You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I don't think Lucas needs to be improved upon. He's not the flashiest player granted but he does his job and is actually pretty versatile. He has the potential to develop into a world class player and I think as long as he recovers well from his injury we need to keep giving him games.

Honestly I think he's at least as good as Masch was for us. Not as fast and doesn't make the epic sliding tackles as often but that's usually because he doesn't have to and can just win the ball outright without going to ground do to positioning and game intelligence.

Think our targets in the summer should be mainly attacking. I wouldn't be surprised to see another DM brought in but I don't think it's as high up on the priority list as better attackers (particularly wide attackers) are.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't think Lucas needs to be improved upon. He's not the flashiest player granted but he does his job and is actually pretty versatile. He has the potential to develop into a world class player and I think as long as he recovers well from his injury we need to keep giving him games.

Honestly I think he's at least as good as Masch was for us. Not as fast and doesn't make the epic sliding tackles as often but that's usually because he doesn't have to and can just win the ball outright without going to ground do to positioning and game intelligence.

Think our targets in the summer should be mainly attacking. I wouldn't be surprised to see another DM brought in but I don't think it's as high up on the priority list as better attackers (particularly wide attackers) are.

I think people underestimate the role a defensive midfielder plays in attack. Mascherano often turned defence into attack in the blink of an eye; winning the ball deep, then either charging forward and carrying it up field, or playing it to Alonso, who'd spray it around. That's what we need from midfield.

I'd go as far as to say that the defensive midfielder plays one of the most important parts in a team's attacking unit.

I think people underestimate the role a defensive midfielder plays in attack. Mascherano often turned defence into attack in the blink of an eye; winning the ball deep, then either charging forward and carrying it up field, or playing it to Alonso, who'd spray it around. That's what we need from midfield.

I'd go as far as to say that the defensive midfielder plays one of the most important parts in a team's attacking unit.

Statistically Lucas breaks up the play more than any other player, so you've already got what you want in that position. Is the breaking up of the play not sexy enough?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Statistically Lucas breaks up the play more than any other player, so you've already got what you want in that position. Is the breaking up of the play not sexy enough?

Well, I tend to watch the player with my own eyes before I look at stats. Breaking up play is entirely different to stopping dangerous manoeuvres and choosing the right move to turn that break into attack. Lucas does break up the play fairly well, it's pretty much his major role in the team.

Again, I'm not saying Lucas is a bad player. For some reason, I feel the need to repeat these things because people are reading into what I'm saying. He's a decent player, he does a good job. I think we need more than that if we're going to win the league, that's all. I think we need power, pace, drive and tempo in the middle of the park. Gerrard offers that in advanced roles. Nobody offers it in deeper positions.

There's no stat for that. It's eyes only.

So when Mascherano does it it's "stopping dangerous manoeuvres" but when Lucas does it it's "breaking up play"? As I thought, just not sexy enough.

I think we need discipline, tactical awareness, sound decision making and an excellent range of passing in the holding role and already have it. I do think there's an argument to strengthen that position, though, depending on how well Spearing plays for the rest of the season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
So when Mascherano does it it's "stopping dangerous manoeuvres" but when Lucas does it it's "breaking up play"? As I thought, just not sexy enough.

No to the question. As for sexiness, whilst I like it. I'm just about the most pragmatic football fan about. Tediously do. I want to win, regardless of how we do it. My point is about the lack of information a simple statistic gives us.

I think we need discipline, tactical awareness, sound decision making and an excellent range of passing in the holding role and already have it. I do think there's an argument to strengthen that position, though, depending on how well Spearing plays for the rest of the season.

I think there's a really strong argument. Don't you watch us and think we just lack any sort of tempo control (like Alonso used to give us) or drive from deep?

I do. That's exactly the way I feel about our play. When Bellamy or Suarez or Gerrard picks the ball up and runs towards players, everybody loves it because it's dangerous and creates chances and stretches the play. We need that.

Definitely don't need to replace Lucas. A defensive midfielder is a low priority as Lucas and Spearing are very good and hopefully Coady will be ready for the first team next season as well.

The main priorities are definitely a right winger (possibly two) and another striker. We still need more pace in midfield and we need another option up front. Maybe we will go back in for that Teixeira lad but I doubt the asking price will have dropped any by then. Sinclair would be a good option for the summer but he is naturally left sided I believe, so I'm not sure where he would fit in other than as an alternative to Downing. I like Hoilett but hopefully we will be looking at (and in a position to buy) someone a bit more established than that.

I think Lucas does exactly what you described. He breaks up the play and then quickly and efficiently passes the ball to the best option provided by a teammate and then makes him himself available for a return ball.

Lucas also makes a lot of well-timed intelligent runs though they do tend to be ignored. I think eventually he'll start scoring himself a few goals.

I guess to say it simple, I'm not sure who is out there and available that would be a significant enough upgrade on what Lucas is now for us. Theoretically they'd also need to match his potential for further improvement, whilst not being overpriced.

That's why, for me, I think the priorities are out wide. Hopefully we can find at least one winger that is pacy, tricky and relatively unselfish but capable of scoring as well, preferably we'd upgrade on both sides of midfield. A striker is also needed, especially if we let Dirk go in the summer as seems to be expected.

Only after that would I want us to look at adding another defensive midfielder as cover for or to potentially partner Lucas in games where two DM's might be deemed necessary.

Lucas and Spearing as back up is more than capable of getting us top 4, in my opinion. The back 5 and defensive midfield positions are fine and don't need upgraded.

The likes of Adam and Henderson should be relegated to squad players and replaced with top quality additions. I'd be happy if we went all out for 3 top quality signings: A striker, right winger and a playmaker.

Right wing's a definite problem area for us.

I'd like to see us go for Swansea's Nathan Dyer. He's 25, English, got voted their player of the year last season, he was fucking superb against us at Anfield and seems reliable, level-headed and consistent.

Anything over £400,000 and they've made a profit on him. I'm convinced Dalglish'll be in for him in the summer.

Dyer, Hoilett, Sinclair aren't the quality of player that will get us challenging City, United & Spurs. We need to stop fucking around with decent/promising Premiership players & buy genuine world class quality players.

Oh as for Lucas, I can't think of many better DM's is Europe let alone the premiership. If people are genuinely thinking of replaceing him then we might as well start looking to upgrade on 90% of the team too. Lucas would walk into every Premeirship side. With Lucas, Spearing, Henderson, Adam & Gerrard, CM is the last position we should be looking at.

At the sign of repeating myself but its all about the front 4 this summer. Quality, quality & more quality required.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Dyer, Hoilett, Sinclair aren't the quality of player that will get us challenging City, United & Spurs. We need to stop fucking around with decent/promising Premiership players & buy genuine world class quality players.

Oh as for Lucas, I can't think of many better DM's is Europe let alone the premiership. If people are genuinely thinking of replaceing him then we might as well start looking to upgrade on 90% of the team too. Lucas would walk into every Premeirship side. With Lucas, Spearing, Henderson, Adam & Gerrard, CM is the last position we should be looking at.

At the sign of repeating myself but its all about the front 4 this summer. Quality, quality & more quality required.

I obviously disagree with the middle paragraph, but you're totally right in terms of quality. We've been making the same mistakes for years.

I think there's a really strong argument. Don't you watch us and think we just lack any sort of tempo control (like Alonso used to give us) or drive from deep?

I do. That's exactly the way I feel about our play. When Bellamy or Suarez or Gerrard picks the ball up and runs towards players, everybody loves it because it's dangerous and creates chances and stretches the play. We need that.

No I don't really, I think we have great balance in the midfield when Lucas, Adam and Henderson play together and we control most of the games using these players. I don't want my holding player running from deep, I'm happy for Suarez and Bellamy to do all of that stuff and sometimes I touch myself when it happens. Adam and Henderson offer good support and late runs into the box so I think we're covered there too.

Mascherano never really bombed on running at defenders or breaking into the box, although I do recall Lucas doing it and rounding the keeper in the UEFA Cup/dancing into the box winning penalties.

Where we can definitely improve is converting our chances, so if Carroll isn't the man maybe we need to look at someone better. There are also rumours that Kuyt will be sold so he would need replacing. OMG I'm talking about transfers.

Excellent post from saintslfc13.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No I don't really, I think we have great balance in the midfield when Lucas, Adam and Henderson play together and we control most of the games using these players. I don't want my holding player running from deep, I'm happy for Suarez and Bellamy to do all of that stuff and sometimes I touch myself when it happens. Adam and Henderson offer good support and late runs into the box so I think we're covered there too.

Mascherano never really bombed on running at defenders or breaking into the box, although I do recall Lucas doing it and rounding the keeper in the UEFA Cup/dancing into the box winning penalties.

Where we can definitely improve is converting our chances, so if Carroll isn't the man maybe we need to look at someone better. There are also rumours that Kuyt will be sold so he would need replacing. OMG I'm talking about transfers.

Excellent post from saintslfc13.

Ah, well, I totally disagree. That's a'right though. Shit happens. I'm sure we'll get over it.

As for Masch bombing forward, I didn't say he did. I said there's two sorts, one that bites heels and ones that are box to box. Masch was the former.

I obviously disagree with the middle paragraph, but you're totally right in terms of quality. We've been making the same mistakes for years.

What I will say to those who don't (bizarrely) rate Lucas is that the Mancs have recently been winning titles with a very fucking average midfield. FFS they've had to bring Scholes out of retirement this season to play alongside 38 yr old Giggs & yet are still joint top. I've been saying it for years but against the majority of shite in the PL its about an attacking intent minset the quality of your front 4. Most PL teams just can't handle Valencia, Nani, Rooney & Berbatov/Hernandez/Welbeck. United very rarely dominate teams anymore like they used to too but they create chances thanks to their attacking quality.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
What I will say to those who don't (bizarrely) rate Lucas is that the Mancs have recently been winning titles with a very fucking average midfield. FFS they've had to bring Scholes out of retirement this season to play alongside 38 yr old Giggs & yet are still joint top. I've been saying it for years but against the majority of shite in the PL its about an attacking intent minset the quality of your front 4. Most PL teams just can't handle Valencia, Nani, Rooney & Berbatov/Hernandez/Welbeck. United very rarely dominate teams anymore like they used to too but they create chances thanks to their attacking quality.

I don't disagree, but we're looking to better the four/five teams above us. It's not about United.

I do agree it's about attacking intent, pace, power... And I do think they're priorities over replacing Lucas. I've never said replacing Lucas is a priority, that he's not good, anything like that. I'm saying, over the next two transfer windows, we need (in my opinion) four first team players and two young players coming through. That's how we'll win the league, in my opinion.

I don't disagree, but we're looking to better the four/five teams above us. It's not about United.

I do agree it's about attacking intent, pace, power... And I do think they're priorities over replacing Lucas. I've never said replacing Lucas is a priority, that he's not good, anything like that. I'm saying, over the next two transfer windows, we need (in my opinion) four first team players and two young players coming through. That's how we'll win the league, in my opinion.

I'll be surprised if Lucas doesn't become Captain. Obviously will depend on how he comes back from injury but unless Barca/Rea or the two Milan clubs come in with a big offer he'll be here and 1st choice for many years to come.

I'm not arsed about power up front. I'd rather a clever player than a bulldozer. A front 3 of lets say Suarez/Hazard/Rossi would be all shorter than 5ft 9. It'd create fucking havoc though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'll be surprised if Lucas doesn't become Captain. Obviously will depend on how he comes back from injury but unless Barca/Rea or the two Milan clubs come in with a big offer he'll be here and 1st choice for many years to come.

I think we look at Lucas through different eyes, mate. Which one of Xavi, Fabregas, Busquets or Mascherano is he going to replace? Do you honestly see him as the best defensive midfielder in Europe?

I'm not arsed about power up front. I'd rather a clever player than a bulldozer. A front 3 of lets say Suarez/Hazard/Rossi would be all shorter than 5ft 9. It'd create fucking havoc though.

Suarez has plenty of power. Having power isn't about being a wrecking ball. I want a player with power, pace, skill and intelligence. When paying big money, that's what you should get.