You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I think I already know what I want to happen this summer.

At the moment I'd sell - Carroll, Downing, Kuyt, Maxi, Adam... these players would have to do something impressive to change my mind. I like Maxi & Kuyt, but given the wages they are on and their age - we could get better players.

I wouldn't buy a replacement for Adam. With Lucas, Gerrard, Shelvey, Spearing, Henderson we are fine and in emergencies Coady can get a chance.

I would like to see a striker bought and at least two wide players, I'd promote Sterling to the first team squad.

Who we get depends whether we get top four or not. If we do try and get Cavani, Hazard and maybe Hulk. They'd be expensive - but we should recoup a fair bit from those sales.

If we don't get top four - Comolli is going to have to find us some gems from somewhere.

Wow. This post is a massive pile of wank.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Wow. This post is a massive pile of wank.

I think we need to look at the squad seriously and honestly. A lot of the players aren't up to the level we need them to be.

After the first half yesterday, which was really quite poor, I said that I think the back five of Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique (with Doni, Kelly, Carra, Coates, and Aurelio to back them up) is pretty solid. But other than Gerrard and Suarez, everything in front of them could do with upgrading. That doesn't mean selling everybody is what I'm suggesting, just selling some and relegating others to a squad rotation position.

I think we need to look at the squad seriously and honestly. A lot of the players aren't up to the level we need them to be.

After the first half yesterday, which was really quite poor, I said that I think the back five of Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique (with Doni, Kelly, Carra, Coates, and Aurelio to back them up) is pretty solid. But other than Gerrard and Suarez, everything in front of them could do with upgrading. That doesn't mean selling everybody is what I'm suggesting, just selling some and relegating others to a squad rotation position.

For me, the initial problem is we need another right winger/forward with some pace and dynamicism, IMMEDIATELY.

We need to jettison Maxi as well, his wages are huge, and he's not providing much... nor being played often.

I think we're good enough at midfield for another year.

Then, I think the first person we should consider replacing from the forward line is Dirk Kuyt. I think he's a boss man, and everything, but we won't be able to sell him after this summer, I think, as there will likely be no buyers.

We need to replace him with a young, pacy, winger/forward with Skills.

I think we also need to add a pacy, young, striker with some ability, as well.

Our squad right now is very good, I think, and add three players, and two which will not be starting regularly will be good. It'll be the first time in years that we've not tried to tinker with the lineup too much, and it'll reap benefits.

I called LFDs post a pile of wank, because he wants to jettison what... five players? Three of them have only been here One year or less, and are starting regularly.

Then he's calling for three players that are going to cost, at least, 30m pounds each... and a ton of wages.

Pile of wank, really.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
For me, the initial problem is we need another right winger/forward with some pace and dynamicism, IMMEDIATELY.

We need to jettison Maxi as well, his wages are huge, and he's not providing much... nor being played often.

I think we're good enough at midfield for another year.

Then, I think the first person we should consider replacing from the forward line is Dirk Kuyt. I think he's a boss man, and everything, but we won't be able to sell him after this summer, I think, as there will likely be no buyers.

We need to replace him with a young, pacy, winger/forward with Skills.

I think we also need to add a pacy, young, striker with some ability, as well.

Our squad right now is very good, I think, and add three players, and two which will not be starting regularly will be good. It'll be the first time in years that we've not tried to tinker with the lineup too much, and it'll reap benefits.

I called LFDs post a pile of wank, because he wants to jettison what... five players? Three of them have only been here One year or less, and are starting regularly.

Then he's calling for three players that are going to cost, at least, 30m pounds each... and a ton of wages.

Pile of wank, really.

I agree that we need a winger and a striker, we've needed that before we spent out on Carroll and Downing, but I don't think it stops there. Certainly not in midfield. I'm hoping we have a lot of cash to spend in the summer, especially if we can sneak that fourth spot. We need, in my opinion, four starting 11 players (which I'm reliably informed doesn't exist) and 2/3 young, talented players to fill the squad. We can't rely on Bellamy too much, even if he is going great guns at the moment. We need to think of his knees and his age.

Long term, I'd be looking at this over the next two window:

------------------Reina-----------------

Johnson----Agger---Skrtel----Enrique

-----------New-------------New-------

------------------Gerrard--------------

--------Suzrez----------------New----

--------------------New

Bench:

Doni

Coates

Kelly

Adam

Lucas

Downing

New

-----------------------------

As for which players they are... who knows. I think Kenny and Comolli like the look of the two young lads at Swansea, and they're pretty tidy. We really need to get the other spaces right, though, if we're going to achieve our long term goal of getting back into Europe and win the league.

I agree that we need a winger and a striker, we've needed that before we spent out on Carroll and Downing, but I don't think it stops there. Certainly not in midfield. I'm hoping we have a lot of cash to spend in the summer, especially if we can sneak that fourth spot. We need, in my opinion, four starting 11 players (which I'm reliably informed doesn't exist) and 2/3 young, talented players to fill the squad. We can't rely on Bellamy too much, even if he is going great guns at the moment. We need to think of his knees and his age.

Long term, I'd be looking at this over the next two window:

------------------Reina-----------------

Johnson----Agger---Skrtel----Enrique

-----------New-------------New-------

------------------Gerrard--------------

--------Suzrez----------------New----

--------------------New

Bench:

Doni

Coates

Kelly

Adam

Lucas

Downing

New

-----------------------------

As for which players they are... who knows. I think Kenny and Comolli like the look of the two young lads at Swansea, and they're pretty tidy. We really need to get the other spaces right, though, if we're going to achieve our long term goal of getting back into Europe and win the league.

I definitely agree with the emboldened part. However, I thought we needed three wingers, and two strikers at the time.

The two lads at Swansea: Allen and Sinclair. Allen is tiny! He also just signed a 4 year contract, so that could be pricey. However, Sinclair, at the end of the season, will be entering the last year of his contract.

I reckon Sinclair could be that 'third' winger/forward that I was talking about, that could help Bellamy ease his way out of top flight football, really.

Downing, Suarez, Sinclair, and Bellamy + A top end winger/forward... gives us a lot of options... with Suarez/Bellamy being able to play off one of the strikers (Carroll and new striker, if Carroll keeps being productive and improving, he isn't going anywhere, I think)

I'd definitely like a new midfield General... but that'd likely be in the following Summer as Gerrard will likely be on the way out... and Carragher will likely have retired.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I definitely agree with the emboldened part. However, I thought we needed three wingers, and two strikers at the time.

The two lads at Swansea: Allen and Sinclair. Allen is tiny! He also just signed a 4 year contract, so that could be pricey. However, Sinclair, at the end of the season, will be entering the last year of his contract.

I reckon Sinclair could be that 'third' winger/forward that I was talking about, that could help Bellamy ease his way out of top flight football, really.

Downing, Suarez, Sinclair, and Bellamy + A top end winger/forward... gives us a lot of options... with Suarez/Bellamy being able to play off one of the strikers (Carroll and new striker, if Carroll keeps being productive and improving, he isn't going anywhere, I think)

I'd definitely like a new midfield General... but that'd likely be in the following Summer as Gerrard will likely be on the way out... and Carragher will likely have retired.

I wasn't saying I wanted Joe Allen or Sinclair - though they are tidy - just that I think Kenny and Damien 'Holy' Comolli are likely to bring them in.

There's loads of players around, though. Europe has loads of talent coming through. We need to get on them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Why would you relegate Lucas to the bench?

Because I think we need the level above him. He's decent and has improved, but I don't think he's a top class player. He's no Mascherano, in my opinion.

I wasn't saying I wanted Joe Allen or Sinclair - though they are tidy - just that I think Kenny and Damien 'Holy' Comolli are likely to bring them in.

There's loads of players around, though. Europe has loads of talent coming through. We need to get on them.

I like that we're looking at guys like Marko Marin. Tricky as hell, real quick, and has a decent top speed... and is 22.

Add him and someone tidy like Sinclair, and we've got good options on the flanks and it takes pressure off guys like Suarez and Downing. (of course, Suarez seems like he can deal with it... whilst Downing, clearly, cannot)

Add a striker with pace, that is young, and can grow into our system... and we've got one hell of a squad.

Because I think we need the level above him. He's decent and has improved, but I don't think he's a top class player. He's no Mascherano, in my opinion.

out of interest, can you name a better defensive midfielder in the league than him? I can't, he isn't Mascherano no but in my opinion no-one we could get is

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I like that we're looking at guys like Marko Marin. Tricky as hell, real quick, and has a decent top speed... and is 22.

Add him and someone tidy like Sinclair, and we've got good options on the flanks and it takes pressure off guys like Suarez and Downing. (of course, Suarez seems like he can deal with it... whilst Downing, clearly, cannot)

I'd love Marin. He's quality. He's definitely the type of player we should be spending our money on. I'd really love Javi Martinez, but it looks like we're probably a year or two late on that one. Fernando looks like it could be a possibility for the defensive slot, though. That'd be a great signing. We're clearly way too late on the likes of Hulk, Hazard and the likes. If we're going to get player like that, we need to do it a year or two before the other teams are willing to do it.

We're really missing pace and power in the centre and pace in attack.

I reckon De Jong is class, but City don't seem to have him starting all their games.

I'd agree De Jong is class and would probably have him as second after Lucas, can't understand why Mancini rates the likes of Barry and Milner more

but outside of Lucas and De Jong, the highly rated holding mids seem to be the likes of Song, Mikel, Carrick etc who are all a bit shit really then theres Tiote who is good but overrated imo and Parker who isn't really a holding midfielder

Hargreaves would be up there too if he had played any games in the last 15 years

I'd agree De Jong is class and would probably have him as second after Lucas, can't understand why Mancini rates the likes of Barry and Milner more

but outside of Lucas and De Jong, the highly rated holding mids seem to be the likes of Song, Mikel, Carrick etc who are all a bit shit really then theres Tiote who is good but overrated imo and Parker who isn't really a holding midfielder

Hargreaves would be up there too if he had played any games in the last 15 years

Because he slows things down too much when he's on the ball. He either takes one touch too many on the ball or picks out the wrong pass because he doesn't have the technical ability of someone like Lucas to take two touches then pass.

Lucas has shown this season that he is one of the best defensive midfielders in the premiership. There's no one in the premiership i'd have in that holding role ahead of him.

But we definitely need goalscoring midfielders and another striker.

I'm a fan of European Football, and although I did understand why we bought the players that we did, it hasn't be a complete success. We need to buy good players and stop buying players who are not good.

That is what I would like to see this summer, good players (ideally better than anyone elses) and no bad players. Bad players are not good, and I don't see what they bring to the team.

There are loads of good players in the German, French and Russian league we should look at them!

Yes, because getting a new DM to replace Lucas is such a priority as he is shit. Fuck me.

We need to look at players in attacking positions with pace. A Bellamy, but just 7-10 years younger. Players who can create something out of pace and trickery and explosiveness. They cost a lot of money, and they aren't easy to attract to your club, so hopefully we finish top 4.

We need to look at players in attacking positions with pace. A Bellamy, but just 7-10 years younger. Players who can create something out of pace and trickery and explosiveness. They cost a lot of money, and they aren't easy to attract to your club, so hopefully we finish top 4.

Bingo.

That's a top post NorwegianRed, that's what the team is missing, the explosive element, Suarez and Bellamy are our only real pacey threats with the ability to conjure something from nothing.

For me (personally) Commoli isn't earning his corn, the majority of what we got in the summer were overpriced British players, with mixed results, wasn't Commoli brought in to unearth gems for a fraction of this cost?, as if that is his remit, they he has failed miserably thusfar.