You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez - Will he be here next season?

Guest LFD

Got the new Liverpool Way mag today and saw Daves views on the Suarez situation (spot on IMO). But he also suggests that he can't see Suarez staying here much longer after the lack of support he has got from the club:

Eventually this will all blow over for the club and it's sponsors. Luis Suarez however, will forever be known by millions of people as the man who racially abused Patrice Evra numerous times and then refused to shake his hand. Still, chaqnces are he won't be Liverpool's problem for too much longer so who cares, eh?

Do others also think he will be off?

I personally would be gutted for him to leave over this. I also fear for our attack next season if he does go, as he is the one creative spark we have in the final third.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll be here don't worry.

How can you be so sure?

You think he'll want to stay following the support from Kenny, the players and fans? You could be right.

But I think he would have been certain to stay had the club defended him better and not thrown him to the wolves like they did.

I think he'll be here. He's got great support from Kenny and that's what matters in the end.

Besides, I don't see us selling him on the cheap to some cheaky Italian club. And I don't think UNICEF will be in for him after recent events, even though his an upgrade from Villa.

I did too, but this guy from Ajax seems to think differently:

Ajax’s team manager, Herman Pinkster, looks after all the new players at the Dutch club and knows the Uruguayan as well as anyone after establishing what he describes as a "friendship for life" during the striker’s spell in Amsterdam.

He believes the backing Liverpool offered Suárez during the dispute with Patrice Evra and the Football Association will keep the striker at Anfield.

“Luis is someone who values loyalty more than money, I believe the internal support for Luis at Liverpool has been strong and he will never forget that,” said Pinkster

Ajax’s team manager, Herman Pinkster, looks after all the new players at the Dutch club and knows the Uruguayan as well as anyone after establishing what he describes as a "friendship for life" during the striker’s spell in Amsterdam.

He believes the backing Liverpool offered Suárez during the dispute with Patrice Evra and the Football Association will keep the striker at Anfield.

“Luis is someone who values loyalty more than money, I believe the internal support for Luis at Liverpool has been strong and he will never forget that,” said Pinkster

That is good to hear.

Seeing the comments from his facebook account, it does look like he does really value the support, so that is positive.

I think Suarez will be here next season. I can't believe an ultra competitive sort like him would leave so soon, when clearly we are trying to build something here. He has been backed by Kenny and his fellow players through this tough time. If/when he does go, I believe the determining factor will be CL football and our ability to challenge at the highest level, which would mean challenging for the league and routinely featuring in the Champions League knockout stages. We have two more seasons after this one, at the most, to get to that level, or I can't see him staying any longer.

This is an article by Bascombe in the Telegraph. It's dated Feb 23, and was linked on the front sports web-page for a couple of hours, about half way down the page in the tiniest print possible. It's gone already as far as I can see.

The combined PR force of Saatchi and Saatchi, a top spinning Alastair Campbell and Max Clifford might baulk at the challenge of restoring Luis Suárez’s reputation in England.

Those who know the Liverpool striker best, however, are adamant he is a misunderstood young man who will be even more determined to stay in England to reverse negative perceptions.

Suárez seeks rehabilitation on English football’s grandest stage this Sunday. If Liverpool lift their first trophy in six years by beating Cardiff in the Carling Cup final, he will probably be one of the chief protagonists, having taken a major step towards being remembered for football rather than conflict.

“Luis is someone who values loyalty more than money, I believe the internal support for Luis at Liverpool has been strong and he will never forget that,” said Pinkster. “Luis will know it was not such a wise decision not to shake Patrice Evra’s hand. He will want to change people’s opinion of him.

“I see a different perspective than others. He will be even more determined to show everyone his football skills.

“When he makes his mind up about something he sticks to it. That is what happened when he was determined to leave Ajax and move to England and his ambition then was to improve himself and become an even better player.

“Outside of football he is one of the greatest guys I have ever met. He is so determined on the pitch and sometimes it is that determination that is a problem for him.

“It was the same story in Holland when he was first accused of diving and then there was another controversy, but a story always has more sides.”

Suárez’s friends in South America and Holland do not recognise the player who has been branded in England and Pinkster says the allegations of racism do not tally with his experiences working alongside the Uruguayan.

“It does not matter to Luis where you come from. What matters is if you can play football,” he said. “He never knew the impact of the word he used in England and it was the lack of knowledge of the English language that has caused a problem.

"He was having English classes when I visited him in Liverpool last year. His Dutch was OK, but even when you learn a little English it is not easy to understand everyone, especially when people have different accents and mean different things.

“I speak good English, but I can tell you when I spoke to Kenny Dalglish even I found it hard to understand him because of his Scottish voice. You have to be focused to know exactly what is being said, so I can understand why it would be hard for Luis and any player adapting to a new environment. When we had team meetings, I would speak to Luis in Spanish to make the technical instructions more clear.

“One of his closest friends in the Ajax team was Urby Emanuelson, a Surinamese player who signed for AC Milan. They were together all the time, and Luis looked out for him, always concerned. He took the same interest in all the overseas players who joined us because he understood how difficult it could for young players coming to Europe because he did it himself.

“When he was at Ajax he had time for everyone whether it was the kit man or the ladies who prepared the meals. He is a hero in Ajax. I know he is a good person.”

While Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson called for Suárez’s banishment from Anfield, Pinkster believes the striker simply needs to control his flaws rather than change personality.

“To win, you need to be more than technically good,” said Pinkster. “You need characters who will do anything to win. Luis has this character. You don’t want a team of schoolboys.

“There was a game when we were fighting for the title and we scored in the 94th minute to win 1-0. Everyone was happy in the dressing room, but Luis had a face on him like he had just spent his last penny. It was because we had badly, even though we won. That is what he is like. That is what has caused him problems, but is not always a bad quality.”

So will Sunday be the day English football embraces Suárez rather than damns him?

“I know there will be no one more desperate to win,” said Pinkster. “If Luis doesn’t score himself, he will create two goals.”

I hope to hell he's right.

Suarez is one of the best players in the world and he'll be impossible to replace.

This Mr Pinkster knows fuck all about what's happening here. The only mistake that we made was to apologize after the handshake issue. That made it worst and Suarez would have second thought about the support he got from the club.

I sincerely hope he would not go in the summer but i would say if some big clubs come knocking he will go.

I think this is the conversation and question that Ferguson wants us to be having. The very nature of discussing it and perpetuating it, is what makes it plausible.

A bit like Sky News asking a slightly under pressure boss "Will you be able to keep your job?"

Don't give it credence.

If players don't have to leave clubs for kicking supporters in the mush; or deliberately ending players careers; or being imprisoned for drunk driving then there is no story here. So don't make one.

I dont think he could have got any more support/backing than he did, the club from top to bottom stood by him and even wore t-shirts to show it. After all that, he has to believe the club was and are in his corner, and if he has any nouse whatsoever he will understand why the club issued appologies after HIS handshake fuck up.

I think he will be here next season but beyond that is dependant on silverware and CL.

Guest davelfc
I reckon he will stay one more season. After another year of media and crowd hounding he'll leave for spain

Because he won't get that there.

I don't believe he will go anywhere because I believe we will be in the CL by then and he will stay.

In my opinion anything could happen.

Taking Suarez out of the equation, our owners have already proven in my eyes that they value corporate image over the morale of anyone involved with the team so I would not rule out them instigating his departure and trying to use it as a PR exercise for the sponsors and media.

In my opinion anything could happen.

Taking Suarez out of the equation, our owners have already proven in my eyes that they value corporate image over the morale of anyone involved with the team so I would not rule out them instigating his departure and trying to use it as a PR exercise for the sponsors and media.

My understanding is the owners have been involved every step of the way with this affair. "T" shirts, the lot and have even proposed some additional stuff.

So I doubt they would look to dump Luis at this stage; pretty hypocritical if they do.

My understanding is the owners have been involved every step of the way with this affair. "T" shirts, the lot and have even proposed some additional stuff.

It was quoted in the Echo as well that Henry was furious with the way the club was treated, the handshake was different because he had told them he would and then refused.

I don't think he will leave, but I wouldn't be suprised if he did. It seems we are after Gaston Ramierez from Bologna (us and United!), so maybe that will encourage him to stay. I wouldn't blame him if he did leave, apart from the unfair criticism he is in danger of being seriously injured, particularly as it seems that there is the Luis rule and the rules for everybody else.

He'll leave. But we'll get good money. We just need to make sure we don't waste it, and that fills me with fear when you look at some recent signings.

Fuck me, think I'll go hang myself.;)

Didn't know uncle Woy was still in charge.

Kenny out, been too long out of the game, doesn't understand that football has moved on, signings have been mediocre to say the least, etec, etc.

Yep that's the spirit mate.