You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Batistuta

Section_31

What a beast he was. He always reminded me of an English centre forward, skillful yes - but it was all about the goals and the power with him. He loved the game too, as all the best strikers do - like a kid with a can.

His loyalty to Fiorentina was hugely impressive too.

When his club Fiorentina was relegated to Serie B in 1993, Batistuta stayed with the club and helped it return to the top-flight league a year later. A popular sporting figure in Florence, the Fiorentina fans erected a life-size bronze statue of him in 1996, in recognition of his performances for Fiorentina.[1] He never won the Italian league with Fiorentina, but when he moved to Roma in 2000, he finally won the Serie A championship to crown his career in Italy. He played his last professional season in Qatar with Al-Arabi before he retired in 2005.

Legend.

[YOUTUBE]Te2s3cywAUY[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved him, he was my favourite non-LFC player and one I always hoped we'd go in for.

Used to love watching Football Italia around 1998/99 when Fiorentina were at their peak with Batistuta, Rui Costa, Edmundo, Toldo. Always had a soft spot for them. Until 2010.

I loved him, he was my favourite non-LFC player and one I always hoped we'd go in for.

Used to love watching Football Italia around 1998/99 when Fiorentina were at their peak with Batistuta, Rui Costa, Edmundo, Toldo. Always had a soft spot for them. Until 2010.

Same here. Because of the European ban there was something 'other worldly' about Italian football, it was (and is) almost a completely different game with different values of what is and isn't considered a good match, plus you weren't getting to see these players week in and week out because it was only the mancs playing in the CL and there were still relatively few foreign players in the league, most of them in the arse end of their careers, so it was all the more fascinating to see. The late 90s Juventus team is one of my all time favourites, probably my 'second' favourite side after Liverpool. Worthy of their own thread really.

One of the greatest strikers of all time imo. Football was blessed with a lot of absolutely top class strikers in the 90's. Batistuta (along with Ronaldo) was the best of them.

Remember Abel Balbo at Roma around the same time? He was brilliant too from what i remember.

Gazzetto with James Richardson on a sunday morning was essential TV back in the day

James Richardson is my favourite sports presenter. Footbaall Italia was quality

Strikers in Serie A i remember in the 90's. Papin, Batigol, Vieri, Del piero, Chiesa, Crespo, Signori, Zola, Mancini, Ronaldo, Balbo, Inzaghi, Montella, Vialli, Simone to name a few

Rumour had it the other week that Richardson was being hired by ESPN for their Serie A coverage. I was delighted. Turned out to be bullshit though.

He has been relegated to presenting 'The Worlds Strongest Man' on channel 5 now which is disappointing.

Rumour had it the other week that Richardson was being hired by ESPN for their Serie A coverage. I was delighted. Turned out to be bullshit though.

He has been relegated to presenting 'The Worlds Strongest Man' on channel 5 now which is disappointing.

He was defo on in the studio during a game recently. I saw him with my very own eyes. although he defo wasn't on before the Milan match at the weekend, so not sure what the story is there.

He was defo on in the studio during a game recently. I saw him with my very own eyes. although he defo wasn't on before the Milan match at the weekend, so not sure what the story is there.

It must have happened then, but only for one game. Bummer, he should be on there permanently.

James Richardson is my favourite sports presenter. Footbaall Italia was quality

Strikers in Serie A i remember in the 90's. Papin, Batigol, Vieri, Del piero, Chiesa, Crespo, Signori, Zola, Mancini, Ronaldo, Balbo, Inzaghi, Montella, Vialli, Simone to name a few

I agree. Back in the day he was quality. Bit of a smug cockmuncher now, though. Does the guardian podcast and these guys rarely have a good word to say about us