You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra

a) "Roy Hodgson talks endless shite"

b) "We were in a relegation battle - Roy Hodgson said so"

Seriously? A relegation battle after the seventh game?

Are you forgetting we were only four points above the relegation zone in January....three months after that article and past the halfway point of the season?.

Quite a lot of us were worried at the time. Didn't mean it was set in stone but still, not much of an improvement in 3months...

Anyway that article, they are Hodgson's words, not mine.

a) "Roy Hodgson talks endless shite"

b) "We were in a relegation battle - Roy Hodgson said so"

Seriously? A relegation battle after the seventh game?

No, you're right, but when it's Xmas and were still in the shite, then yes, it is, wouldn't you say ?

Iirc, we lost to the cobblers and were in the bottom 4 after half a season, defo relegation trouble.

12th when he got the boot.

...and four points away from the relegation zone.

Still doesn't look good despite which angle you look at it. It wasn't like we were peaking and diving, we were in constant trouble for months with no sight to it ending.

Anyway, I'm done. Made my point and will move on to more possitive things to comment on.

What did you say then? Apologies then if my memory doesnt serve me correctly as you have the right to correct me if I'm wide of the mark.

I've said before and I can say again that when a final goes to penalties I cant for the life of me understand how one manager can be seen as a tactical genius if he wins it while the other is hardly mentioned because from a managers input I'd say its even beytween them, when it comes to penalties its out of the managers hands.

12th when he got the boot.

Not great obviously, and I wanted him gone after Wolves, but I'm interested in the term "relegation battle" and when it actually becomes a reality.

That was a very sketchy bet!

5 points off the bottom after 20 games, relegation form !

I'm just making the point of the ABB's history is and will show that it wasn't just a case of moving him on.

Anyway, let's hope AVB is right and we storm the prem next season as the infighting won't stop until we're succesful.

...and four points away from the relegation zone.

Still doesn't look good despite which angle you look at it. It wasn't like we were peaking and diving, we were in constant trouble for months with no sight to it ending.

Anyway, I'm done. Made my point and will move on to more possitive things to comment on.

With games in hand and if we won them we would be 7th.

I've said before and I can say again that when a final goes to penalties I cant for the life of me understand how one manager can be seen as a tactical genius if he wins it while the other is hardly mentioned because from a managers input I'd say its even beytween them, when it comes to penalties its out of the managers hands.

Fair enough, my memory's obviously not what it used to be and I stand corrected.

Had Roy Hodgson stayed then we most certainly would've been in a relegation battle.

Our team was shocking to start with and he just made it worse by not playing to our players strengths. His boring training routines were hated by the players and most of our key players wanted to leave because of him.

We lost 3 of the last 4 games Hodgson was in charge for, and the only one we won was due to a last minute goal against Bolton which was offside if I remember correctly. And its not as if these games were against massive teams, they were Newcastle (A), Wolves (H), Bolton (H) and Blackburn (A).

It was only going to get worse from there in my opinion, as a manager who is disliked by the whole squad is hardly going to able to get the players 100% on his side and putting in the effort to turning things around.

• 6 years later...