season.

Lucas or Spearing, makes no real difference. If both play, this allows Gerrard to play further forward. In the absence of Lucas, and with little else to play for, I would get Henderson in alongside Spearing and ask Gerrard to play forward of those two. Alternate Maxi and Bellamy and play the lame duck that is Downing on the opposite wing. Suarez and Gerrard, supported by Maxi/Gerrard, is as good as it gets for the rest of the season.

We've got massive problems all over except for when our first choice back 4 play together.

Our wingers aren't quick, don't beat players and rarely score, our forwards don't score goals, and barely create anything with the exception of Suarez. Bellmay is good playing wide and up front but he's only started a few league games.

Our centre midfield is too easy to go straight through without Lucas. Charlie Adam can't defend and isn't a consistently good passer of the ball.

We need to strengthen this summer as much as we did last summer. We need a quality winger with pace, a centre forward who can score goals,a nd a midfielder who can dictate play unless Henderson really steps up.

Henderson will benefit from playing in the middle. If Spearing is playing, there's no massive issue if Lucas isn't fit. Spearing played yesterday, and even with the hapless Adam, we bossed the middle of the park. We have by and large dominated most games this season. I have no issue with the defence, though Reina is looking decidedly average, and I believe we'll be looking at Henderson this time next year and remarking how much he's improved and what a positive impact he has on the team. If we don't fix the forward line though, we will be in more or less the same place in the league. I believe we'd be in a better position this season with Wolves' forward line than ours.

Henderson will benefit from playing in the middle. If Spearing is playing, there's no massive issue if Lucas isn't fit. Spearing played yesterday, and even with the hapless Adam, we bossed the middle of the park. We have by and large dominated most games this season. I have no issue with the defence, though Reina is looking decidedly average, and I believe we'll be looking at Henderson this time next year and remarking how much he's improved and what a positive impact he has on the team. If we don't fix the forward line though, we will be in more or less the same place in the league. I believe we'd be in a better position this season with Wolves' forward line than ours.

I like Spearing, but i don't think Song would've got as much time on the ball for the last goal if Lucas was playing.

I'd play Lucas and Spearing, and have Gerrard ahead of them if they were all fit.

How many games have we won in the last 10?. Is Carra to blame for that. Its an agenda on him pure and simple. Coates fucked up at Stoke so your talking crap.

I have no problem with Coates playing instead of Carra, you have a problem with Carra for obvious reasons.

Like I keep saying the manager will make the decision.

You're the one with the agenda.

All i'm interested in is the club moving forward. I'd rather play Coates while Agger's out so if he does well then the team benefits now and he'll benefit from the games, if he makes mistakes then at least he'll learn from it whereas Carragher won't at this point in his career. I don't think the 34-year-old Carragher is up to it at the top level simply because of the amount of mistakes made in games he's started this season. If you disagree then that's up to you.

Lucas has become a fantastic player since he was injured; there isn't a challenge he wouldn't have been in position for since he got injured. :) I like Lucas, and I like Spearing. I personally would like to see Lucas or Spearing, with Henderson alongside, and Gerrard sitting forward of those two.

What the fuck is up with this place? Agendas? Revelling? Disrespecting a legend? For fucks sake. Get a grip. Both goals were his fault. Van persie was his man and he was no where near on both occasions. A few years ago the ball would've been in row z for both goals. People saying Coates should now play are not disrespecting carra nor are they even saying that coates is the better player. What they are saying is that it all probability the top 4 is gone and therefore we only stand to gain from playing coates in the league from now on. We could throw him in and he'll be absolutely shite and we'll know that hes not upto it or he could show the potential to be the best defender of all time. It would be madness not to give him some game time between now and the end of the season.

What the fuck is up with this place? Agendas? Revelling? Disrespecting a legend? For fucks sake. Get a grip. Both goals were his fault. Van persie was his man and he was no where near on both occasions. A few years ago the ball would've been in row z for both goals. People saying Coates should now play are not disrespecting carra nor are they even saying that coates is the better player. What they are saying is that it all probability the top 4 is gone and therefore we only stand to gain from playing coates in the league from now on. We could throw him in and he'll be absolutely shite and we'll know that hes not upto it or he could show the potential to be the best defender of all time. It would be madness not to give him some game time between now and the end of the season.

Don't talk sense.