You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Have a rant thread

Sugar Ape

I went to a secondary school where we didn't have to wear a uniform, there was occasional bullying about clothes but then my mates who went to the local uniformed school reckoned there was bullying for the kids with cheaper blazers, coats and shoes anyway. We also called our teachers by their first names. There was a University campus style culture and it was nice to feel treated as a grown up. Of course a change in leadership meant uniforms, surnames and a big Trump style fence was put all around the school. To make it like every other fucking school in the country. Somehow, this hasn't lead to the "improved discipline" promised. 

Uniforms, at least in their most common form are pretty ridiculous. They are more formal than the majority of their parent's working attire, uncomfortable and impractical. They are also expensive and then there is all the ironing.

As much as I am against them, I do think parents and students should have the choice to go to schools that require them, but so should those who think they are shite. 

Do any of your kids have a relatively informal uniform with polo shirts or something? That I could cope with. 

7 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I went to a secondary school where we didn't have to wear a uniform, there was occasional bullying about clothes but then my mates who went to the local uniformed school reckoned there was bullying for the kids with cheaper blazers, coats and shoes anyway. We also called our teachers by their first names. There was a University campus style culture and it was nice to feel treated as a grown up. Of course a change in leadership meant uniforms, surnames and a big Trump style fence was put all around the school. To make it like every other fucking school in the country. Somehow, this hasn't lead to the "improved discipline" promised. 

Uniforms, at least in their most common form are pretty ridiculous. They are more formal than the majority of their parent's working attire, uncomfortable and impractical. They are also expensive and then there is all the ironing.

As much as I am against them, I do think parents and students should have the choice to go to schools that require them, but so should those who think they are shite. 

Do any of your kids have a relatively informal uniform with polo shirts or something? That I could cope with. 

We have polo shirts. But only on Wednesday, during polo.  

• Upvote 4

Fuck me. 

I had an offer accepted on a house in fucking June and have yet to have a moving date. Top of the chain is doing it themselves without an agent, so take for fucking ever to get any forms returned. 

The house we're selling was bought from a first time buyer scheme so we knew there would be some additional fees as there was a small 2nd mortgage along side the main one. On my first email to our solicitors I mentioned this and have chased them to sort it as it's the kind of thing that can hold everything up. In August they sent me a list of fees from the schemes solicitors to pay to resolve this. About £1 and then another £400 in fees. Fair enough, that's life. I offered to pay to get it sorted. No no, not needed Mr Dangerously that will just be added to your fees. 

Today I get an email saying it's not sorted yet and they're waiting on a list of fees from the schemes solicitors that I need to pay straight away. I've just sent over the list of fees that Ive had since August and my offer to pay there and then. 

Every step is a fight. Everyone is going half arsed on this and I'm having to use my whole arse, plus another half of an arse to keep them on track. It's a fucking scam considering the fees they'll be charging me at the end of all this, and the retaining fee to get them on board. 

• Upvote 5

On 24/10/2020 at 06:34, VladimirIlyich said:

'Mufti day?' I've never heard it called that before. It was simply 'own clothes day' when my kids were at school. That was about 15 years ago now though.

Was going to say, if you're going to get bullied for anything where I went it would have been calling it "mufti".

2 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Never heard of it, sounds like a Muslim cleric, what's it short for? It was always mischief night as kids. 

You've hit the nail on the head there slippy. From google:

"It was what was worn by an Islamic scholar, AKA, a Mufti. Mufti is an Arabic term, and it came to be slang to refer to the off-duty officers not being in uniform, before eventually becoming the official name for no-uniform days in Australia and a few other countries."

Yes, the Mrs used to do house renovations to sell and I was always surprised that you could buy a shithole for £40k or so at auction and get £450 rent, but houses worth about £250k were about £750 rental.

Obviously potentially different types of tenant and more maintenance issues of course

Got massive respect for people who reverse park ceremonially, at a seemingly impossible to still be moving glacial pace fucking 37 point manoeuvre, blithely holding half a dozen or more cars in a supermarket car park up for minutes on end, when there are abundant spaces to easily drive into.

Heaven forbid you might not be able to drive forwards out of a parking space once or twice a year, exposing yourself to a level of danger otherwise only seen when speeding down the Yungas Road blindfolded on a unicycle. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Got massive respect for people who reverse park ceremonially, at a seemingly impossible to still be moving glacial pace fucking 37 point manoeuvre, blithely holding half a dozen or more cars in a supermarket car park up for minutes on end, when there are abundant spaces to easily drive into.

Heaven forbid you might not be able to drive forwards out of a parking space once or twice a year, exposing yourself to a level of danger otherwise only seen when speeding down the Yungas Road blindfolded on a unicycle. 

One of my biggest bugbears is that I always park in plenty of space. I'll happily drive to the very edge of a car park to find a spot that's easy to get in and out of. Yet you often come out to find some cunt has parked next to you. There's literally nothing for miles around you save for this beige fucking Kia sportage. It's like something out of the twilight zone, like if I opened the door it'd be a black version of me wearing a nazi uniform.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

One of my biggest bugbears is that I always park in plenty of space. I'll happily drive to the very edge of a car park to find a spot that's easy to get in and out of. Yet you often come out to find some cunt has parked next to you. There's literally nothing for miles around you save for this beige fucking Kia sportage. It's like something out of the twilight zone, like if I opened the door it'd be a black version of me wearing a nazi uniform.

Usually a fuckin van,bus or fuckin big caravanette too.

21 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I hate driving absolutely fucking hate it.

It's shit in this country but probably boss in others. I like driving open roads in places like Wales but most British roads are falling to bits and congested.

I've always liked the idea of having a motorbike but don't see the point over here for those reasons. Route 66 yes, getting clipped by white vans in the rain, no.

Just now, Tj hooker said:

Haha that was his jingle when he was on Radio 1 Ooh Gary Davies on your radio but your right Ken Bruce is definitely Britain's best jock 

He's so bad. Some woman asked for a signed picture after her round the other day and she kind of tased as she was finishing the sentence.... she clearly wanted it to be Ken Bruce ! Ken soothes my brain in the late mornings. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He's so bad. Some woman asked for a signed picture after her round the other day and she kind of tased as she was finishing the sentence.... she clearly wanted it to be Ken Bruce ! Ken soothes my brain in the late mornings. 

Can't say I blame her he's different class is our Ken 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's shit in this country but probably boss in others. I like driving open roads in places like Wales but most British roads are falling to bits and congested.

I've always liked the idea of having a motorbike but don't see the point over here for those reasons. Route 66 yes, getting clipped by white vans in the rain, no.

I still haven't learnt how to drive and am now 40, maybe I never will, hate lessons and can't afford them at the moment. But driving motorbikes in Vietnam and Thailand? Fucking brilliant. 

• Upvote 1