You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra

When they become shit, same as every other. Carra also has that dodgy contract hanging over him, the briefing against Rafa in the press and the refusal to play right-back, and the silly comments he's made about foreigners at the club recently. Always out for number one.

Fucking hell. Have I stumbled onto RAWK?

he was definately one of the best defenders in europe but 'best of his generation' is a bit of a strecth, even for liverpool fans.

One of the best of his generation.

You don't do what he's done without having some ability.

Quality Player, Quality Person.

At his prime he was the best defender in England and one of the best in Europe. He was absolutely immense on the 2005 European Cup run, particularly in the final. On top of some astonishing interventions, he never gets credit for a beautiful pass into the box that Baros backheels for Gerrard, who gets pulled down for the penalty.

However, he's no longer good enough for our first team. He's lost pace and he's always a moment or two late for what were once last gasp blocks or tackles. No shame in that at all, but he shouldn't be exposed in that way at this point in his career.

I'd take issue with this assumption that he'll automatically make a great coach. There's zero connection between having been a good footballer and having the requisite aptitude for managing football teams. Sometimes, like in the case of Pep Guardiola, an individual can excel at both. Roy Keane's poor efforts show the other, more common side that particular coin lands on.

At his prime he was the best defender in England and one of the best in Europe.

I don't think at any stage in carra's career was he the best defender in england. even at liverpool I think carra had at most two seasons where I thought he was outperforming sami and that's just at liverpool.

I thought at carra's peak (06-09) he was a superb defender but the hyperbole over him is freaking outrageous. just this season before he got injured people were still claiming it's carra +1, but they soon disappear when skrtel and agger established themselves a partnership.

seriously? at carra's peak he was an excellent defender but at no stage was he the best defender of his generation, in fact I don't there has been a stage where I thought he was better than sami at liverpool.

I said in the box he was the best defender I've ever seen however he had his limitations outside the box so overall I can see why people rate other defenders in higher regard.

He was really good between 2005 and 2007 and one of the best in the country and one of the best in the CL over that period. I'm not sure about one of the best defeners in Europe, though. In England you had Terry, Gallas and Carvalho at Chelsea. Ferdinand and Vidic at United. Puyol at Barca, Ayala at Valencia, Cannavarro, Maldini and Nesta in Italy. As well as our Sami. It'd be a stretch to say he was better than any of them, but there was no doubting how good his performance levels were for that period.

I think it's sad to see how much he's detoriated as a player this year. His game is shot to pieces and it'd be better for him to hold his hands up like Neville did last year, rather than carry on and keep making mistakes which cost the team.

When we had the offside trap (so he didn't have to back off all the time) and he was all over strikers like a rash, it was a thing of (anti-)beauty.

That 05/06 season him and Hyypia (with Agger there as well) were superb. We kept so many clean sheets that season and kept a high-defensive line with Reina sweeping up.

He was really good between 2005 and 2007 and one of the best in the country and one of the best in the CL over that period. I'm not sure about one of the best defeners in Europe, though. In England you had Terry, Gallas and Carvalho at Chelsea. Ferdinand and Vidic at United. Puyol at Barca, Ayala at Valencia, Cannavarro, Maldini and Nesta in Italy. As well as our Sami. It'd be a stretch to say he was better than any of them, but there was no doubting how good his performance levels were for that period.

I think it's sad to see how much he's detoriated as a player this year. His game is shot to pieces and it'd be better for him to hold his hands up like Neville did last year, rather than carry on and keep making mistakes which cost the team.

That is spot on for me.

From a purely defensive point of view Carra has been one of best players in that position in England in the last 10 years, disgustingly overlooked by the national gobshites due to Southern team or player bias, however his build up play has never been good and he offers no goal threat at all (to the oppositions goal at least) A great, great defender if not a football player!

When they become shit, same as every other. Carra also has that dodgy contract hanging over him, the briefing against Rafa in the press and the refusal to play right-back, and the silly comments he's made about foreigners at the club recently. Always out for number one.

Have I mentioned that I really fucking hate you?

Actually, I thought Carra after the semi-final came out in defense of Andy and he obviously loves Luis Suarez. I guess he likes foreigners who play for us, but not other foreigners? Weird really how selective that sounds. I don't think Carra is 'always out for number one' either. Yes, he probably wants to keep playing for Liverpool, but I don't think it's because he's angling for more money or anything. I think he just loves this club and wants the best for it.

Actually, I thought Carra after the semi-final came out in defense of Andy and he obviously loves Luis Suarez. I guess he likes foreigners who play for us, but not other foreigners? Weird really how selective that sounds. I don't think Carra is 'always out for number one' either. Yes, he probably wants to keep playing for Liverpool, but I don't think it's because he's angling for more money or anything. I think he just loves this club and wants the best for it.

If he wants the best for the club and himself especially, I really hope he hangs up his boots in May.

If he wants the best for the club and himself especially, I really hope he hangs up his boots in May.

I hope he doesn't but becomes our insurance policy against injuries, loss of form, and the extra games we have to play next year. We do need to use every opportunity to bring through the pipeline of centerbacks we have that need to be tested at a higher level though (Coates, Wisdom, etc).

TBH I have more of an issue with KK for constantly disrupting the back 4 and passing up opportunities to blood Coates to accommodate him than with him.

You really are a bitter and deluded fool. That's concentrated wrongness there. Distilled idiocy.

Last night highlighted to me how far Carragher has fallen.

Puyol is the same age as Carragher, yet you wouldn't know it.

Again, not a quick player, just a hard, clever player, and leader.

Puyol is brilliant. Terry is still an excellent last-ditch defender producing performances like Carragher used to regularly in the CL. Ferdinand has been good form in recent months settling United down at the back on route to another title. Zanetti is still as good as ever after 800 games for Inter.

Each player is different and comes to the end eventually. It looks like that time really is now for Carragher. He's had a great career, but his game is gone.