You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Can't see us going for Dempsey. He's a decent player with a good goalscoring record for a midfielder but there is no obvious place for him in our team. If we are going to go for that kind of player then Sigurdsson might be a better option, although he would cost a lot more (I think Dempsey is out of contract in the summer.)

Can't see us going for Dempsey. He's a decent player with a good goalscoring record for a midfielder but there is no obvious place for him in our team. If we are going to go for that kind of player then Sigurdsson might be a better option, although he would cost a lot more (I think Dempsey is out of contract in the summer.)

he'd be a decent replacement if Maxi goes, on a free

Another point about Dempsey: while I don't think we will be interested in him, a lot of our fans said the same things about McAllister before we signed him. I wouldn't even let age become a factor if he is on a free, to be honest.

Dempsey is out of contract next summer, not this summer, but that doesn't guarantee us securing him for a decent fee. We saw with Downing that even when he didn't even age on his side we still paid over the odds for him. I'd still go for him though, because his versatility is much greater than someone like Sigurdsson and he also seems to avoid picking up injuries unlike some of our attacking options in previous seasons (Torres, Owen, Fowler, Kewell etc).

Sugurdsson will likely cost about £8-10 million as Hoffenheim don't need to sell and he's very popular there. I would be happy to see him here but he tends to play more centrally and we are already overstocked in that position.

I reckon Dempsey would end up the same way Downing has for us, hes an average player whos had probably 2/3 fairly decent seasons now but ultimately hes still fairly average.

We would sign him and his averageness would be exposed for all to see. Mind you I reckon he would score the odd goal which is hardly anything to be scoffed at in our current predicament.

I think at this point though aside from the obvious we need goalscorers, we need pace, power and skill as well. Basically players who put the fear of god into defenders, the Mancs as much as I hate the fuckers have the right blueprint with the likes of Nani and Valencia, hardly world class wingers but they've got the ability to make premier league defenders cack themselves.

35 goals in 99 league games over last 3 seasons for Fulham. (Wiki)

18 goals in 68 league games is Gerrard's equivalent. (Wiki)

Gerrard takes all free kick and penalties for us, i'm not sure if Dempsey or Murphy take those for Fulham. Still, hallmarks of a mediocre player indeed.

Some people fail to realize that he is a good player just because he isn't tagged with wonderkid on FM..

Gerrard takes all free kick and penalties for us, i'm not sure if Dempsey or Murphy take those for Fulham. Still, hallmarks of a mediocre player indeed.

What is the point of this comparison, Marjac?

What is the point of this comparison, Marjac?

They both have similar roles in their respective teams, alternating between center midfield and second striker. I have often been impressed with him when i've watched him closely and i disagree with him being mediocre player. I chose to highlight that with his recent career statistics.

Some people fail to realize that he is a good player just because he isn't tagged with wonderkid on FM..

Surely that doesnt support signing Dempsey. Gerrard 10 x the player Dempsey is but with worse stats. Dont buy players just on stats.

They both have similar roles in their respective teams, alternating between center midfield and second striker. I have often been impressed with him when i've watched him closely and i disagree with him being mediocre player. I chose to highlight that with his recent career statistics.

Fair enough, my friend.

I personally believe he is mediocre and wouldn't improve us. Well not enough to challenge for a top four place. We need to be setting the bar higher than Dempsey in my view.

I reckon Dempsey would end up the same way Downing has for us, hes an average player whos had probably 2/3 fairly decent seasons now but ultimately hes still fairly average.

We would sign him and his averageness would be exposed for all to see. Mind you I reckon he would score the odd goal which is hardly anything to be scoffed at in our current predicament.

I think at this point though aside from the obvious we need goalscorers, we need pace, power and skill as well. Basically players who put the fear of god into defenders, the Mancs as much as I hate the fuckers have the right blueprint with the likes of Nani and Valencia, hardly world class wingers but they've got the ability to make premier league defenders cack themselves.

I would say that Nani and Valencia are both world class wingers - espeially Valencia. Many people (possibly myself included - I don't recall) scoffed at the idea of us signing him on the basis that he only played for Wigan, wasn't likely to improve us, etc. I wish we had him now.

Average might be a bit harsh on him he is a decent player but we need to be aiming higher than him , we need class/quality and pace in our team , it is out there at a decent price just hope our scouts are doing their jobs well, Ngogs post above is spot on , also if hes as good as you think he is why is he still playing for Fulham ?

Surely that doesnt support signing Dempsey. Gerrard 10 x the player Dempsey is but with worse stats. Dont buy players just on stats.

I'm not advocating a straight swap with Gerrard for Dempsey. Though in my opinion Dempsey is far above mediocre. His game intelligence is very good, and i believe that is why he scores so often. He often anticipates rebounds and makes many good runs into the box. I actually think Fulham would have been in a relegation scrap without him.

...should have been bought 12 mnths ago when he looked equally class and would have cost a fuck sight less.

Some fucking scouting system we had under Comolli, the fucking retard.

Aren't Sporting fucked financially...seemly they have to off load this summer? I could be wrong!