You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

A few mentions for Moses, but he hasn't actually been that good this season, he has marginally stood out at a poor Wigan team, but nowhere near as much as either N'Zogbia or Valencia did, who both looked far better in the same role. He may be young with room for improvement, and may be cheap as well, but he is not good enough for what we need right now, and I don't think he will ever be.

According to Soccernet he has 4 goals and 1 assist this season, last year N'zogbia got 10 and 5, the season before he got 7 and 7. We need someone with much more end product than that.

I am not sure if Hoilett is good enough either, but at least he has 7 goals and 6 assists so far this season, and last year he got 6 and 1 from 28 games (21 starts). He would make much more sense.

Even Matt Jarvis has far more end product, 5 goals and 4 assists this season and he has been quite poor compared to last year, when he got 5 and 8.

I've mentioned Lee at Bolton in another thread recently, and last season he got 4 goals and 6 assists.

I am not saying we should buy any of the last 3, but if we want (or need) a cheapie in that role, I think there are far better options than Moses.

And to be honest, I don't know why we would want a cheapish squad player for that position when we will be promoting Sterling anyway, as they will just be taking games from him. We should either get someone top class and scrimp elsewhere if we have to, or not get anyone.

No point fucking about adding 4 or 5 mediocre players. We need one or two top class talents.

That is what I want, two class players. The two positions do not need to be pointed out.

I honestly think there are people on here who know better than who we employ, some of the knowledge on here is frightening but these people get paid to find it, about time they earnt their crust.

We will probably only sign about two first team players - a right sided midfielder and probably a striker. Maybe a left sided midfielder if Maxi leaves and we can get rid of the lies of Cole and Aquilani.

Whether we can get "top class" players is another issue entirely. We won't be in the CL (again) and therefore many established players will be out of our reach. Can anyone name a top class right sided midfielder that we could realistically get?

I think we should sign Hoilett as an addition to our squad. He would cost fuck all (as his contract expires after this season). There'll be a host of (attractive) clubs after him this summer but if, for once, we are aggressive and smart we could pick him up now for a paltry fee.

He provides more than Kuyt, Maxi, Downing, Henderson as an attacking player. 21 years old and has done well at a shite team. Impressed me since his first few games this season and, funnily enough without knowing we would be linked, I wondered at the time why we didnt bring him in. He is fast and powerful (both of which we lack), but above all, seems to be reasonably smart - a quality that we lack bar Suarez and Gerrard.

He may not be a "star" signing but his acquisition won't dent our transfer budget very much at all whilst providing us with more quality in the final third. His youth means that if we bring him in, along with other top-class youngsters, he could become part of a very good team/squad looking forward and provides a sell-on fee.

We will probably only sign about two first team players - a right sided midfielder and probably a striker. Maybe a left sided midfielder if Maxi leaves and we can get rid of the lies of Cole and Aquilani.

Whether we can get "top class" players is another issue entirely. We won't be in the CL (again) and therefore many established players will be out of our reach. Can anyone name a top class right sided midfielder that we could realistically get?

Krasic.

I think we should sign Hoilett as an addition to our squad. He would cost fuck all (as his contract expires after this season). There'll be a host of (attractive) clubs after him this summer but if, for once, we are aggressive and smart we could pick him up now for a paltry fee.

It's late and perhaps i'm missing something, but how would we "pick up" Hoilett now for a supposedly paltry fee, when the transfer window isn't open?

Who would we be paying this paltry fee to? He's out of contract, Blackburn won't see a penny and we're not allowed to make contact with him, let alone get him to sign anything and pay a fee.

I think Kenny must settle on a formation first. If we persist (incorrectly, in my opinion) playing a 442, we need at least two proven wingers. However, if we use a 4231, we could by one quality forward and also have a gamble on someone like Moses.

I think Hoilett would be perfect as a wide forward in a 4231. His biggest weakness is probably crossing the ball. But, in a 4231, the full back is generally the widest attacking player. He reminds me of Ashley Young but with better dribbling ability and poorer crossing.

What would help us, is a big box to box midfielder to assist Lucas. My dream would be to buy Rodwell from the bitters for 18 Mill. A midfield of Rodwell and Lucas would have us set for the next ten years. Then buy Hoilett, Moses and a back up striker. I think that team would challenge for a champions league spot.

Striker - Carroll Back up - Suarez, AN Other

Wide Forward - Suarez, Hoilett Back up - Moses, Downing, Sterling, Gerrard

No 10 - Gerrard Back up - Hoilett, Shelvey, Henderson

CMs - Lucas, Rodwell Back up - Henderson, Gerrard, Spearing

Full backs - Johnson, Enrique Back up - Kelly, Henderson, Agger

Centre Half - Skrtel, Agger Back up - Coates, Kelly, Wisdom

Rodwell is overrated.

We need to sign an experienced and top class winger who can help bring Sterling through.

Add to that a top finisher and we will have improved immeasurably. However, I'd also bin off half our existing central midfielders and get Martinez or Eriksson in.

Krasic is at a club that will qualify for the cl. It would be unlikely he would come here and will prob attract quite a bit of interest himself, the Only way I see it is if we offer silly wages.

We do seem to get overun in the cm alot and the 442 doesnt work with the players we have. What we need is to get someone next to Lucas to build a solid the solid platform and then play to our strengths, which is what suits most of our players - a 4231. The main player that doesn't fit this style is Carroll. are we willing to write off £35m? if we are to progress I think we need to.

Edited by JagSquared

Krasic is at a club that will qualify for the cl. It would be unlikely he would come here and will prob attract quite a bit of interest himself, the Only way I see it is if we offer silly wages.

Krasic doesn't get a game at Juve and I doubt any of the elite clubs Scum, Barca, Real, Bayern, Inter or AC will be in for him nor would City and Chelsea so the strongest possible competition would be the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham (who have the advantage of a better recent record but we could still attract players over both of them) and then the likes of Valencia, Roma and maybe some moneybags like Anzhi too but we'd have a decent chance and he is the sort of player we need imo to make the jump inbetween Europa dross and the title challenge (i.e good enough to make the Champions League but might need replacing a couple of years after to take the next step like Crouch and Sissoko were)

It's late and perhaps i'm missing something' date=' but how would we "pick up" Hoilett now for a supposedly paltry fee, when the transfer window isn't open?

Who would we be paying this paltry fee to? He's out of contract, Blackburn won't see a penny and we're not allowed to make contact with him, let alone get him to sign anything and pay a fee.[/quote']

Maybe I'm being silly here but I thought that it was common for clubs to "arrange" transfers, or at least agree on them before the transfer market is open. And for the transfer to officially go through when it does open.

And we would pay Blackburn. Are they not allowed to sell him, as he is still under contract?

I don't know how it works to be honest so its guesswork on my part.

Maybe I'm being silly here but I thought that it was common for clubs to "arrange" transfers, or at least agree on them before the transfer market is open. And for the transfer to officially go through when it does open.

And we would pay Blackburn. Are they not allowed to sell him, as he is still under contract?

I don't know how it works to be honest so its guesswork on my part.

Ah OK. We can't really broker a deal with Blackburn though as the day it would need to go through, day one of the transfer window, Hoilett would, essentially, be out of contract.

If we want him, we'll have to bide our time and hope he hasn't already had too many offers from abroad.

Ah OK. We can't really broker a deal with Blackburn though as the day it would need to go through' date=' day one of the transfer window, Hoilett would, essentially, be out of contract.

If we want him, we'll have to bide our time and hope he hasn't already had too many offers from abroad.[/quote']

we'd have to give Blackburn compensation, either through agreeing it with them or set by a tribunal

If Kuyt and Maxi are leaving then they need to be replaced, and considering the part that they have played this season, Hoillet, Zaha or Moses would be ideal.

But we could get Inler and Marin for £20-25m, and they would offer so much more. Sales should bring in a bit, it may make sense to sell Johnson if RM offer enough.

I think Kenny must settle on a formation first. If we persist (incorrectly, in my opinion) playing a 442, we need at least two proven wingers. However, if we use a 4231, we could by one quality forward and also have a gamble on someone like Moses.

I think Hoilett would be perfect as a wide forward in a 4231. His biggest weakness is probably crossing the ball. But, in a 4231, the full back is generally the widest attacking player. He reminds me of Ashley Young but with better dribbling ability and poorer crossing.

What would help us, is a big box to box midfielder to assist Lucas. My dream would be to buy Rodwell from the bitters for 18 Mill. A midfield of Rodwell and Lucas would have us set for the next ten years. Then buy Hoilett, Moses and a back up striker. I think that team would challenge for a champions league spot.

Striker - Carroll Back up - Suarez, AN Other

Wide Forward - Suarez, Hoilett Back up - Moses, Downing, Sterling, Gerrard

No 10 - Gerrard Back up - Hoilett, Shelvey, Henderson

CMs - Lucas, Rodwell Back up - Henderson, Gerrard, Spearing

Full backs - Johnson, Enrique Back up - Kelly, Henderson, Agger

Centre Half - Skrtel, Agger Back up - Coates, Kelly, Wisdom

I agree in general with what you are saying, but whats the point in buying both Hoilett and Moses when we have Sterling who needs to start getting games for his development? Perhaps its because you have forgotten Bellamy from your squad, as he would surely be one of the wide forwards.

I also think we need someone like Rodwell, but he will be overpriced for how good he actually is, and there is probably much better value out there, even if they are more expensive such as M'vila or Martinez.

Yes, I did forget Bellamy. In truth, I don't think Downing suits a 4231. I think he needs to be the widest man to be effective and struggles to play "between the lines".

I agree about Rodwell in terms of being overvalued (much in the way Carroll was). I think M'vila is possible. Martinez will be way too expensive and will end up at Real or Barca. Sissoko is also a good shout.