You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Good luck, bad luck... who's to say?

Once, there was an elderly farmer, who had a wild horse in a field. One night, there was a storm and the horse bolted in panic after kicking the gate down.

The following morning, a neighbour, and younger man, came around, being nosy.

"That's bad luck about your horse" said the neighbour, to which the farmer replied "good luck, bad luck..who's to say?"

The following morning the farmer went outside to see that his horse had returned of it's own accord.

When the neighbour turned up a little later, and saw the horse had returned, he said "that's good luck that is. The horse came back" to which the farmer replied "good luck, bad luck..who's to say?"

A few days later, the farmer's son was breaking in the horse, when the horse in it's anger, kicked the son hard on one leg, breaking the leg, and leaving the son in agony.

The neighbour, who just happened to be on his way round, rushed to the boy, as the farmer also rushed out from inside.

"That's bad luck about your son's leg" said the neighbour, to which the farmer replied "good luck, bad luck..who's to say?"

The following week, the army were in the area conscripting for WW1.

They took the neighbour, but not the farmer. They didn't take the son, because of his broken leg.

Guest San Don
Good luck, bad luck... who's to say?

Once, there was an elderly farmer, who had a wild horse in a field. One night, there was a storm and the horse bolted in panic after kicking the gate down.

"That's bad luck about your horse" said the neighbour, to which the farmer replied "good luck, bad luck..who's to say?"

The following morning the farmer went outside to see that his horse had returned of it's own accord.

When the neighbour turned up a little later, and saw the horse had returned, he said "that's good luck that is. The horse came back" to which the farmer replied "good luck, bad luck..who's to say?"

A few days later, the farmer's son was breaking in the horse, when the horse in it's anger, kicked the son hard on one leg, breaking the leg, and leaving the son in agony.

The neighbour, who just happened to be on his way round, rushed to the boy, as the farmer also rushed out from inside.

"That's bad luck about your son's leg" said the neighbour, to which the farmer replied "good luck, bad luck..who's to say?"

They took the neighbour, but not the farmer. They didn't take the son, because of his broken leg.

WTF!!?

Pacheco has not gone. No doubt Rodgers called the deal off when he realised he'd been fucked over and was about to be left with no strikers.

I doubt it!

More likely the club saw something that they didn't like about him, just as every club senior club manager that he has trained under has.

From the times I have seen him play he looks promising. It must be something fitness or attitude related?

We will probably end up just giving him a pay off and letting him go on a free.

Massive let down that we didnt get a new forward in, but at least our central midfield looks good again, im looking forward to seing what Borini and Asaidi can add and im also confident Suarez will score more this season along with the promissing breakthrough of Sterling. Glass half full for me. If we can consistently play like we did vs City not many teams will come away from Anfield with anything.

To be fair, 3 million sounds about right for Dempsey.

But the FSG clan were saying that "he had great movement, he scored all types of goals, was Fulham's best player for the year, he'd score at least 10+15 goals for us and more importantly he'd be an upgrade from Carroll" etc... Surely they could offer a bit more.

Good luck' date=' bad luck... who's to say?

They took the neighbour, but not the farmer. They didn't take the son, because of his broken leg.[/quote']

That neighbours a right fucking nosey cunt!

Is there a list of players available on free transfers? They wouldn't have to be signed today and could get us out of a bind... obviously not Owen like.

Since the gobshite left us 7 seasons ago?

He has only played 82 games in all that time.

I can see us getting him and the club announcing the prodigal son returning to a heros welcome by his loving fans.

Seriously would not surprise at all.

See, I said this the other day, BUT, on the premise that we were going to be having someone else come in. Carroll going out will turn into a good thing for us I'm sure, but if I'd have known we wouldn't be getting anyone else in I'm not so sure I would have been in favour of it.

I don't get it - Carroll was spectacularly unsuited to play in a system BR is committed to - whether or not we signed a striker - he was useless to us going forward. Also, we have just come through a period where we paid stupid money for players, now we have stopped, and are holding to our own valuation of players and people are pissed off now that we didn't pay more when Fulham wanted more - the whining and hand wringing and finger pointing going on here puts the supporters in a very bad light - grow some stones and support our new way forward.

Since the gobshite left us 7 seasons ago?

He has only played 82 games in all that time.

I can see us getting him and the club announcing the prodigal son returning to a heros welcome by his loving fans.

Seriously would not surprise at all.

I'm having serious doubts about FSG, but they can't be that fucking stupid.

Can they?

I don't get it - Carroll was spectacularly unsuited to play in a system BR is committed to - whether or not we signed a striker - he was useless to us going forward. Also, we have just come through a period where we paid stupid money for players, now we have stopped, and are holding to our own valuation of players and people are pissed off now that we didn't pay more when Fulham wanted more - the whining and hand wringing and finger pointing going on here puts the supporters in a very bad light - grow some stones and support our new way forward.

I get what you're saying, but for me I'd think a Manager with the utmost confidence in his abilities would be willing to at least spend half a season with a player to see if he can't make him adapt to the system. Sure we've got a load off the wage bill but we haven't added anything to the squad in the goals department and that's where we've been lacking most recently. We didn't get any decent offers for him I would imagine, so why not keep him and try to convert him to the player we need him to be. It's not like he's Cole or Downing who are what they are and will be, he's still young.

I get what you're saying, but for me I'd think a Manager with the utmost confidence in his abilities would be willing to at least spend half a season with a player to see if he can't make him adapt to the system. Sure we've got a load off the wage bill but we haven't added anything to the squad in the goals department and that's where we've been lacking most recently. We didn't get any decent offers for him I would imagine, so why not keep him and try to convert him to the player we need him to be. It's not like he's Cole or Downing who are what they are and will be, he's still young.

What the fuck are you on about? Unless he's like 10, then he absolutely is what he's going to be. He's a technically poor front man with zero mobility (this point is possibility even more important than his poor technical qualities) who can't play in a short passing possession style team. I mean could you imagine him as the front man for Barcelona? Fucking laughable. He doesn't fit this system and never will. Half a season will make no difference whatsoever.

I ain't got a problem with that but going into the season with 2 recognised strikers is a massive risk. Surely you can see that? We should have had the ability to bring another striker in, would it have been too much to ask before we allowed Caroll to leave? Surely cash flow is not an issue as they have not used any of their own money. We tried to play Fulham and we got played back which would have been fine if we had another target but we didn't, but let's all hope we keep Luis and Fabio fit and they don't keep on hitting the corner flag.

What the fuck are you on about? Unless he's like 10, then he absolutely is what he's going to be. He's a technically poor front man with zero mobility (this point is possibility even more important than his poor technical qualities) who can't play in a short passing possession style team. I mean could you imagine him as the front man for Barcelona? Fucking laughable. He doesn't fit this system and never will. Half a season will make no difference whatsoever.

He's twenty fucking three. I'm 23, I don't have the whole fucking world figured out. I don't your age but do/did you? If I was in Carroll's position I'd certain sure be willing to try to adapt and learn rather than go on loan to west ham. Perhaps his natural qualities don't fit sure, but people can get faster and quicker, people can learn to press from the top, they can learn better movement, hell anyone willing to dedicate the time can learn to dribble the ball like fucking Messi. Carroll's main inefficiencies are work rate and fucking technical skill both of which can be learned. If you want to add pace to that then fair enough but whilst natural pace can't be learned, he can add a few explosives steps to get away from his man with a bit of hardwork and dedication. What he can do is score goals, his size makes him naturally good in the air and we've seen the power of his shot. I couldn't imagine him playing for Barcelona now, but we aren't fucking Barcelona are we? What sense does it make to ship your third striker off without a replacement? If we'd got someone relatively proven in instead then I'd be more than happy, we didn't though. We got a German kid who looks like he could make the jump but as yet hadn't for his old team, and then we got fucking no one.

All I said was that I would have liked for Rodgers to try to mold him rather than calling him a "cover-player", if that was Hodgson that said that half of the people here would be fucking pissed and I don't even have a problem with Rodgers as I like what I've seen so far out of this new style, but I would have hoped he'd have told the owners we need to keep him for now rather than going into the majority of the first half of the campaign with only two god damn strikers, both of which seem better suited coming from out wide. Of course whether Rodgers told the owners that or not is a wholly different story, one we probably won't find the answers to anytime soon either.

I'm more willing to blame the owners than the manager but either way this whole situation is fucking ridiculous and if you can't see how only having two recognized strikers is a problem then I don't know what to tell you.

You confuse two issues, and draw the wrong conclusions from both.

Few doubt the wisdom of allowing Carroll to leave. Most will see a forward line reduced to one experienced PL striker, in a team that scored fewer goals than relegated Blackburn Rovers last season, as folly.

Is £6m for a midfielder who scored 17 league goals last season excessive in a team desperately short of goals? Offering £3m was pathetic.

This isn't a "new way forward" it is a continuation of Ayre- brained management.

If Rodgers pretends he's happy with not gettign anyone in then he's going to be proved a liar.

"I need a minimum of three strikers. Once the window shuts, that is it until January. I have got Luis Suarez, Fabio Borini and Andy Carroll.

"I would need to be a nutcase to even consider letting Andy Carroll go at this moment."

And the people who claim FSG are supporting him financially will look silly if he doesn't get a striker in the window, as he's publically said he NEEDS three strikers.

[YOUTUBE]CN_R0_yal0w[/YOUTUBE]