You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blatant cut'n'paste job.

from...

Bob Paisley - This website is a part of LFCHistory.net

On the press

"Newspapers remind me of Jaws. They'll consume anything you've got and be back for more the next day."

Bob Paisley on the Kop

"The whole of my life, what they wanted was honesty. They were not concerned with cultured football, but with triers who gave one hundred percent."

Bob's first season ended in failure; Liverpool only finished second!

"I'll admit, right away, that I am disappointed that we did not have a major trophy to show for our efforts. We were in four and we had a good side, but when you count second place as failure, then standards are becoming fantastically high. We never celebrate second place here."

In Liverpool Daily Post 21st of April 1983 at the end of his career as Liverpool manager

"I have always preferred to liken the championship to a marathon. You have to know how to start the race, how to take the strain when problems come along and to make sure you don't give any potentially dangerous rivals an advantage.

My policy is to ideally have five or six men around the age of 26, a couple of youngsters, a couple round the 28 mark and one or two in their 30s. But the nucleus of the team should be experienced and not too old. 

You don't just look at the calendar. The medical side is an important yardstick. Our two over 30s are Phil Neal and Kenny Dalglish. Phil is the type of player who doesn't often get injured. Kenny takes more knocks than the others, but he is very strong. They have been outstanding from a stamina point of view as well as in skill. They have kept going as well as anyone. But they still need that help from the younger players."

"Some of the jargon is frightening. They talk of "gettin' round the back" and sound like burglars. They say "You've got to make more positive runs" or "You're too negative". That sounds as though you're filling the team with electricians. But people talk like this without real depth or knowledge of what they're really talking about."

"There are five things generally accepted to be necessary to make a footballer: skill, strength, stamina, speed and flexibility. You have to bear these factors in mind when you are putting together your training programme. The whole scene is a stamina test, a marathon race. Strength has to be developed from the start. You build that up, giving the player a higher resistance to things. Skill comes next, developed with a constant repetition of pattern. Speed comes after you've run them in. Then you start to get them stretching out. Flexibility is important, and we probably suffer in this country because of our climate. It's a well-known fact that players performing in warmer climates have a wider range of movements."

"I just hoped that after the trials and tribulations of my early years in management, someone up high would smile on me and guide my hand. My plea was answered when we got Kenny Dalglish. What a player, what a great professional!"

"The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience, and this is where we can play the Continentals at their own game."

A simple view of the famous Boot Room

"We have a marvellous backroom team at Anfield who share the work-load wonderfully well. No club has a more able and closely-knit staff than ours. The Anfield boot-room has become legendary, and we have a full and frank exchange of views in there in a leisurely atmosphere every Sunday morning. It's just like popping down to the local."

A more detailed view of the famous Boot Room 

"It started initially with Joe and I as somewhere we could talk and air our views and, on match days, as a place to have a drink with visiting managers and backroom staff. We tried to win every game, but no matter how the match was, we liked to relax afterwards and have a drink with the opposition. Just talking about the game is a most interesting aspect of football. On Sunday mornings we'd go in and talk about the Saturday game. There were differing opinions and disagreements and everyone put their oar in. But it was all done in the right manner. We liked everyone to air their views and you probably got a more wide-ranging discussion in the Boot room than you would in the boardroom. But nothing spilled out of there. What went on was within these four walls. There was a certain mystique about the place, which I also believe there should be about the dressing room. What's said in there should, by and large, be private too."

"This club has been my life. I'd go out and sweep the street and be proud to do it for Liverpool FC if they asked me to."

"Other people have earned more money than me in football but no-one has enjoyed it as much as me."

"In my filing cabinet of my Anfield office I have built up a collection of desk diaries for each season in which all sorts of details were noted, ranging from weather conditions for a match in September to the fact that a certain player was late for training one day in March. Nothing can be discounted as unimportant."

"I love the city and the people here. I've been with them for many years and I fought alongside them. Ninety per cent of the regiment were from the Merseyside area. So I got to know the Liverpool character. From a psychological point of view, that was a big asset. I've had a fair time to judge the Liverpool people and I think they're tremendous."

"Its not about the long ball or the short ball, its about the right ball."

On possibly the biggest stars he ever had

"Kevin was quicker off the mark, but Kenny runs the first five yards in his head."

YNWA

I was sat in The Arkles with out kid that day, at the exact moment Bob's death was announced on the telly.

Shocked by the news, I remember looking round out the window and seeing the flag at the Anny Road / Centenary End being lowered to half mast.

Then, after the newsflash had finished, I remember The Beatles "Across The Universe" came on the jukey in the pub. Surreal.

As me and our kidder were walking back along the Anny Road, I also recall Mark Lawrenson driving along it, towards us with a young bird in his car. Laughing his head off he was.

Bob Paisley, never forgotten.

I was too young to remember Bob as LFC Manager but I remember him on the board. I remember the day he passed away and I was very sad. I still am sad today to know that a man such as Bob Paisley had his final years taken away from him by Alzheimers. My Nan has it now and has just gone into a home last Summer. When it is your own family it really brings it home how awful a disease it really is. To think of a man so sharp and cunning as Bob Paisley suffering with not remembering anything or anyone just eats me up.

You will never be forgotton Bob. P.S. My Wife is pregnant and I wanted to call the baby Paisley but she said no way!

• 1 year later...

The guy was a gentleman. When I was a kid my dad took me to a local football cup final, think it was at Alfred Holt, anyway Bob was there. He was still Manager at the time and he shook my hand and gave me his autograph. I'll remember it forever.

Guest San Don

An utter disgrace this man was overlooked by the establishment. He should have been made a Lord never mind a knight.

Having said that, he may well have turned down any such recognition. He'll always be a legend to us though, that's what counts.

An utter disgrace this man was overlooked by the establishment. He should have been made a Lord never mind a knight.

Having said that, he may well have turned down any such recognition. He'll always be a legend to us though, that's what counts.

When you see some of the vile individuals that do get knighted like Bettison, Wright, Ingham or Lords like Archer then I'm made up Bob never did.

It's a shitty backslapping one for the boys establishment award, and means nothing to men of the stature and honesty like Shankly and Paisley.

I never knew Bob Paisley. I doubt many did.

I knew of him. I saw him. I heard him. But I didn't 'know' him.

But regardless of the private man he would have been to genuine friends, to a fan of football, like me, he was what any kid would look up to. An avuncular figure, happy go lucky demeanor in many ways, and yet clearly a winner.

Not one for many words, which only made you pay more attention to the few he uttered.

I was a young lad when he became known to me. Too young to know his backroom role, but old enough to see a man who seemed wise. Seemed likeable, and like countless other kids I knew (supporting many clubs), won us over as we cheered on Liverpool on those famous European nights.

That was a time when football seemed magical, and yet the characters in football seemed more 'in touch'. As great as Bill Shankly's foundations were, it is Bob Paisley who I still see now, and who I believe finally took Liverpool just those final steps to true greatness.

Although I chose another team, that fantastic smile of his will never fade in my memory. Modest, humble, yet a great.

I'd like to say I wish more were like him. But then we wouldn't appreciate just how special some people are.

He remains, and always will be, a credit to LFC.

There are a couple of ok videos about Bob. Theres a two part called the quiet man which is Liverpool in Europe from 73 to 77. It has the stuff about the 77 final and Bob.Another is a 4 part one narrated by Brian Clough and was made when Bob retired.This has the most footage of Bob talking but the quality isn't to good and als o Clough is a bit annoying.

So this is probably the best one to watch about him.

[YOUTUBE]gTAq4VVTQ0o[/YOUTUBE]

One of my best mates was a cub reporter on The Echo when Bob was manager. On his first day at an Anfield press conference all the old soaks crowded him out, and the press officer ignored him wanting to ask a question

But Bob spotted him as a young unknown, and at the end of the conference when my mate was facing the prospect of returning to the editor with no direct quotes, Bob came up to him and asked him who he was. Upon understanding my mates predicament Bob invited him to his office, gave him tea and biscuits, and chatted to him for 20 minutes. My mate left with an overflowing notebook, an exclusive interview, a very happy editor, and Bob had a reporter onside for life!