You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

No, that's a bit shit from you that.

I'm on about picking up very good players for very good prices who will fit a PL system and fix what's broken about our team.

Sandro is a brilliant talent, a proper destroyer, we'd be lucky to have him.

Fletcher scores goals. He may not look like a dashing young Spanish forward with a head of hair and a fancy name but he scores goals inside the box with great regularity considering the teams he's played in during his time in the PL.

Sessegnon has grown on me, we are missing that type of Benayoun magic, and this lad has that and has pace and strength. If he can get himself up for Sunderland then he can get himself up for us.

I bet we could get all three for something under £20m, just about.

I'm not advocating 'Buy British', I'm advocating 'Buy Good'.

Fletcher? Albrighton? Some of you are clearly demented.

Fletcher scores goals in one of the worst Prem sides ever.

He would have done well with us this year.

Albrighton has floundered a bit this year, but would have been, and still is, a way better bet than Downing.

Note these are REALISTIC targets not wank lists.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
No, that's a bit shit from you that.

I'm on about picking up very good players for very good prices who will fit a PL system and fix what's broken about our team.

Sandro is a brilliant talent, a proper destroyer, we'd be lucky to have him.

Fletcher scores goals. He may not look like a dashing young Spanish forward with a head of hair and a fancy name but he scores goals inside the box with great regularity considering the teams he's played in during his time in the PL.

Sessegnon has grown on me, we are missing that type of Benayoun magic, and this lad has that and has pace and strength. If he can get himself up for Sunderland then he can get himself up for us.

I bet we could get all three for something under £20m, just about.

I'm not advocating 'Buy British', I'm advocating 'Buy Good'.

You're advocating buying 'okay' players from 'okay' teams in the premiership. That's exactly what we've done, and we've done it for a lot of money.

Assuming we're going to spend a decent wedge of whatever we have on what we hope will be a very good striker, I'd also bring in a cheaper second option.

I've been banging the Fletcher drum for a long time - in terms of small outlay and decent end product, he would have been a very shrewd signing in January.

We need to be mining leagues where there is still some semblance of value. France and Germany for example. Newcastle have been spectacularly successful in the market.

I think, for the Carroll fee we'd have been able to hoover up Reus and Hermann from Gladbach, two of the most promising talents in Germany.

In truth, I don't expect our activity this summer to be any more well informed than last summer. Bent, Defoe, Sinclair etc as targets.

On the outs, I actually think Suarez will want to leave if someone like Barcelona, Real Madrid, even PSG, come in with a big bid.

I've been banging the Fletcher drum for a long time - in terms of small outlay and decent end product, he would have been a very shrewd signing in January.

He is a player I like a lot but not the right one for us I reckon, he has done better this year but is still not exactly clinical and seems to miss a number of chances which is what our problem already is

Sandro is a good shout to beef up the centre mid position and give us a bit of presence in there.

Maxi and Kuyt look like they will be gone so take one of Kalou or Farfan (not world beaters but they are both pacy and goal threats) on a free and then buy someone like Mertens from PSV to offer something totally different from what we already have.

We are a striker short as it stands and need someone quality. Soldado has that proper strikers instinct and will get goals over here. Hes like the anti-Carroll when the ball is out wide. Always trying to steal a yard in front of his man rather than standing like a statue and moaning when it isn't placed on his head. I'd also see Bellamy used as a striker more often. He was great away at Bolton and in the CC semi vs Man City when played up top.

A bit of steel, some goals added to the squad and some craft in Mertens and we'd be a much better outfit.

I can see Maxi and Dirk going + I have this gut feeling that Pepe could say cheerio as well. What sort of money would those three give us, to spend on a suitable striker?

For Maxi and Kuyt, nothing, they will both be free transfers. Reina said nine months ago he is here for the next five years. Dont think he would go to another team in the league so it would have to be a perfect fit in spain and the money would have to be right in terms of fee and wages, just don't see it.

Albrighton has floundered a bit this year, but would have been, and still is, a way better bet than Downing.

Nonsense. Might as well sign up Grant Holt and Victor Moses while we're at it.

You're advocating buying 'okay' players from 'okay' teams in the premiership. That's exactly what we've done, and we've done it for a lot of money.

Not true though, Downing, Adam, Henderson and Carroll haven't been 'okay', they've been wank.

If they were 'okay' then we wouldn't be in this position. We wouldn't be top either, but we'd be bothering the top four places.

Sessegnon could be a brilliant buy, could be.

Fletcher is not that kind of buy, he's a piece of a jigsaw, and a cheap one at that as Wolves are now relegated. I'd rather Fletcher for £5m than Connor Wickham for £12m or whatever Sunderland paid.

For the record, I also want Negredo, or Lopez, or Huntelaar, or Llorente, or Cavani, but I'm not going to presume that any of them see us as being a superior option to where they are now. I don't see any of them queuing up to join Everton or Sunderland, for example, so why would they join us?

Next season is going to be a strange one, even by this season's standards.

If the Barcodes can buy top quality like Cisse for 9 mill then so can we ...

I honestly thought Comolli would bring in top quality continental players under the radar through his contacts ... how wrong I was ..

If the net spend from FSG really is 40 mill then they will see that no end of coaching the current players will bring improvements and that 40 mill needs to rise ...

Don't know this guy or who he is but this is what he's mentioning on twitter....don't shoot the messenger!!

Wayne Gordon ‏ @Gunga__Din

Hearing #LFC are speaking to Xavi Valero about return to Melwood as goalkeeping coach

Wayne Gordon ‏ @Gunga__Din

Eduardo Macia also being spoken to regarding potential return in scouting roll #LFC

Albrighton would choke as soon as he put on a Liverpool shirt.

We bought supposedly solid, if unspectacular Prem players before and almost to a man they've bottled it. Why would we repeat that by going after someone who still goes missing in a Villa shirt?

We've built a reasonable squad, but it's heavy on workers and light on creativity and we don't need another body who'll supposedly come good in a few years and gets rotated out of any chance of form or proper development.

Right now, if they're not a definite upgrade, guaranteed to walk into the starting eleven, i can't see the point.

De Jong (Luuk) and a good RW with some international experience would go a long way to help.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He's not a striker though.

He's definitely the best realistic option if we're looking for someone from the PL as his contract is up at the end of next year

I'd sooner have Hoilett, if we're strapped for cash - and we've no idea if we are or not.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Moses is better than Hoilett.

Oh, sorry, didn't realise.

Disagree, obviously. But you know, I just don't think we're going to ever get out of this trouble by buying the likes of Moses, Fletcher and others like them. Unless we get some very good players in here, we're going nowhere.

Not true though, Downing, Adam, Henderson and Carroll haven't been 'okay', they've been wank.

If they were 'okay' then we wouldn't be in this position. We wouldn't be top either, but we'd be bothering the top four places.

Sessegnon could be a brilliant buy, could be.

Fletcher is not that kind of buy, he's a piece of a jigsaw, and a cheap one at that as Wolves are now relegated. I'd rather Fletcher for £5m than Connor Wickham for £12m or whatever Sunderland paid.

For the record, I also want Negredo, or Lopez, or Huntelaar, or Llorente, or Cavani, but I'm not going to presume that any of them see us as being a superior option to where they are now. I don't see any of them queuing up to join Everton or Sunderland, for example, so why would they join us?

Next season is going to be a strange one, even by this season's standards.

I'd say OK players play in OK teams, and OK teams finnish somewhere between 7-13 in the table, so i guess that means they have been OK. Granted by Liverpool standards they have been shite, but since they are not and havent been Liverpool standard players prior to coming here we should not be that surprised. I'd say buying the likes of which you mentioned there is exactly what we should not do, those are players that are no better than the ones we already have here. And that's been our problem ever since the last owners got sussed out, we have mostly bought players that havent been an improvement on what we've already got here. For us to improve that has to stop. And i refuse to believe decent mid table premiership players is the best we can hope to attract.