You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I agree McClaren wasn't the right man for the job. Not sure Redknapp is either.

Wonder if Benitez will be in the frame for this or the Spurs job should Arry leave?

I agree with your first para.But wonder who is?

Levy controls all transfers and the Club at Spurs. Its a re-run of Inter Milan, i can't see that suiting Rafa.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Benitez would suit England.

He would make them tough to beat and he is a brilliant coach, which is what England need with the weeks before a tournament.

England have some of the best defenders in the world, Parker is a very good defensive midfielder and then on the counter attack they have Rooney and Gerrard - two players who would get in nearly any team in the world. Benitez won us a European Cup by doing this!

A manager is talking out of school by expressing disappointment about someone else deciding who captains his team?The FA deserves Hodgson.

He didn't get it Skaro. This is the National team with a media circus second to none, not a club team. Capello simply did not understand the consequences of his actions.

He didn't get it Skaro. This is the National team with a media circus second to none, not a club team. Capello simply did not understand the consequences of his actions.

I don't get it either.

This is just another version of the Suarez crap.

It's bullshit.

The FA is bullshit.

They didn't want to go to a World Cup until 1950 because they thought it was below them.

Xenophobic bullshit artists then. And now.

I'm not sure I agree, the media is far worse in italy and spain. At least according to the managers who've managed here and there. There is no bigger media circus than real madrid after all.

The problem here is little to do with Capello, it is once again that the FA are far more interested in managing media narratives than they are football. They are more interested in perception than reality (of football). They lack any kind of vision or strategy and are therefore reduced to a series of discombobulated knee-jerk reactions to other people's copyediting deadlines.

Ladies and gentlemen, I now direct your attention to ring number 3....

Papers now reporting that Pearce allegedly racially abused Ince in 1994.

So they've known about this for 20 years but only mention it as he's taking over the England position? Sad bastards! Winter brought up that Pearce's brother votes for the BNP! I can't image the grief they'd give Rafa if he decided to put his name forward.

Guest davelfc

Ah the circus that surrounds the England job, makes you wonder why anyone would bother. Ok, six million pounds beats a few bad headlines.

Give it to Arry, he seems to be teflon at the moment.

So they've known about this for 20 years but only mention it as he's taking over the England position? Sad bastards! Winter brought up that Pearce's brother votes for the BNP! I can't image the grief they'd give Rafa if he decided to put his name forward.

F*** me, tell me Rafa doesn't vote for the Greens !!

I think Benitez would be a superb international manager, because he's a big game winner, or rather, he doesn't tend to lose big games.

The only way Benitez wouldn't work as the England manager would be because of the players not liking him, or Benitez being underminded by a couple of the players and that spreading to the key players, then the whole team. In the main, we've got a group of players with a disgustingly high level of entitlement and self-worth.

It's testament to how average the England players are on the whole, when someone like Oxlade-Chamberlain can go from a very good player in League One, to a key member of the England team, all in the space of 12 months, at the age of 18. He's a very good player, don't get me wrong, but he's not Messi, or Xavi, or Iniesta, or anywhere near that level, and those are the type of players who burst onto the scene at 18 and usurp international class players. Chamberlain has strolled into the England set-up and is now considered an equal, or better, of Lampard, Barry, and maybe even Gerrard.

I heard, and was surprised by, rumours a couple of weeks ago that Benitez had his eye on the England role. I don't think he'd ever get it due to his relationship with 'the media', but let's be honest about that statement, it should read 'due to his relationship with Barclay, Samuel, and Holt'. That's the crying, weeping, incredible truth of it, is that those three select the England manager.

I'm not sure I agree, the media is far worse in italy and spain. At least according to the managers who've managed here and there. There is no bigger media circus than real madrid after all.

The problem here is little to do with Capello, it is once again that the FA are far more interested in managing media narratives than they are football. They are more interested in perception than reality (of football). They lack any kind of vision or strategy and are therefore reduced to a series of discombobulated knee-jerk reactions to other people's copyediting deadlines.

I accept that the daily sports coverage in Italy and Spain can be just as intense, fair comment.

The FA’s bungling normally is a matter of record, but that does not mean that they are always wrong. In this case I think that Capello handled the situation badly.

I agree that normally a manager should be allowed to manage when it comes to picking his team and captain, and also that an individual should be presumed innocent, until found guilty.

But the/ a national side is different, it is a representative side, of a country, it is not about the individuals. Terry is free to say “I am innocent, want to clear my name, and should not suffer from a groundless allegation”.

However I think that when you say “once again that the FA are far more interested in managing media narratives than they are football,” i think you have it the wrong way round.

On a footballing basis Ferdinand is being asked to play , physically, next to a player who allegedly called his brother a fucking black cunt (not nice in print is it?), and then a liar?And share a dressing room, hotel and training ground. How will Micah Richards, Glen Johnson, Darren bent and Ashley Young feel about that?

Terry is by all accounts a charismatic captain who will have his supporters too, so you instantly have a divided dressing room. The stage was set at every game for Anton supporters to be briefing against Terry, for photos suggesting this and that to be released, for every result and incident to be placed against the backdrop of a divided camp.

Playing for your country is an honour, and a privilege. I think that Terry is an odious scumbag. But, if he had possessed the decency to announce that he was making himself unavailable for selection for England, to enable him to defend his case and to avoid any unnecessary publicity and problems that his presence might have caused – it would have been he first decent thing he has done in a very long time.

The FA were in an impossible position, and even his presence in the squad is a fudge. A strong FA would have told him that he either announces his unavailability-or he is simply not selected. There are numerous jobs where serious allegations result in suspension.

Terry should do the decent thing and make himself unavailable – there is still time.

I think Benitez would be a superb international manager, because he's a big game winner, or rather, he doesn't tend to lose big games.

The only way Benitez wouldn't work as the England manager would be because of the players not liking him, or Benitez being underminded by a couple of the players and that spreading to the key players, then the whole team. In the main, we've got a group of players with a disgustingly high level of entitlement and self-worth.

It's testament to how average the England players are on the whole, when someone like Oxlade-Chamberlain can go from a very good player in League One, to a key member of the England team, all in the space of 12 months, at the age of 18. He's a very good player, don't get me wrong, but he's not Messi, or Xavi, or Iniesta, or anywhere near that level, and those are the type of players who burst onto the scene at 18 and usurp international class players. Chamberlain has strolled into the England set-up and is now considered an equal, or better, of Lampard, Barry, and maybe even Gerrard.

I heard, and was surprised by, rumours a couple of weeks ago that Benitez had his eye on the England role. I don't think he'd ever get it due to his relationship with 'the media', but let's be honest about that statement, it should read 'due to his relationship with Barclay, Samuel, and Holt'. That's the crying, weeping, incredible truth of it, is that those three select the England manager.

I agree with you about Rafa’s strengths suiting international management. As a tournament manager I think he would do a very good job.

I think that you underestimate his credentials for the England job. He has performed on the European stage with Valencia and us in Cup tournaments, and won. Something that Harry has never done, and Rafa has far more experience of. Furthermore Rafa’s success at Valencia and with us was in the short term, as an impact manager, that is when he won his trophies. I think that he would be an excellent choice for a two tournament, two year contract. A smart move by the FA could be Rafa for the Euros on a tournament only contract, and a new man after, leaving Rafa free to pick up a club job and a new man time to restructure the squad (Lampard and Terry and probably Barry are not Brazil bound).

Rafa’s media difficulties are largely in the past and were a combination of circumstance and bad judgement. He is a football obsessive, he arrived in a foreign country with a rudimentary grasp of the language and reasoned that he would let his football do the talking so as not to make Capelloesque gaffes. It worked. And initially the press forgave him his silence and liked his mystery because he was successful. But when things started to go wrong, and the politicking surfaced he didn’t change – and he became vulnerable. And if you don’t make your point, then others do it for you – a lesson our press office ( who were abysmal at supporting him) have yet to learn.

After a year out, and with no day to day stresses, and after six years living in this country rafa cuts not only a far more relaxed figure, but I think is much more confident and aware of the media side of things, and would be far better now than he was then, as his recent interviews in print, and on television, show.

I agree McClaren wasn;t the right man for the job. Not sure Redknapp is either.

Wonder if Benitez will be in the frame for this or the Spurs job should Arry leave?

some of them Spurs players could become fantastic under a tactical manager as good as Rafa, whether he could keep moral like Redknapp has it is a different matter

There's no way in arsefuckery that Rafa will ever be within a million miles of the England job - of course that is a reflection on "them" (media/FA/more media) than him. Spain job maybe, should Del Bosque either quit or have Real come grovelling back to him.

What I'm going to say now, I find quite sad as I've always considered myself mildly patriotic, to the point where I'd refuse point blank to answer the question when I was younger "who do you support more, club or country?", I had the same passion for both and since they could never meet in competition I never saw a conflict.

But these days I really find it hard to give a shit about England, maybe when the big tournament rolls around I'll get dragged into it like I always do, but even the World Cup 2010, I wasn't that arsed (or as much as in the past)

The tipping point was probably Hodgson's appointment here and all the fuss made about "going English" in the media, and while like a few others I've been thinking yeah let's hope Woy gets it so the rest of the country has to suffer too, in the past I'd never have felt like that.

Redknapp will get it though - all media bias aside, it's hard to argue against the fact that he's the best English manager out there right now, "best" being a relative term, of course.

Why doesn't that surprise me, Funneeeee.

Mind you, you could well be right.

I accept that the daily sports coverage in Italy and Spain can be just as intense, fair comment.

The FA’s bungling normally is a matter of record, but that does not mean that they are always wrong. In this case I think that Capello handled the situation badly.

I agree that normally a manager should be allowed to manage when it comes to picking his team and captain, and also that an individual should be presumed innocent, until found guilty.

But the/ a national side is different, it is a representative side, of a country, it is not about the individuals. Terry is free to say “I am innocent, want to clear my name, and should not suffer from a groundless allegation”.

However I think that when you say “once again that the FA are far more interested in managing media narratives than they are football,” i think you have it the wrong way round.

On a footballing basis Ferdinand is being asked to play , physically, next to a player who allegedly called his brother a fucking black cunt (not nice in print is it?), and then a liar?And share a dressing room, hotel and training ground. How will Micah Richards, Glen Johnson, Darren bent and Ashley Young feel about that?

Terry is by all accounts a charismatic captain who will have his supporters too, so you instantly have a divided dressing room. The stage was set at every game for Anton supporters to be briefing against Terry, for photos suggesting this and that to be released, for every result and incident to be placed against the backdrop of a divided camp.

Playing for your country is an honour, and a privilege. I think that Terry is an odious scumbag. But, if he had possessed the decency to announce that he was making himself unavailable for selection for England, to enable him to defend his case and to avoid any unnecessary publicity and problems that his presence might have caused – it would have been he first decent thing he has done in a very long time.

The FA were in an impossible position, and even his presence in the squad is a fudge. A strong FA would have told him that he either announces his unavailability-or he is simply not selected. There are numerous jobs where serious allegations result in suspension.

Terry should do the decent thing and make himself unavailable – there is still time.

I agree with most of this but the FA weren't in an impossible position to start with. The could and should have acted swiftly. They washed their hands of the issue initially thinking the courts would do their job for them. Only when Terry's Lawyers managed to manipulate the trial date were they put in an impossible position. Terry is a scumbag and his gameplan came unstuck and I daresay the FA will ensure the new manager doesnt select him .

However the FA are fuckwits . They could have set the agenda at the outset, Terry's trial would have been over and done with and they would probably have kept Capello on board along with Terry had he been found not guilty.Instead of that they are in the moddle of a media shit storm with the European championships looming with no Manager, no Captain and Terry hanging around like a bad smell.

I accept that the daily sports coverage in Italy and Spain can be just as intense, fair comment

Don't disagree with most of that BUT at the end of the day this decision wasn't taken on a point of principle. This is the FA after all that were putting pressure on Anton Ferdinand to shake hands with Terry. They don't care about putting Rio in an awkward position. Jeez, and now they've put Pearce in charge . . .

To me it's a simple case of the FA burying their heads in the sand until the problem went away. Which it didn't.

And seeing the headlines they would be faced with (being very intimately and recently familiar with these issues having been responsible for unleashing just such a shit storm on us) and knowing the manager (like the good king kenny) would not buckle to the media pressure because he felt he could manage the dressing room dynamics (it's his job after all, one that he's been doing longer than the FA people have been selling underwear) they were left with two choices.

Back the manager's footballing judgment and ride out the media storm (the football decision) or remove the catalyst for the negative narratives by cutting the manager off at his knees, in public, and in such a way as to completely undermine him (not a football decision).

To me Capello has done nothing wrong other than to labour under the mistaken presumption that the FA wouldn't interfere with his direct responsibilities merely to manage headlines. How wrong he was.

Until the FA work out that the media needs to be managed, not something that should manage them they will continue to bumble from clusterfuck to clusterfuck as they are now doing. With aplomb.

After the way they handled the suarez affair, I have to say I'm glad karma has decided to intervene on our behalf.

Don't disagree with most of that BUT at the end of the day this decision wasn't taken on a point of principle. This is the FA after all that were putting pressure on Anton Ferdinand to shake hands with Terry. They don't care about putting Rio in an awkward position. Jeez, and now they've put Pearce in charge . . .etc.

A good post in full.

The FA and principle, I am glad that you did not put those words in the same sentence!