You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

The fee and wages would be huge stumbling blocks in any potential Walcott deal. I just don't see it happening without us selling a couple of players first.

Walcott is on the final year of his contract, so any transfer fee will be below £15m in my opinion, which is a good deal for a player who has scored 24 goals and created 22 in the last 2 seasons and is only 23 years old.

And seeing as we got Aquilani out and Allen in I'd estimate that Allen is on half what Aquilani was, if not less, then you've got Maxi, Kuyt and Bellamy out with only Borini coming in. There should be enough wages there to cover anything Walcott would be asking for.

Maybe you're right that we'll need to move on someone (like Carroll) to fund the Walcott deal, but whoever we sell will still need replacing, so it seems pointless selling Carroll, for example, to fund a Walcott transfer when we'll need to buy a centre forward to replace Carroll aswell.

I think that Walcott has stagnated at Arsenal, and doubt whether he would join a non CL club. I don’t think that the move is right for him, or us.

Carroll is history for me, with no direct replacement needed. I anticipate that we will see Gerrad playing further forward this season with a goal tally to match

The recent stuff on this page isn't credible at all, but both Tony Barrett (hit and miss) and Ben Thornley (spot on) have both mentioned that we are interested in Walcott. He might be unobtainable, who knows, but I believe we are trying to make that happen.

I'd be surprised if it happens but in most cases I assume the club speaks with the agent first to check the player would be interested before submitting a bid

I'd be surprised if it happens but in most cases I assume the club speaks with the agent first to check the player would be interested before submitting a bid

I'd be surprised as well - all I mean is that it isn't impossible. My mate does legal stuff for a lot of football clubs in London, Arsenal being one of them. As of Friday there was no firm contract offer on the table, that now has approximately ten months to run. Time is a ticking.

And yeah, I doubt we'd make a bid unless we spoke to his agent first.

Carroll is history for me, with no direct replacement needed.

Why not? We only have 2 senior strikers at the moment in Suarez and Borini if you take Carroll out of the equation.

One of them has been banned for long periods over the last 2 seasons and has a habit of picking up silly suspensions and the other one hasn't played over 30 games in a season before, so who knows how he'll react to such a workload, he might start picking up injuries like Torres/Owen or he might tail off towards the end of the season like a lot of young players who aren't used to playing professional football tend to do.

Say we are in for Walcott... Ignore the transfer fee and concentrate on the wage for a bit... I reckon FSG would pay him the money. They've gotten wasters off the bill like Aquilani but I don't think £100k a week would be a problem if they believe he's the right signing.

Walcott would be a quintessential moneyball signing. Young and he could potentially have re-sale value.

Guest San Don

Highly speculative but the daily wail stating Alonso may be available :drool:

Xabi Alonso to turn down contract extension at Real Madrid | Mail Online

All-conquering Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso looks set to turn down a two-year contract extension at Real Madrid in order to leave the club next summer.

The former Liverpool star - who has won the World Cup, European Championship, La Liga and the Champions League in a stellar career - will see his Bernabeu contract expire in two years.

With the 30-year-old's value depreciating rapidly and with Madrid not short of midfield options they could be willing to cash in on one of their prize assets, according to Sport.

Liverpool would be interested in bringing the former Real Sociedad schemer back to Anfield, while Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal may also be tempted to make an offer.

Say we are in for Walcott... Ignore the transfer fee and concentrate on the wage for a bit... I reckon FSG would pay him the money. They've gotten wasters off the bill like Aquilani but I don't think £100k a week would be a problem if they believe he's the right signing.

Walcott would be a quintessential moneyball signing. Young and he could potentially have re-sale value.

Not entirely aimed at you, but do people honestly not understand what 'sabremetrics' is?

The film was called 'moneyball' because the Athletics were poor. They used sabremetrics to buy undervalued players, after analyzing the important in-game statistics, to do their business and utilize what money they've been spending to the best effect.

The analyzing of in-game statistics was the entire part behind their huge change.

There is no 'built-in' ideal of trying to sell players on a high. We're being run as a business, but we are not going to be actively trying to sell our best players.

All-conquering Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso looks set to turn down a two-year contract extension at Real Madrid in order to leave the club next summer.

The former Liverpool star - who has won the World Cup, European Championship, La Liga and the Champions League in a stellar career - will see his Bernabeu contract expire in two years.

With the 30-year-old's value depreciating rapidly and with Madrid not short of midfield options they could be willing to cash in on one of their prize assets, according to Sport.

Liverpool would be interested in bringing the former Real Sociedad schemer back to Anfield, while Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal may also be tempted to make an offer.

I hope he signs a new contract at Madrid, we've got no chance of signing him and seeing him play for one of the other clubs mentioned would be sickening

Imagine if we could bring him back here on a free in two years.

I think he could play on right in to his late 30's if he still has the desire. Like the previous post said, I'd hate to see him play for any other English club.

be well pleased if we get Tello, amazed Barca don't want him in first team squad next season from few times I've seen him, I know it'd be a mammoth task for him to become a regular there but he the ability to do it just about anywhere else

They have Messi, Rodriguez, Sanchez, Afelley, Tello, Cuenca, Gerard (can't remember how to spell his last name... Deufelou or somethign), etc. all in the SAME position.

They need to get rid of one or two... easily.