You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hadn't heard of Ba before Newcastle signed him?

Tiote is a good player. Cisse has played one game and Cabaye about half a season. If we are now judging how good players actually are on that little time frame then we are really into the "Sky generation" of demanding instant gratification and haven't learnt from at least two members of our squad who've gotten tons better during their time at the club.

I only watched Premiership football.

Yeah I had heard of Ba but only because he was at West Ham.

I just can't think of many players (if any) who our scouts have picked up a gem from nowhere. Maybe Coates could be a gem, I guess he was a surpise and has a bright future.

Sunderland got Sessengon - OK he was probably known if you watch French football. But they also took that young winger Mcann from the unknown Irish league - and he scored the winner for them yesterday and looks a real talent.

Surely scouts are meant to find gems from nowhere? As every football fan knows about Carroll, Henderson, Downing etc.

Right, all this talk about Newcastle finding value versus Liverpool wasting a fortune actually boils down to the following:

Newcastle are playing like a side with no expectations heaped upon them. No-one has seriously talked about them as having to try and compete for a Champions League place. If they secure a European place this season, they'll consider it a bonus. They can play with the pressure off, and it makes players better able to express themselves. That (the situation, rather than specifically Newcastle the club itself) is actually the ideal environment for players to settle into this league and show what they're capable of. Players like Ba, Tiote and Cabaye have looked good because they are very good players, but importantly, they've been able to get on with playing without the expectancy that you find at a club like Liverpool.

When Kenny took over last season, bar the first month or so, that scenario was exactly what happened at Liverpool. It is a key reason as to why they seemed better able to express themselves, why they were scoring for fun at times, and why they've found the going tougher this season. There is an expectancy back at Liverpool which had disappeared during Hodgson's reign.

A lot of the players we've signed perhaps haven't looked as effective as those at Newcastle because they've all come to Liverpool from an environment with far fewer expectations than at Liverpool. Like it or not, regardless of how much they cost, that is a massive thing to have to get used to. They all know Liverpool is a massive club, but they've all been taken aback by the scale of the club and the expectancy that comes with it.

So anyone assuming that the likes of Ba or Cabaye would have had exactly the same impact had we got to them first, is living in cloud cuckoo land. It doesn't work like that.

I only watched Premiership football.

Yeah I had heard of Ba but only because he was at West Ham.

I just can't think of many players (if any) who our scouts have picked up a gem from nowhere. Maybe Coates could be a gem, I guess he was a surpise and has a bright future.

Sunderland got Sessengon - OK he was probably known if you watch French football. But they also took that young winger Mcann from the unknown Irish league - and he scored the winner for them yesterday and looks a real talent.

Surely scouts are meant to find gems from nowhere? As every football fan knows about Carroll, Henderson, Downing etc.

Sessegnon has scored 9 league goals in 38 games. If we'd have paid 6 million for him people would be saying that we could have spent it better than this.

McClean has done well but he's only played 8 league games. Lets see what he does when he's played for an actual decent time in the league before we start going overboard on him.

4 outta our current best back 5 cost round 6 million each.

We've become a group of supporters who aren't patient enough to let things develop and always rave about how the grass is always greener.

Guest San Don
De Gea is so shit, what the fuck was that punch

He's not suited to the english game what with the crosses and packed goalmouths.

He's an accident waiting to happen.

We've become a group of supporters who aren't patient enough to let things develop and always rave about how the grass is always greener.

What do you mean by this?

Everyone is behind Dalglish, everyone is happy how we are progressing under him. Just a few of our buys haven't worked out, that happens.

But can you remember when we plucked an unknown gem like Sunderland might have done with that young kid?

What do you mean by this?

Everyone is behind Dalglish, everyone is happy how we are progressing under him. Just a few of our buys haven't worked out, that happens.

But can you remember when we plucked an unknown gem like Sunderland might have done with that young kid?

I mean exactly how it sounds, to be honest, mate. Too many of our fanbase view same levels of performances at different levels depending on if they play for us or not. Players here are talked down because we see their weaknesses and players elsewhere are talked up because we don't see them and only see their strengths.

I doubt any of us have seen anything like enough of that Cabaye, for example, to be that gutted that we missed out on him. He's looked good in bits I've seen but that is it.

None of our buys from last summer have even come close to not working out yet and that is exactly what I mean about instant gratification from signings. We'd rather sign someone to do a job now rather than sign the right player for the next 5/10/15 years. I ain't saying that we've deffo done that but I can't see into the future to say for sure that we haven't either.

Yeah after all of 20 odd games. What a fucking whopper you are.

So far, calm down.

Think every players deserves at least a year.

I mean exactly how it sounds, to be honest, mate. Too many of our fanbase view same levels of performances at different levels depending on if they play for us or not. Players here are talked down because we see their weaknesses and players elsewhere are talked up because we don't see them and only see their strengths.

I doubt any of us have seen anything like enough of that Cabaye, for example, to be that gutted that we missed out on him. He's looked good in bits I've seen but that is it.

None of our buys from last summer have even come close to not working out yet and that is exactly what I mean about instant gratification from signings. We'd rather sign someone to do a job now rather than sign the right player for the next 5/10/15 years. I ain't saying that we've deffo done that but I can't see into the future to say for sure that we haven't either.

Well I agree and disagree.

For example I think Henderson is a good example. Most fans like him, he isn't the finished product yet - but you can see he has talent, he works hard and has a bright future. Bit like Lucas a few years ago, he could develop into a top player. Think most fans can see this.

But we need the short term to be rosey as well, otherwise we'll lose our best players and won't be able to attract better ones.