You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I think that the disagreements in this thread mostly stem from differences in what people think we should be targeting next season.

If all you want is "improvement" in the league, i.e. a fifth-place finish, maybe a good challenge for fourth and a run in a cup or two, then you would see Moses and Sessegnon and say yes, they are (slightly) better than what we already have, so they're good and realistic targets.

If you are looking for us to at least have an outside chance of challenging for the league, certainly if not next year then by the year after that, then those players are not what you'd like to see coming in.

As for me, I'm in the second camp, but I'm willing to come around to the first one if we don't have anything to spend. In other words, if the rumours of 20 million to spend or thereabouts are true, then obviously the best we can hope for is to improve things a bit and hope that a few bounces fall our way next year (unlike this year). At present, though, I'm still really hoping we'll see the owners back Kenny strongly (again) and we'll have a chance at one of the top young talents that will be available this summer.

He's not a striker though.

He's definitely the best realistic option if we're looking for someone from the PL as his contract is up at the end of next year

I do not see him being good enough,rather Hoillet and u don't know if he is good enough to start if we want top 4.

If we were to sign just 1 of our realistic targets I'd love to sign Cabeye. He's an old fashioned midfield player. Not an attacking midfielder or defensive midfielder, just an old school midfielder who controls the pace of a game, gets a tackle in, can score a goal, creates chances and most importantly he's a winner and a sly dirty cunt. Newcastle would probably want another £30m for him so maybe he's not realistic after all but £20m or less I'd be all over it. If he's not possible my next choice would be James McCarthy

In the bargain basement I'd throw £2/3m at Klasnic, he'd score 15 goals at Anfield against the shit.

Albrighton would choke as soon as he put on a Liverpool shirt.

We bought supposedly solid' date=' if unspectacular Prem players before and almost to a man they've bottled it. Why would we repeat that by going after someone who still goes missing in a Villa shirt?

We've built a reasonable squad, but it's heavy on workers and light on creativity and we don't need another body who'll supposedly come good in a few years and gets rotated out of any chance of form or proper development.

Right now, if they're not a definite upgrade, guaranteed to walk into the starting eleven, i can't see the point.

De Jong (Luuk) and a good RW with some international experience would go a long way to help.[/quote']

Maybe the Albrighton ship has sailed. Hes not had a great season but then who at at Villa has?

Would you expect ANY offensive player to really flourish under McCleish?

I wouldn't write him off just yet.

All i know is i would have been (and was) 100% more comfortable getting him for say, £10 mill from Villa, than that cowardly, proven, non-entity we paid them £18mill for.

A total disaster.

Here's what I think we need:

1. A all-round CM with the ability to come into the first team now. (£10m)

2. A top-quality winger who is ready to step up. (£15m)

3. A cheaper gamble winger/attacker with potential to be top class. (Moses/Hoilett, though Moses is better for sure.) (£5m)

4. A proven goalscorer who is ready to step up. (£15m)

Problem is that I don't know anything about football outside of England really and I don't know how much we will have to spend.

van Wolfswinkel and Daniel Sturridge. Apart from being a greedy player, I think Sturridge paired with van Wolf (as an attacking mid) could be interesting. Not sure we need to mess around with the defense, but cover for Enrique needed since Aurelio will be moved on.

van Wolfswinkel and Daniel Sturridge. Apart from being a greedy player, I think Sturridge paired with van Wolf (as an attacking mid) could be interesting. Not sure we need to mess around with the defense, but cover for Enrique needed since Aurelio will be moved on.

Johnson can cover that.

Henderson can cover Johnson.

He's more use there than in MF.

There's even a case for a straight swap with Johnson and Henderson down the right.

Pick from Kelly Agger and Skrtel in the middle.

Robinson Flanagan Enrique Johnson and Henderson as FBs.

Should be enough.

Here's what I think we need:

1. A all-round CM with the ability to come into the first team now. (£10m)

2. A top-quality winger who is ready to step up. (£15m)

3. A cheaper gamble winger/attacker with potential to be top class. (Moses/Hoilett, though Moses is better for sure.) (£5m)

4. A proven goalscorer who is ready to step up. (£15m)

Problem is that I don't know anything about football outside of England really and I don't know how much we will have to spend.

1. James Rodriguez

2. Adam Johnson

3. Moses

4. Huntelaar

shame paddy mccourt can't get fit. fucking quality player!

I'd say OK players play in OK teams, and OK teams finnish somewhere between 7-13 in the table, so i guess that means they have been OK. Granted by Liverpool standards they have been shite, but since they are not and havent been Liverpool standard players prior to coming here we should not be that surprised. I'd say buying the likes of which you mentioned there is exactly what we should not do, those are players that are no better than the ones we already have here. And that's been our problem ever since the last owners got sussed out, we have mostly bought players that havent been an improvement on what we've already got here. For us to improve that has to stop. And i refuse to believe decent mid table premiership players is the best we can hope to attract.

Some sense ! thank you ......

Piss take some of these names being mentioned on here ...

Its quite astonishing , makes you wonder if theres anything between the ears of some people or if they have paid any sort of attention at whats been going on with the club.

That's a bit OTT. I don't care where players are born. The issue is quality, and banging on as if there's no such thing as a quality British footballer is just fucking stupid.

Henderson, Carroll, Downing and Adam were poor signings, we all know that. But their nationality isn't the issue. There are loads of brilliant players from this part of the world, or already playing in the Premiership.

Yes, one could argue about the "premium" but the major issue with paying £16m for Henderson is that he's shite.

And he'd be shite whatever you paid for him.

German newspaper Bild says Schalke 04's team bus accidentally left without top scorer Klaas-Jan Huntelaar after Saturday's 1-1 draw with Augsburg.

Huntelaar definitely not part of Schalke's future then. Can't get a seat on the bus even.

That's a bit OTT. I don't care where players are born. The issue is quality, and banging on as if there's no such thing as a quality British footballer is just fucking stupid.

Henderson, Carroll, Downing and Adam were poor signings, we all know that. But their nationality isn't the issue. There are loads of brilliant players from this part of the world, or already playing in the Premiership.

Yes, one could argue about the "premium" but the major issue with paying £16m for Henderson is that he's shite.

And he'd be shite whatever you paid for him.

Definatly that is the main issue , we desperatly need quality.

I probably was being ott but its frustrating seeing people name some of this shite , we cant afford to keep on making the same mistakes in the transfer market we need to be way more creative in that department , if you didn't know what club forum this thread belonged to you could easily mistake it for a Villa or Sunderland forum.

We quite clearly need to knock buying these overpriced English players on the head , saying that though one we should do our best to get is Nathan Redmond , a right winger who has bags of talent/pace and will be a top player ..... Adam Johnson wouldn't be bad either but thats it.

Theres loads of affordable talent off these shores , its about time we went and got some of it.

Definatly that is the main issue , we desperatly need quality.

I probably was being ott but its frustrating seeing people name some of this shite , we cant afford to keep on making the same mistakes in the transfer market we need to be way more creative in that department , if you didn't know what club forum this thread belonged to you could easily mistake it for a Villa or Sunderland forum.

We quite clearly need to knock buying these overpriced English players on the head , saying that though one we should do our best to get is Nathan Redmond , a right winger who has bags of talent/pace and will be a top player ..... Adam Johnson wouldn't be bad either but thats it.

Theres loads of affordable talent off these shores , its about time we went and got some of it.

Yeah, but it's become an easy trope to fill up the boards with:

"Kenny went English. English players are shit. Kenny wanted Premiership proven. Premiership proven players are shit"

Not really true is it?

Yeah, but it's become an easy trope to fill up the boards with:

"Kenny went English. English players are shit. Kenny wanted Premiership proven. Premiership proven players are shit"

Not really true is it?

It is to an extent because the English and/or Premier League proven players available to us aren't good enough.

We were never going to take players from Chelsea/United/City/Tottenham/Arsenal.

Obviously if we could have bought Sturridge, Wilshere, Van Persie and Modric then fair enough. But we weren't going to were we?

There were much better players available from abroad, and of course they'd be cheaper as well.