You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

There is zero chance of us signing Jovetic. I've got no idea why every year people waste their time hoping for players that there is no chance of us getting.

Krasic would be a real possibility. Maybe even Tello. Definitely Kalou. But about 7 or 8 clubs would blow us out of the water for someone like Jovetic.

Rodgers on transfers and other things.

Brendan Rodgers is monitoring the future of midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson - but he insists former club Swansea must be given a chance to persuade the Icelandic star to remain at the Liberty Stadium.

Sigurdsson tallied seven goals in 19 games after Rodgers brought him to Swansea on a loan agreement in January.

His performances in March earned him the Barclays Premier League Player of the Month.

For now the 22-year-old remains a Hoffenheim player but if a permanent move to English football is to transpire, Rodgers accepts that Swansea head the queue.

In an interview at Melwood, where he is already making plans for next season, the new Reds manager spoke to Liverpoolfc.tv about Sigurdsson as well as the future of Joe Cole.

On the former, Rodgers said: "First and foremost, Gylfi is a Hoffenheim player.

"I took him on loan for the second half of last season and he did very, very well. He scored seven goals and made a real, positive contribution.

"I wanted to sign him for Swansea but, like I've said to him and his representatives, that has to be his first port of call.

"If he comes into the market for whatever reason - and I'm sure there'll be a number of clubs interested in Gylfi - then of course I would like to be in a position to put our case here at Liverpool to sign him.

"But I've always said, I think he's a player Swansea have had an agreement with and they have to have every chance to try and sign him. That's only right.

"If anything changes from that, we'll look at it from there."

Rodgers has a shortlist of players he wants to tempt to Liverpool but, beyond clarifying his position on Sigurdsson, he*is reluctant to make public his intentions.

"I like to very much keep my counsel on potential targets," he said.

"I think there are a few players who can come in and improve the group straight away.

"I know the types of player I need to bring here to make us function well and that's something myself, the club and the board will look at.

"The problem with a club like Liverpool is they get linked with every player going. It looks like, with every player linked plus the players we've already got, we're going to have five or six teams next year.

"That's the way of the world these days. Every player wants to play for Liverpool. The magnitude, the size and the history of the club, and the quality of the people here in the city, means people will want to come and play here.

"The problem is, everyone can't.

"I know what we've got, more or less, in the squad, but I also know there are a couple of signings that could really improve what we do.

"That's something we'll work together on over the course of the summer and hopefully we can get one or two in."

As well as new names that could appear on the Liverpool teamsheet next term, Rodgers is also keen to give a fresh start to those already in the squad.

One player whose Anfield career could be revived is Cole.

The 30-year-old spent last season on loan at French side Lille, scoring nine goals in 42 appearances.

However, he is now set to return to Merseyside for pre-season following a meeting with Rodgers, who will assess Cole and other players as the Reds prepare for their 2012-13 campaign.

"I met up with Joe Cole when I was in Spain," said the boss.

"I certainly know he's looking to come back. I've got to assess all the players.

"With the likes of Joe - he's a very talented player. He's obviously gone out to Lille and done very well and he has the opportunity to come back here and show his qualities.

"For me it's fresh for everyone. I'll be new into the club. Of course I know lots of the players and their qualities but Joe is obviously a player who'll want to come back and show his worth to the group.

"There are a lot of players I'm aware of and they wouldn't be at Liverpool if they didn't have the qualities.

"I suppose going forward and over the course of pre-season I just need to decide the types of players who are going to fit into the function and the philosophy and the structure of the team.

"When a new manager comes into any club, it always sparks off that renewed motivation for players.

"The cycle with Kenny was a terrific cycle but I'm a different tactician and a different type of person and that will give all the players an opportunity to perform."

Rodgers spoke at length to club captain Steven Gerrard before being announced as Kenny Dalglish's replacement - and in the last two weeks further discussions have taken place with other senior stars.

"I've had constant communication with Steven through texts and whatnot," said Rodgers. "I've spoken to Jamie Carragher at good length and I spoke to Luis Suarez the other day, which was nice. I've had good contact with one or two of the other players as well.

"The players have been very good."

Rodgers will have to wait several more weeks before he can work with his new squad, many of whom are competing in the European Championships.

The Northern Irishman has kept an eye on matches taking place in Ukraine and Poland - but his main focus has been on familiarising himself with the corridors of Melwood.

And when the TV*is switched on, Rodgers has been just as interested in the men in the studio as those on the pitch.

He explained: "I've watched a bit of it but I can't say I've watched every single game because I've been working here at Melwood until late at night and trying to throw every second of my time into looking at ways for us to move forward.

"I've obviously taken an interest in England and particularly our boys who are involved. I've also taken an interest in Jamie Carragher as a pundit!

"He is a wonderful character. We had a good chat after the press conference. He's a good guy. He's a wonderful representation of this club.

"This club is full of legends of the game and we've got two current ones in terms of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher. I can relate to people like that - people who have passion for the club and the city.

"He takes a real interest in his football. He's got a real passion and love for it and I'm sure once his playing days are finished he'll move onto that side but for now he's still got a terrific contribution to make for us as a team and as a group.

"I am really looking forward to working with him."

Though not watching every game himself, Rodgers does have a team of scouts monitoring players at the Euros.

"There are people and coverage," he said.

"A club like this, the network of scouts has to cover the big tournaments and other games, so there'll be extensive coverage out there on behalf of the club".

Remember we have a moneyball policy, the only difference from the film is that its a different sport, no brad pitt and we haven no money. Carroll and Henderson where money ball signings actually. So was charlie adam although they did not relaise he was really 45.

Where does Downing fit into moneyball, value for money or the sell on thing that the media keep banging on about.

You may well say it's easy to say with hindsight but no matter what way you look at it, paying that sort of money for Downing never fitted.

Come to think of it, neither does £35m on a target man style forward. There might be a handful of players of that style that have been worth that money in the game.

I've read a lot about moneyball since FSG came in but don't see it happening with the transfers. Could have been why Comolli got the boot I suppose.

There is zero chance of us signing Jovetic. I've got no idea why every year people waste their time hoping for players that there is no chance of us getting.

Krasic would be a real possibility. Maybe even Tello. Definitely Kalou. But about 7 or 8 clubs would blow us out of the water for someone like Jovetic.

There is nowt wrong with speculating and hoping, MLB. You spent the whole of last summer telling us to be satisfied with Downing and Adam. How did that work out for you?

If people are not happy with signing the likes of Kalou, it's for a very fucking good reason. If we pay the fee and the wages, and get in early, there is no reason why we can't sign someone like Jovetic. He's not in the same league as a Hazard for example.

Remember we have a moneyball policy, the only difference from the film is that its a different sport, no brad pitt and we haven no money. Carroll and Henderson where money ball signings actually. So was charlie adam although they did not relaise he was really 45.

How do you know we have a moneyball policy, Carroll and Henderson were moneyball signings and we have no money?

Seems like guesswork, no offence.

There is nowt wrong with speculating and hoping, MLB. You spent the whole of last summer telling us to be satisfied with Downing and Adam. How did that work out for you?

If people are not happy with signing the likes of Kalou, it's for a very fucking good reason. If we pay the fee and the wages, and get in early, there is no reason why we can't sign someone like Jovetic. He's not in the same league as a Hazard for example.

Spot on, the French league is definitely not the same league as the Italian one. They have different clubs and everything.

Paying the kind of money we did for Downing is what cost Comolli his job.

Paying close to £20m for a player who will be 28 shortly is the opposite of the so called 'moneyball' approach.

Carroll again was over priced but at least he has age on his side and may well improve to a point where we would recoup a large part of the outlay for him.

I don't really get this argument, who exactly needs Jovetivic?

Chelsea, Arsenal, United and City don't, they already have the players in place, Barcelona and Real Madrid don't, again they have the players in place, and the same goes for Bayern. Possibly someone like PSG or Malaga, but I don't think anyone in the Italian league can afford him, both Milan clubs are selling players this year.

The same goes for Ramierez, there are not that many options for them, if we are one of them we stand a good chance.

There is no reason why we can't sign someone like Jovetic? :lol:

I didn't tell anyone to be satisfied with Downing and Adam, I said that they should probably just accept that we were going to sign them and get behind them because the idea of us getting people like Hazard was patently ridiculous. So that worked out pretty well, thanks.

There is no reason why we can't sign someone like Jovetic? :lol:

'lol' indeed. Why not? Who are the 7 or 8 clubs after him as you have claimed?

I didn't tell anyone to be satisfied with Downing and Adam, I said that they should probably just accept that we were going to sign them and get behind them because the idea of us getting people like Hazard was patently ridiculous. So that worked out pretty well, thanks.

I think everyone did get behind them once they had signed, but those with even a modicum of foresight predicted how they would turn out.

While it's all up for grabs, I am certainly not going to settle for the likes of Kalou while there are better players out there. And if Rodgers does, we're fucked.

If we can't get top drawer, well then go for potential. We have signed far too many players of Kalou's ilk and about zero percent have borne fruit.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

MLB is a total fucking retard who has no idea about football or footballers. Best ignored.

'lol' indeed. Why not? Who are the 7 or 8 clubs after him as you have claimed?

I think everyone did get behind them once they had signed, but those with even a modicum of foresight predicted how they would turn out.

While it's all up for grabs, I am certainly not going to settle for the likes of Kalou while there are better players out there. And if Rodgers does, we're fucked.

If we can't get top drawer, well then go for potential. We have signed far too many players of Kalou's ilk and about zero percent have borne fruit.

Oh, you're not going to settle for them you say? Well what are you going to do exactly? Nothing. Because there is nothing you can do.

We are not in a strong position to attract top quality players who aren't deemed to be some kind of gamble/risk. Every top club in Europe will have watched Jovetic and many of them will be in for him when the bidding starts. If you don't believe that then that's fine - I'll be happy to eat my words if he is parading around Anfield in a month's time. I am pretty confident that he won't be though.

I think that Tello and Krasic are plausible targets. I will give the benefit of any doubt to whoever Rodgers signs. What bothers me is when we sign someone and then they compared negatively to some other player that we never had any chance of signing in the first place.

MLB is a total fucking retard who has no idea about football or footballers. Best ignored.

Is correct.

He generally floats around the forum toeing the party line posting the same shit others have already posted 10 pages ago like he's posting something new.

Edited by J-V

Oh, you're not going to settle for them you say? Well what are you going to do exactly? Nothing. Because there is nothing you can do.

We are not in a strong position to attract top quality players who aren't deemed to be some kind of gamble/risk. Every top club in Europe will have watched Jovetic and many of them will be in for him when the bidding starts. If you don't believe that then that's fine - I'll be happy to eat my words if he is parading around Anfield in a month's time. I am pretty confident that he won't be though.

I think that Tello and Krasic are plausible targets. I will give the benefit of any doubt to whoever Rodgers signs. What bothers me is when we sign someone and then they compared negatively to some other player that we never had any chance of signing in the first place.

Why would Barca let Tello go who was getting more and more games under Guardiola toward the end of the season?

I don't see why Tello is anymore plausible than Jovetic If I'm being honest.

Why would Barca let Tello go who was getting more and more games under Guardiola toward the end of the season?

I don't see why Tello is anymore plausible than Jovetic If I'm being honest.

Jovetic is pretty much the finished article, Tello isn't.

Barca have a solid squad and starting places are hard to come by, Tello had been getting a few more appearances but that was likely linked with them trying to get him to sign a new contract. Barca either need to convince him or sell him now, they won't want to let him leave on a free.

Considering the other players on their books it's hard to see how he'll be anything other than a bit part player for them a la Bojan. They seem to be willing to sell, but they may insist on a buy-back clause.

The only one of the three mentioned that actually qualifies as "moneyball" would be Adam. Decent player who has some qualities a team would like in their side on a relatively low fee.

Carroll and Henderson were only moneyball in the idea that they were young with potential. The whole concept behind moneyball, even within the movie, is buying undervalued players who do enough things to a good/great standard to merit a spot in a team which when added together will lead to the team winning more games on less salary.

Carroll and Henderson were both sold at inflated prices, in Carroll's case part of that was because everyone knew we needed a striker once Torres fucked off, in both of their cases it was because they were English. A true moneyball signing would have been if we grabbed each of those cheaper than we did, or similar players who do the same things with similar potential for less money.