You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

27 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Accuses John Terry of having a fragile ego, then puts himself at number one. The camel-faced twot. 

Rio was a indeed a much better footballer than John Terry though. John Terry’s lucky to have made his top 5. Carvalho was a far better player than John Terry, and they played behind Makelele, the best DM around.

Top 5:

1. Virgil Van Dijk

2. Rio Ferdinand

3. Sol Campbell

4: Nemanja Vidic

5. Ricardo Carvalho

I hate John Terry as much as the next person, but he was a phenomenal centre back. In the premier league era he was the very best at reading a game and always being in the right position. I just can't agree with the idea that Carvalho carried him.  They were both excellent and complimented each other well, but Terry was much the better CB.

I'd have Terry in first as the best centre back of the Premier League era, closely followed by Vidic.  VVD has a great chance f being first when he's finished playing.

• Upvote 1

He just sums up their fanbase. 

Mancs are tedious bellends. They just bleat on about the Premier League era like nothing else ever happened before it. They never accept anyone else's achievements as valid and harp back to their glory years as a yardstick for everyone.

Their shit knobhead fans just argue all the time on Twatter about everything in a desperate attempt to act relevant or be the best on any random insignificant point. 

They always have to distort everything because they can't handle not being top dogs and bantering everyone else about what they won years ago.

"We won the real treble"

"We've won 13 Premier league titles"

"It was harder to win it back then"

"Sir Alex was the best manager of all time"

"Scholes was better than Gerrard"

"We're the biggest club in the world"

"Old Trafford is the most famous stadium in the world"

Most of them probably don't enjoy footy they just like having bragging rights over other sets of fans.

Him voting for himself just shows how insecure they are and how desperate they are to be as if he voted to Van Dijk all their bellend fans would have been calling him a traitor and off on one telling everyone how harder the game was when Man Utd won everything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Rio was a indeed a much better footballer than John Terry though. John Terry’s lucky to have made his top 5. Carvalho was a far better player than John Terry, and they played behind Makelele, the best DM around.

Top 5:

1. Virgil Van Dijk

2. Rio Ferdinand

3. Sol Campbell

4: Nemanja Vidic

5. Ricardo Carvalho

Kompany was better than all of them bar Virg

Imagine how good Tony Adams would have been if he was sober. He'd still be in my all time Prem top 5 regardless. 

Stam was better than Vidic I reckon. 

Ferdinand and Terry were both superb, just both absolute nobheads.

VVD is better than all of them. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

I hate John Terry as much as the next person, but he was a phenomenal centre back. In the premier league era he was the very best at reading a game and always being in the right position. I just can't agree with the idea that Carvalho carried him.  They were both excellent and complimented each other well, but Terry was much the better CB.

I'd have Terry in first as the best centre back of the Premier League era, closely followed by Vidic.  VVD has a great chance f being first when he's finished playing.

"That blue shirt really brings out your eyes Ricardo"

• Upvote 5

The harder to win it back then arguement is pure bullshit. Especially if you were the club who can pay triple the fees for individual players more than anybody else. Soon as money arrived, Blackburn got a title then came Chelsea and the trophies were even harder to come by and then came city and trophies, titles are damn near impossible to win. Its never ever been harder to win this league. Christ even shite teams have genuine talent in their teams. 

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Imagine how good Tony Adams would have been if he was sober. He'd still be in my all time Prem top 5 regardless. 

Stam was better than Vidic I reckon. 

Ferdinand and Terry were both superb, just both absolute nobheads.

VVD is better than all of them. 

That’s a decent shout to be fair. 

I think though with Vidic that because Torres tore him a new one a few times some of our fanbase decided he was average or overrated. Torres would have put Baresi in his arse he was so good back then. 

6 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I agree that Terry was a superb British style centre half,even if he is a total twat. The best? Not quite,but him and Carvalho were a brilliant partnership. He's definitely higher than Ferdinand in that position though. Ferdinand's problem was that he was a very good technical footballer but not such a great defender. I'd have Carra and especially Hyypia ahead of him as defenders. I'd say Sami was also technically pretty close.

• Upvote 1

Part of being a great player is how you handle yourself on and off the pitch . Terry was a horrible individual that did some despicable things ranging from racist abuse to involvement in ticket scams. He deserves fuck all recognition and if it were up to me should be gone and forgotten . 

Just now, magicrat said:

Part of being a great player is how you handle yourself on and off the pitch . Terry was a horrible individual that did some despicable things ranging from racist abuse to involvement in ticket scams. He deserves fuck all recognition and if it were up to me should be gone and forgotten . 

And knobbing the girlfriend of a teammate. The man is vermin, end of. 

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I agree that Terry was a superb British style centre half,even if he is a total twat. The best? Not quite,but him and Carvalho were a brilliant partnership. He's definitely higher than Ferdinand in that position though. Ferdinand's problem was that he was a very good technical footballer but not such a great defender. I'd have Carra and especially Hyypia ahead of him as defenders. I'd say Sami was also technically pretty close.

Terry always played in a defensive set-up. Ferdinand could have played in Klopps current high line. Terry would have been all at sea. Terry was a better penalty box defender and organiser than Ferdinand.

Virgil is as good as Terry at dominating the box and organising a back 4. He is also as good as Ferdinand (better IMO) at defending high, 1 v 1 and on the ball. 

Van Dijk is so good that teams will change their entire attacking plan when they play us so they don't have to attack down his side. He's the only defender I've seen where an attacker can be one on one with him, no one else bar the keeper to beat, and they might not even try to take him on. I never saw Terry or Ferdinand have that effect.

Also, and this is crucial, he isn't a massive cunt.

• Upvote 1

Don’t forget, Terry also had Makelele in front of him, one of the best DM’s to play in the Premier League and sure he was a tough uncompromising centre back, but I don’t think he was ever as good as he was in his own mind, and the slip on his arse taking that penalty in Moscow just about put the icing on the cake for me.

14 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yes,very probably. But I'd have Terry as a better defender than Ferdinand myself.I wouldn't have Ferdinand that high at all. Excellent player but not a particularly great defender,imo. 

Woodgate was much better than Ferdinand imo but unfortunately he will be in the Daniel Agger category of what could have been 

9 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Terry was a great player..didn't houllier want him at one point?

If anyone was under rated it was henchoz. Same was a rolls Royce of a player but henchoz did a lot under the radar.

Desailly was  also a superb player

One sure-fire way to rile up a Gooner at work is to mention that goal-line handball in the 2001 final. Oh, and "Oweeeeeenn!!".