You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I'd be gutted if we signed Dempsey. Surely we must look to improve during the summer, not go sideways or backwards. Spend the resources we have towards players that will really make a difference.

Sure as hell done enough this season to look like an improvement on us, no?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Young was a dodged bullet last year, glad we never got the conman...

Yeah, we really lucked out with Downing. Phew!

I think Sturridge could be an absolutely brilliant player if he improved his decision making and wasn't as selfish on the ball. If he took off his blinkers then he'd be an excellent player.

I can definitely see us spending between £10-15m on Nathan Dyer or Scott Sinclair in the summer instead of looking outside of the premier league for better value.

Then my support for the current set up goes out the window!

For all the blame some people put on Rafa about him leaving us with a weak squad, Kenny will have us buried 5 feet under when his signings fail for the second year running...

We will win fuck all with this young British talent shite strategy, if aspire to be numero uno then we must also go for the best in the transfer market... At least supplement these youngsters with some world class talent!

Sure as hell done enough this season to look like an improvement on us, no?

Well, looking at statistics maybe. But point being we went down that road last summer with Adam, Downing and Henderson. Good players at their respective clubs, but just not good enough to our requirements IMO.

marin is a huge gamble for chelsea. was overhyped early on in his career but tends to disappear during games and isnt he the 4th- 5th choice in his position for Germany? dont think him signing for chelsea will be that much of a loss for us

he hasnt developed into the player everyone thought he would have done and tailed off a bit but he is only 23 and for five million he is worth a punt.

Fourth or fifth choice for Germany would still get into our team at the moment.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Probably total bullshit, but he is a Liverpool fan. He certainly hasn't progressed at Arsenal the way he looked like he might at Southampton. First thing I'd do is stop playing him wide-right. He had every chance of becoming a terrific striker when he was at Southampton.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I hipe its not true. It would be signng on par with Downing.

I don't agree with that, mate. I was the most vocally opposed to the Downing signing, but this is hugely different. He is a 22 year old lad, fast as fuck, and has some fairly decent stats over the last couple of seasons. Not to mention, he's actually a central player moved out wide because of his pace.

If he was available at a reasonable price, I wouldn't be unhappy.

I hipe its not true. It would be signng on par with Downing.

Except Walcott actually has pace, scores goals and has created loads for Arsenal this season, van Persie imparticular.

Would sign Walcott definitely. He's got the pace we're lacking and can play that right sided role for us or upfront

Guest Numero Veinticinco

13 goals and 9 assists from just 38 games last season. 11 goals and 13 assists so far this season. Wouldn't say that's a terrible replacement for Kuyt.

I think Walcott is better in a counter attacking side, he has been better since Arsenal have turned into a counter attacking side. We aren't really a counter attacking side though so I don't think he's suit our style of play and would struggle to perform consistently here, like what's happened at Arsenal.

We need someone with the pace to beat a man from a standing start because we play higher up the pitch, that 5 metres burst of pace Torres had, not someone who has good pace over a greater distance. Someone who can change direction quickly while sprinting like Lennon not like Walcott who is faster over a distance.

I think Walcott is better in a counter attacking side, he has been better since Arsenal have turned into a counter attacking side. We aren't really a counter attacking side though so I don't think he's suit our style of play and would struggle to perform consistently here, like what's happened at Arsenal.

We need someone with the pace to beat a man from a standing start because we play higher up the pitch, that 5 metres burst of pace Torres had, not someone who has good pace over a greater distance. Someone who can change direction quickly while sprinting like Lennon not like Walcott who is faster over a distance.

Four of our last 5 goals have been counter attacking goals.

Maybe we should do it a bit more, pile men forward at pace, seems to work for United, City, Arsenal, Spurs, actually pretty much all the teams ahead of us have the option to counter attack

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Whilst I agree he's effective in a counter attacking team, due to his incredible pace, I think you're selling his acceleration short. He goes from 0-10000000(ish) incredibly quickly.

He definitely has flaws to his game, but acceleration isn't one of them.

Decision making is his main problem. He often doesn't seem quite on the same wave length as the rest of the Arsenal team. Despite which he still gets a lot of goals and assists.

I think he'd be a reasonable signing for us, as long it wasn't for a ridiculous fee, and as long as we played him either upfront or wide left. He's not a winger.