You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If Terry is found guilty, more than the FA will end up looking like Racist apologists!

Notice Piar Power is calling for JT to lose the England captaincy! I am sure he is captain of another team as well.

Isn't Piara Power on some sort of board to do with Chelsea as well? Odd that he would actually come out and say anything as not to rock the boat

Yeah but many of them dug very deep holes and backed themselves into very tight corners going after Suarez. Its hard for the likes of Jason Roberts and Power to turn the other cheek with Terry else their credibility will be shot to pieces.

Probably too late though, they have no credibility really.

But Power can't realistically expect to call for Terry to lose the England captaincy and not Chelsea's. He'd have to be a complete fucking retard to think he could get away with that.

You're dead right but what rankles most people about the Samuel article is the double standards. He nor most of the other baying pack afforded Suarez such a generous time of it.

They are right to call for innocent until proven guilty in Terry's case, but why didn't they do the same for Luis? I know it wasn't a criminal case for him but the point still stands.

I can't argue with that.

The FA found Suarez 'probably' guilty, by the very definition of the word used it is open to question. I do not care if every man in England says he is guilty, what I am against is the 'We think this, if you disagree you are condoning racisim', it is short sighted, arrogant, counter productive and ignorant.

With Terry it is slightly different as he has denied using a racist phrase, meaning the Press can take the 'innocent until proven guilty' line, whereas Suarez admitted he did say it, but their was no racial context, which means they are able to take the 'zero tolerance' approach.

It is pernicious, and reeks of hypocrisy, but I would argue those are two things that the British Media are famous for!

Just saying on Tweeter that the two cases are very different, the burden of proof defines that.

Nobody, after reading the report can understand why Suarez' account was deemed more unreliable than Evra's, even though there were several inconsistencies on bith sides.

But with Terry, the burden of proof is much heavier, that Samuels article re: Suarez was written after he was found guilty, so in one sense he has free reign, but with Terry, he should be presumed innocent until otherwise proven.

So wouldnt 80/20 confirm guilt under a balance of probability then?

I'd say it would.

Exactly for the cps to go to court with his case,and for them to do that means they think theres a high chance of him being guilty.

The FA probability law as we can tell by Suarez case is no were near as high as the cps rule to take a case to court.

There for without the FA even looking at the case they know that by there law he is guilty under FA rules.

So why havent they stripped him of his England captaincy and more to the point why havent the media picked this up either.

Exactly for the cps to go to court with his case,and for them to do that means they think theres a high chance of him being guilty.

The FA probability law as we can tell by Suarez case is no were near as high as the cps rule to take a case to court.

There for without the FA even looking at the case they know that by there law he is guilty under FA rules.

So why havent they stripped him of his England captaincy and more to the point why havent the media picked this up either.

C'mon mate, be reasonable. The papers are not going to run with the line "JT guilty under FA rules" when he hasn't been charged yet. They'd be opening themeselves up to libel/defamation claims if he's found not guilty in the magistrates court.

We all know Terry is being protected, we all know it's incestuous and Suarez suffered from double standards but we just have to suck it up. It's too late to do anything about all of that now.

Since when? (If Terry is found not guilty then the FA have nowhere to go.)The FA might argue that, but they'd have no viable reason to, given the diferrent levels of evidence needed to reach a verdict.

What would the charge be? If it were the same, broadly, as the Criminal charge, and he was found not guilty, why would the FA bring a charge?

I do not believe that there is any precedent, or FA rule, which provides for someone facing an FA charge for an offence which a criminal court has cleared them of guilt.

If I was JT's team, in that situation, I would offer no evidence other than the transcript of the trial.

It is possible that evidence may come up which supports an FA Charge, but not a criminal one.But they would need to word it very carefully so that it did not appear that he was being tried twice.

I think that we are all agreed that a sporting tribunal is not the place to hear cases which may give cause for Criminal Prosecution. I anticipate that with due process, FA rules for those situations will change in the foreseeable future.

Edited by xerxes

All this "We the media can't talk about anything because it's a legal case" and "innocent until proven guilty" - That didn't stop the cunts printing all sorts of shite as soon as there was reports of an alleged incident at the Oldham game. What happened to Innocent until proven Guilty then?

They need Terry at the Euro's as it gives them something to write about and a scapegoat once England fail miserably like they always do. They can't pick on the foreign manager as he'll be gone so they need someone else and Terry will be that someone else.

You'd think Chelsea would have wanted this matter resolved as quickly as possible because he's obviously 'Not Guilty*' (*sarcasam) rather than writing letters to the court to delay proceedings..

They know he's fucked and it's just a damage limitation exercise now.

Guest San Don
Ah, the ignorant bliss of our overseas cousins...

Stay a while longer, Major, and you too will learn the ways of the weighted media.

But, actually, I did speak a little too soon. Pork Pie from the Mail has put down his bedtime-treat Happy Meal long enough to get his sausage fingers onto his keyboard and churn out this little gem. Between courses:

Martin Samuel: Spare us from Strictly Come Racism | Mail Online

I was reading the footie goss via the bbc website at lunchtime. Happen to click on the daily wail and saw bluto's fat, bloated ugly mush in the side bar and some comment about 'spare us.'

So against my better judgement I clicked on it. What a sanctimonious, duplicitous bloated gobshite bluto is. His hypocrisy is truely amazing. I remember thefat fuck pontificating on sunday supplement about Suarez and, the fat fucker now does an absolute somersault over mongo.

Obviously, Suarez was a case of dirty rotten foreigner who needs to be taught a good (english) lesson. Mongo is meanwhile painted the innocent (yeah, Suarez was afforded that luxury by the meedja, wasnt he?).

I hope he chokes on a chip.

He's obviously got some sort of agenda when it comes to Terry (similar to the fawning, nauseous one he used to have with Lampard). I read Samuel quite a bit and, while there are times he's a good writer with some salient points, he's also one of the most blinkered, biased, agenda-driven cunts out there. Going back to his work on The Times, I remember him defending Terry the day after the Moscow Champions League final, when it was obvious to most that he'd spat on Tevez and called him an 'Argie c*nt'. Any quick Google search on 'Martin Samuel and John Terry' would show the number of defensive articles he's written on the blimp-headed motherfucker.

He's also a hypocritical cunt too. I remember him writing a negative piece on Liverpool fans' hasty judgement of Roy Hodgson, around the same he was using his newspaper column to lambast Avram Grant's time at West Ham (Samuel's a West Ham fan you see). Obviously ok for him to do it, but not us.

FA could strip captaincy from Terry

• Pressure grows on board to make decision today

• 'Insulted' Rio Ferdinand talks of 'bad taste in mouth'

Daniel Taylor

The Guardian, Friday 3 February 2012

Mandchester United's Rio Ferdinand, the elder brother of Anton Ferdinand, said on Twitter: 'I feel insulted, woke up with a bad taste in my mouth, it's a goddamn joke!'

David Bernstein, the Football Association chairman, is facing increasing pressure from inside the organisation to remove the England captaincy from John Terry after a day of high-level talks behind the scenes to ascertain whether he should overrule the manager, Fabio Capello.

Bernstein contacted every member of the 12-strong FA board to ask for their individual views on the day that Rio Ferdinand described himself as "insulted" with a "bad taste in my mouth" and Emmanuel Frimpong, Arsenal's 20-year-old Ghanaian, became the first footballer to say the FA's handling of the case would put him off reporting racist abuse.

Ferdinand and Frimpong both used their Twitter accounts to express their anger on the day Bernstein established that at least one FA member wants Terry to lose the captaincy and that the decision should be taken immediately rather than putting it off until the next board meeting on 23 February.

One issue raised to Bernstein is that it would be difficult for the FA to take the moral high ground if any of England players are racially abused by the crowds at the European Championship in June. Other board members believe the FA is in a no-win situation and that, if it removes the captaincy from Terry, it will be accused of prejudging the case and ignoring the principle of innocent until proved guilty.

Capello has previously insisted that he should be the one making the decisions and there is a reluctance to go against the manager. However, a decision could conceivably be fast-tracked if Bernstein and his colleagues agree with Football Against Racism in Europe that Terry should not go to Euro 2012 as captain.

The talks took place on the day it emerged that QPR are unhappy that Terry's trial for allegedly racially abusing Anton Ferdinand during Chelsea's game at Loftus Road in October will not be heard until 9 July. One of Terry's black international team-mates, from another Premier League club, has also spoken to him about the alleged incident, it is claimed.

As for Rio Ferdinand, the five-month wait raises the possibility that he will be asked to partner Terry at the centre of England's defence shortly before a court case in which his younger brother is the alleged victim.

Ferdinand's place in Euro 2012 is not guaranteed because of his injury issues but, if selected, the Manchester United player will have to choose whether he wants to be involved. Ferdinand told his almost two million Twitter followers: "I feel insulted, woke up with a bad taste in my mouth, it's a goddamn joke!"

The 33-year-old, who could come face to face with Terry should the Chelsea defender shake off a knee injury in time, when United play at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, did not specify that he meant the trial delay but the clear insinuation was that he did and his representatives made no attempt during the day to deny it. Ferdinand may now have to decide whether to shake Terry's hand in the pre‑match lineup at Stamford Bridge.

Frimpong, currently on loan at Wolverhampton Wanderers, described the FA as "out of order" and wanted to know "if Anton Ferdinand was in the England team, and was being charged for racism, would the FA wait?" A later message read: "If I ever get racially abused, I wouldn't think of telling the FA. I would rather tell my mum."

Terry denies the charge and has made it clear he has no intention of relinquishing his captaincy despite Jason Roberts, the Reading striker and Kick It Out campaigner, predicting there will be a "toxic" atmosphere within the England squad if he goes to this summer's tournament, to be held in Poland and Ukraine from 8 June to 1 July.

The FA has still not said anything official about a controversy that led Clive Efford, Labour's shadow sports minister, to express his own unease.

"The current uncertainty while John Terry's case waits to be heard helps no one. It would be better for everybody, including John Terry, if the case was heard before Euro 2012 begins," the MP for Eltham said.

"If the FA and Capello feel that there is a danger that going into the championships with this matter unresolved could disrupt the England camp, they should take the best course of action for English football."

FA could strip England captaincy from Terry | Football | The Guardian

Stevie la to takeover the captaincy?

Guest davelfc

It shouldn't be down to the FA or pressure from anywhere else for terry to step down as captain, he should have taken that decision himself.

There's very little decency left in this world, almost none in football. To come out and say that he wants to clear his name, that he is innocent but it would be best if he stood down while he does that would have been the decent thing to do. But what can you expect from this prick, he's as classless as the club he plays for.

I know people will bleat about 'innocent until proved guilty' and all that shite but by being charged for this he can't continue as captain of his country while he defends himself. But then we've seen him lose this before under other circumstances that should have mean't he was never given the captaincy back, seems the FA have very loose morals when it comes to English players.

One of the problems with Terry is that even if he is stripped of the armband he will consider himself the de facto captain and strut round the camp daring anyone to act otherwise.

The horrible bastard did just that in South Africa making life as difficult as possible for Gerrard, splitting the camp, running a campaign against the manager and even giving a press conference at which he said he felt he was still the captain "I was born to lead" and would tell the manager what he thought.

He then said fuck all when Capello asserted his authority.

With Ferdinand having his say the camp will be split anyway if Terry is selected. Capello should drop him, he's past his sell by date anyway and would be a poisonous influence if he goes to the Euros