You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Have a rant thread

Sugar Ape

31 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Don't even go there, it's in no way comparable. I'm sat watching a 9/11 documentary absolutely raging at the thought of some cunt chewing. Cheers 

‘Breaks my heart to think how terrible things must have been if jumping to their deaths was a better opti..THAT FUCKING CUNT IN THE SILENT CARRIAGE HAS GOT HIS FUCKING TOES OUT.’

• Upvote 2

Went to watch the start of the Tour of Britain cycle race in Penzance yesterday. The Mrs loves it , we got there a couple of hours before the start and she was chatting with Mark Cavendish and a few others. It means nothing to me but its her thing and I was happy to go along with it.

The thing I don't get is all the middle aged turning up to watch with their bikes in all the lycra gear. I was looking at them stood there by the side of the road thinking how fucking strange it all was. Its like an overweight bloke going to the match with a full kit on, including boots whilst bouncing a ball. Weirdos.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, A Red said:

Went to watch the start of the Tour of Britain cycle race in Penzance yesterday. The Mrs loves it , we got there a couple of hours before the start and she was chatting with Mark Cavendish and a few others. It means nothing to me but its her thing and I was happy to go along with it.

The thing I don't get is all the middle aged turning up to watch with their bikes in all the lycra gear. I was looking at them stood there by the side of the road thinking how fucking strange it all was. Its like an overweight bloke going to the match with a full kit on, including boots whilst bouncing a ball. Weirdos.

Always remember Jimmy Greaves commenting on people doing that while watching sport.

’I enjoy watching Grand Prix, but I don’t sit in front of the television in a Bacofoil suit with a goldfish bowl on my head’.

6 minutes ago, A Red said:

They had probably ridden there on their bikes.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Justice Negs said:

Always remember Jimmy Greaves commenting on people doing that while watching sport.

’I enjoy watching Grand Prix, but I don’t sit in front of the television in a Bacofoil suit with a goldfish bowl on my head’.

You’re missing out. It definitely adds something to the watching experience and almost certainly makes you more attractive to women to boot. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, A Red said:

It’s to show the balls off 

I don’t mind people who want to do (within reason) what they want even if it’s cycling in Lycra it’s the whiff of superiority they have that wishes they’d put cycle lanes in the middle lane of the M1. Sweaty bastards 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

It’s to show the balls off 

I don’t mind people who want to do (within reason) what they want even if it’s cycling in Lycra it’s the whiff of superiority they have that wishes they’d put cycle lanes in the middle lane of the M1. Sweaty bastards 

I was out on my road bike on Saturday, no hint of lycra, just t-shirt and shorts. I took great pleasure in catching and overtaking four of the full kit mob on the road up and over the Runcorn bridge.

Not that I'm competitive. Much.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I was out on my road bike on Saturday, no hint of lycra, just t-shirt and shorts. I took great pleasure in catching and overtaking four of the full kit mob on the road up and over the Runcorn bridge.

Not that I'm competitive. Much.

This. I have a road bike and enjoy going out on it if I ever get a couple of hours to myself. 

I don’t need to dress like a cunt though. I’m a balding, overweight bloke in his 40’s. I look a big enough cunt already. 

• Upvote 1

Need an objective opinion on this one as can't figure out if I'm being OTT or this is genuinely shit. 

The Mrs can't drive, so I have to drive her to work and pick her up. As she works in a school I have to get up at 6am every morning to take her and it absolutely knackers me out. This is the case if I'm off work, on holiday, or for a few months last year when I was freelancing. 

I also pick her up, which means if we ever get an early dart in work there's no point me going home, I just end up meandering around the shops until it's time to pick her up. 

This had been getting me down as I'd had a couple of jobs where I'd been essentially doing long hours to accommodate this, going in earlier than I had to and/or coming home later, so I could drive her.  

I started a new job a couple of months back and have been going in to the office twice a week, which I've enjoyed, but have already had to change my hours and go in earlier than everyone else. I'm so early the building isn't even open, so I have to go and get a coffee and wait for someone to open up. 

It sounds trivial but it's actually impacting my mental health. My mood absolutely nosedived when she went back to school after the holidays as I don't feel like 'I've got my job' and 'she's got hers', I feel like they're both entwined. If someone ever invited me out for Friday drinks or whatever. I'd have to have notice because I'd be clock watching. 

Even if I change jobs, stop working, whatever, my entire day is going to be topped and tailed by her timetable. If I go out for the day, I'll have to get back.  

Thing is, she gets teacher holidays and I don't. I could conceivably be getting up at 6am for the rest of my working life- even if I win the lottery.

She's never asked for a lift, nor does she expect me to do it, she's offered to get cabs. She did get the bus briefly a few years back but had to take suitcases of books up a hill to the bus stop in the pitch black, and I put a stop to it -  you can't really let your Mrs do that can you?

We'd had a chat about this a couple of years back and she started getting a lift with a colleague in the morning, which was all fine, that ended due to covid bubbles and the colleague has since retired, so I'm back doing it again.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Need an objective opinion on this one as can't figure out if I'm being OTT or this is genuinely shit. 

The Mrs can't drive, so I have to drive her to work and pick her up. As she works in a school I have to get up at 6am every morning to take her and it absolutely knackers me out. This is the case if I'm off work, on holiday, or for a few months last year when I was freelancing. 

I also pick her up, which means if we ever get an early dart in work there's no point me going home, I just end up meandering around the shops until it's time to pick her up. 

This had been getting me down as I'd had a couple of jobs where I'd been essentially doing long hours to accommodate this, going in earlier than I had to and/or coming home later, so I could drive her.  

I started a new job a couple of months back and have been going in to the office twice a week, which I've enjoyed, but have already had to change my hours and go in earlier than everyone else. I'm so early the building isn't even open, so I have to go and get a coffee and wait for someone to open up. 

It sounds trivial but it's actually impacting my mental health. My mood absolutely nosedived when she went back to school after the holidays as I don't feel like 'I've got my job' and 'she's got hers', I feel like they're both entwined. If someone ever invited me out for Friday drinks or whatever. I'd have to have notice because I'd be clock watching. 

Even if I change jobs, stop working, whatever, my entire day is going to be topped and tailed by her timetable. If I go out for the day, I'll have to get back.  

Thing is, she gets teacher holidays and I don't. I could conceivably be getting up at 6am for the rest of my working life- even if I win the lottery.

She's never asked for a lift, nor does she expect me to do it, she's offered to get cabs. She did get the bus briefly a few years back but had to take suitcases of books up a hill to the bus stop in the pitch black, and I put a stop to it -  you can't really let your Mrs do that can you?

We'd had a chat about this a couple of years back and she started getting a lift with a colleague in the morning, which was all fine, that ended due to covid bubbles and the colleague has since retired, so I'm back doing it again.

I don't think you're over-reacting at all mate. How far away is the school? Sorry if I missed something obvious but has she thought about taking lessons? It obviously can't go on if it's getting you down. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't think you're over-reacting at all mate. How far away is the school? Sorry if I missed something obvious but has she thought about taking lessons? It obviously can't go on if it's getting you down. 

The school is about five/six miles away, it's 'sort of' on my way to work. She failed three times so has just decided she's done with it forever, she's quite stubborn like that. 

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It sounds trivial but it's actually impacting my mental health.

This is the main point and communication is key.  If she doesn’t understand, then try and help her understand. 

The responsibility (the doing) itself is clearly having an impact, but so will not addressing it.

I’m sure your long term health and wellbeing is more important to her than lifts every day. 

Just now, Section_31 said:

The school is about five/six miles away, it's 'sort of' on my way to work. She failed three times so has just decided she's done with it forever, she's quite stubborn like that. 

There has to be a compromise mate. Bus on days she doesn't have to take a shit load of books in, taxis if you're on holiday or have plans. Seriously if it's impacting with your mental health you need to find a compromise right away. You're not in the wrong by raising it and I don't get the feeling she would think that either. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

This is the main point and communication is key.  If she doesn’t understand, then try and help her understand. 

The responsibility (the doing) itself is clearly having an impact, but so will not addressing it.

I’m sure your long term health and wellbeing is more important to her than lifts every day. 

Oh, she'd have absolutely no problem getting cabs and busses, she'd never be funny with me about it, I just feel like it'd be a bit shit of me, especially when it's dark. 

I have a tendency in life to put everyone else first, did it for years with my mum and others, I rarely, if ever, say no. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

There has to be a compromise mate. Bus on days she doesn't have to take a shit load of books in, taxis if you're on holiday or have plans. Seriously if it's impacting with your mental health you need to find a compromise right away. You're not in the wrong by raising it and I don't get the feeling she would think that either. 

'Should' it be impacting my mental health though? Or am I just already p*ssed off about something underlying and this is just wood on the fire? Or is it a legitimately pissed-offable offence. 

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I have a tendency in life to put everyone else first, did it for years with my mum and others, I rarely, if ever, say no. 

I’m pretty sure you know enough about this kind of thing to know that this can be a trigger to mental health issues, particularly over the longer term. 

Maybe try and reframe the ‘no’ into something more positive. Putting a stop to the current routine, effectively saying no, is you saying that your health is a far more important component to the sustainable happiness you will both get from your relationship than carrying on with something that is impacting it negatively.

It doesn’t mean you will never give her a lift again, it doesn’t mean you might not put yourself out to do so, but you will be free of a commitment that ultimately might cause you both harm.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

'Should' it be impacting my mental health though? Or am I just already p*ssed off about something underlying and this is just wood on the fire? Or is it a legitimately pissed-offable offence. 

I'd be pissed off with having to do it everyday mate. Getting up at 6am then having to hang around later on as well, getting into work before the buildings even open etc would really get me down. 

You aren't in anyway being irrational 

22 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

There’s no answer to that. Anything can be the thing that impacts on your mental health.

I agree with the shouts above. Get the bus where she can, get a taxi when needed, give her a life some days when it suits you both. 

she also ought to try and learn to drive still. 3 failed tests or not. Long term that’ll be in her and your best interests.

• Upvote 2