You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Have a rant thread

Sugar Ape

Having grown up on the mean streets of the Welsh Valleys learning to drive was a must as public transport is poor, especially trains, and you couldn't even get down to Swansea/the Gower without having to go 20 miles the other way first. So I kind of understand why people in large cities like London don't learn to drive because TFL is pretty comprehensive.

The only thing I've never quite got is the 17-19 year olds who never learn to drive, irrespective of where they live. It's your first real grasp of freedom and I couldn't wait to get my own car and do what I wanted when I wanted. I have people who work for me in their 30s and above who can't drive and think how shit life is for them as East Midlands public transport is dogshit (Nottingham's tram system and the 90 min train ride to London St Pancras excepted).

It's pants driving almost anywhere any time of the day in the UK in my opinion. If the motorway isnt a car park, it's chugging along at less than 60. Main roads are full of standing traffic during most daylight hours and streets in towns and cities are full of people driving less than a mile to take their kids to and from school.

Instead of spending hundreds of billions of pounds on HS2 and 3 (ho, ho, ho!), spend it on getting more freight back on the railway and building freight reception and distrubution hubs.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Having grown up on the mean streets of the Welsh Valleys learning to drive was a must as public transport is poor, especially trains, and you couldn't even get down to Swansea/the Gower without having to go 20 miles the other way first. So I kind of understand why people in large cities like London don't learn to drive because TFL is pretty comprehensive.

The only thing I've never quite got is the 17-19 year olds who never learn to drive, irrespective of where they live. It's your first real grasp of freedom and I couldn't wait to get my own car and do what I wanted when I wanted. I have people who work for me in their 30s and above who can't drive and think how shit life is for them as East Midlands public transport is dogshit (Nottingham's tram system and the 90 min train ride to London St Pancras excepted).

I had lessons when I was 17 that my grandma paid for. After I had had maybe 12 lessons, perhaps it was expected I would have passed by then, but I was on my own and ran out of money. No family car and not a huge need to drive, I cycled everywhere anyway and sometimes took the bus. Wish I had learnt then though as I enjoyed the lessons more, things seemed to stick a lot better at that age and the lessons were only £12 at the time, but earning £3.30ph and my shit part time job wasn't going to cover that. 

Maybe if I had been a petrolhead or lived in a rural area like you I would have had the sufficient motivation to work long hours to make sure I pass. 

What makes less sense in all fairness is why I didn't try to learn from when I finished uni up until about 36. 

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

I had lessons when I was 17 that my grandma paid for. After I had had maybe 12 lessons, perhaps it was expected I would have passed by then, but I was on my own and ran out of money. No family car and not a huge need to drive, I cycled everywhere anyway and sometimes took the bus. Wish I had learnt then though as I enjoyed the lessons more, things seemed to stick a lot better at that age and the lessons were only £12 at the time, but earning £3.30ph and my shit part time job wasn't going to cover that. 

Maybe if I had been a petrolhead or lived in a rural area like you I would have had the sufficient motivation to work long hours to make sure I pass. 

What makes less sense in all fairness is why I didn't try to learn from when I finished uni up until about 36. 

There's a good point here. Putting off learning isn't going to help financially, it's only ever going to get more expensive to learn to drive.

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

There's a good point here. Putting off learning isn't going to help financially, it's only ever going to get more expensive to learn to drive.

On the same token, expecting a current teenager to have a grand to spend on learning in Tory Britain is a big ask. 

Both myself and my sister learned to drive really early on, dad was a mechanic for a touring car privateer who had is own land with a tarmac test area so whilst they were fixing or testing the race cars he would let us use his car on the track got get used to driving. 

As a result as soon as I turned 17 I had no more than 10 lessons at 12 quid a go and passed first time, my sister was similar the year after, unfortunately my younger brother never got the benefit of driving before 17 and also got hit with doing theory exams and he must have failed the theory about 3 times and the practical about the same, cost my mum and dad a fortune to get him his licence.

My eldest is 16, I have offered to take him out somewhere to get used to a car and but no interest in learning to drive so I'm almost going to force him once he turns 17 because as others said, it will only get more expensive the longer you leave it.

On 15/09/2021 at 03:18, Section_31 said:

I had a chat to her on the way home, I couldn't hide it I was so fed up, and she's said she'll get a taxi, she's not being funny about it but said she can tell I'm miffed. I do feel like shit now like, plus I don't see how it's sustainable financially.

How would she go on a scooter?  Cheap to buy and run, don't need a full licence (maybe you do these days) can carry a few books and that.

Plus she can have races with the 16 year old lads after school trying to impress the 14 year old girls.

14 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

dad was a mechanic for a touring car privateer

Who? And does he have any photos or any related memorabilia kicking about?

If it's 80's or early 90's in particular I love all that stuff. Before the BTCC became identikit shitboxes with driving standards that wouldn't look out of place in a demolition derby. 

I love a rant about bins, proper old man territory but today I'm raging.

Cleaned out my blue recycling bin last week and it was getting  emptied this morning, I'm working from home so seen the bin truck turn up and empty the bins, the man puts mine and next doors bin in the path outside.

I go out five minutes ago to retrieve my bin and put on the drive but in the time between it being emptied and now some scruffy twat has taken it upon themselves to use my bin to dispose of a large McDonald's bag full of empty food boxes etc but aslo thrown in two large half drunk coffee's so when thrown in the coffee has gone everywhere in the bin turning all the paper soggy and leaving a big bath of coffee at the bottom.

Fucking fuming, would have loved to have seen the pond life scum that did this.

• Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Cleaned out my blue recycling bin last week and it was getting  emptied this morning, I'm working from home so seen the bin truck turn up and empty the bins, the man puts mine and next doors bin in the path outside.

I go out five minutes ago to retrieve my bin and put on the drive but in the time between it being emptied and now some scruffy twat has taken it upon themselves to use my bin to dispose of a large McDonald's bag full of empty food boxes etc but aslo thrown in two large half drunk coffee's so when thrown in the coffee has gone everywhere in the bin turning all the paper soggy and leaving a big bath of coffee at the bottom.

Cunts to a man. In the States some fucker would sue McDonalds for that 

57 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Obviously, they should have taken their rubbish home with them, but it could have been worse, they could have just lashed it on the pavement or in someone’s garden. At least they binned it, albeit in someone else’s bin. Scruffy twats, though not as scruffy as some.

6 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Obviously, they should have taken their rubbish home with them, but it could have been worse, they could have just lashed it on the pavement or in someone’s garden. At least they binned it, albeit in someone else’s bin. Scruffy twats, though not as scruffy as some.

No, not having that. They're doing half the job and leaving it for me to clean up after them, about 50 yards along the road there is a normal street bin so could have used that instead of throwing non-recycleable stuff (food and coffee) in what is clearly a domestic recycling bin.

They're like the dog walkers who pick up the shit and hand the bag off branches, hedges or fences, again for some other poor fucker to deal with.

Just wankers.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

No, not having that. They're doing half the job and leaving it for me to clean up after them, about 50 yards along the road there is a normal street bin so could have used that instead of throwing non-recycleable stuff (food and coffee) in what is clearly a domestic recycling bin.

They're like the dog walkers who pick up the shit and hand the bag off branches, hedges or fences, again for some other poor fucker to deal with.

Just wankers.

Oh, right, I agree, they should have carried it the extra 50 yards and put it in the correct bin.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Just wankers.

• Upvote 2

Izzy had a verruca on the inside of her big toe. It was pretty minging. We went to a podiatrist (£60 for the consultation) who said it would require 3 treatments costing £150 each to get rid of it. I dropped the wife and Izzy off at the appointment and didn’t know it was costing me £60 and they were in there less than 5 mins. When the wife told me what they’d said I was having none of it. 

We then spoke to a family from who’s a chiropodist, they said leave it alone. It will fall off. 3 weeks later it’s fallen off and that cheeky cunt want £510. I’m fuming. 

• Upvote 1